Black screen in windows viewer

RacingSnake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed yesterday that when reviewing the footage on the viewer, I was missing some odd gaps of footage, couple of minutes during 'normal' use?

But Also I noticed a good 20 minute section (the last 20 mins of my 2 hour journey) appears black in the viewer? - it has recorded, but only shows a black screen in the viewer.
If I locate the MP4 files for this timeframe they work fine?!

(am using a 64GB Samsung Pro U1 with 32kb allocation on the 550 - if that helps?)
Very odd.

Same issue here
None of mine show in the player, just black screen and play goes into pause button so you think it is playing. No audio recorded so can't test whether it is playing audio.
550 here too on a 32GB sandisk card.

No updates on the app so no go there. The individual mp4 files play fine under Windows 8.1 media player and VLC

Are you using windows 7 because the latest viewer has a few problems if you are using THEMES

Windows 8.1 here
What is strange if I point the player to a folder containing the mp4 files from the Blackvue 400 Version 2, they play fine. Point to the files generated by the 550 and it's blank screen.
Both camera files work fine within VLC or windows' own player but obviously with the 550, I only get front-cam and not the rear cam on top etc nor would I get google maps etc.

I am using 2.101 -HD -E which I assume is newer
It's from the SD card the 550 writes to

Same setup as AJ
Win 8.1 and 2.101HD-E

It wasn't all videos for me, just the last 20mins of 2hour journey.

I had a similar problem when in USA last year and was using a DR 400. On one day it kept going and recorded GPS info etc but no video for the rest of the day and part of the next.
Never did it again and Blackvue couldn't or wouldn't help with an explanation

Strangely I can now get into the same group as hillbilly. The days before and after the one that does not play is working fine...switch to the folder that has the "bad day" and same issue.
May try and copy one of the bad files into the folder where it works and see if it plays. If it does, maybe it is a corrupt file or something in the folder that it needs to play properly

Thankfully the other day when I needed it, it worked as I've had to work with the police etc. Just a shame I can't now remove the speed stamp :- ) but then again, the issue was a hit and run against two other people ...I'm just supplying the video evidence

ok so that did not work - where the other files work, the one I copied from the bad folder to the good still would not.
So unless it relies on the .3gf and .gps file to be working and these ones are all corrupt throughout the day, I have no idea

Mine had both those files but the Mpeg4 files were not there at all for the period

It stopped on a perfectly straight flat bit of road and then didn't start again the next day for about 70 miles. The two above files were there all the time.

Does pay to format the card every few weeks to keep it from corrupting files, I have found.

You can pull the Mpeg files out into a folder and they will play without the other two so something has gone bad.

Good idea - I am waiting on a couple more 64GB cards now so might just use them as hot swap just in-case I find that after formatting I needed it!
The only annoying thing about that though is the fact you need to remove both cables to open the door for the card. May have to rip off the door!

It could be the 64gig cards as the cameras only offer support to 32 gig

Was referring to this in OP

"am using a 64GB Samsung Pro U1 with 32kb allocation on the 550 - if that helps?)"

Yup in my case it is currently a 32gb sandisk but hoping to swap to a 64gb

I had this problem when I first had my 64gb card in my DR550.. when the card got filled to a certain point the camera kept recording but all the videos were black when played back.
I think it was because I had done a quick format on the card after doing a test to ensure that the card was not a fake..

Doing a full format of the card fixed the issue and not had the problem since.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Would be nice if posters replied telling us if they fixed the problem and how

Problem not fixed, do you have any solutions? Since it has happened on both 32 & 64 cards (in this thread) I dont think it being a 64 gb card issue is the issue.... maybe THe formatting method is.
I will try Rich's method, but since only 20 mins of footage was missing it is very difficult to replicate.

That said, some of us don't have time to reply, or even investigate issues instantly, having only been home for about 6 days in the last month we can do without the sarcastic responses.... now that would be nice.

Wasn't being in any way sarcastic but so many ask for help and never say if they fix the problem or not. The thread is 10 days old now so was just asking Terribly sorry if I upset you.:-(

Back