Blackvue 970X LTE or 770X LTE

Keiths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By way of introduction I had in my previous car a Thinkware F770. Here in the UK a device that provides Speed Camera warnings is almost vital, such is the abundance if these devices absolutely everywhere! The Thinkware provided an effective system, with what I thought, at least, was good camera quality and good quality overall build.
I switched cars in July 22 for what is again in the UK quite a rare car - a Genesis Electrified G80 which is large 5 metre plus Executive Saloon. Being very fussy I shyed away from having a Dash Cam fitted as up until recently no installer as fa's as I could tell, had installed to one of these cars, and I was concerned at the lack of familiarity with removing trim and finding a suitable power source in the car.
However recently I found a company based in Nottingham- TTW Instalations, who published a video showing a fitted Blackvue 970X LTE to an identical car, so this and from speaking to them i now feel happy to go ahead.
Now to my question, and apologies for the long preamble!! I hope longer need the Speed Camera information (the car has built in database on the Navigation), and I particularly oike the idea of remote viewing for when I'm using the car and leaving it parked, and I was considering the Blackvue 770X LTE which is available through Amazon for £479, but I have just seen the 970X LTE available for £599. Can anyone comment on whether the better 4K Camera I/O the 1080P is worth the extra, and the general opinion on Blackvue dashcams? They are certainly more expensive than the Thinkware...

If it's not urgent, you might wanna consider waiting for the upcoming 970X Plus LTE set to be released next year. It should offer a pretty big bump in terms of video quality compared to the original 970 series.

The current DR970X series of dash cameras offer video quality that is not as good as many of its competitors. Daytime footage can be okay, but at times it can be underexposed. Nighttime video is not so good (IMO) with a lot of light flares.

A couple of quick examples from a DR970X-2CH (not the LTE version which Pittasoft has stated has optimized image quality tuning compared to the DR970X non-LTE unit). My DR970X front camera is not installed in the best location, but I have no other place for it on the windshield (at the moment).

dr970x_front_day_20231110_094440_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.08.png dr970x_front_night_20231113_184900_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.06.png

As @Vortex Radar stated, if you're not in a rush to purchase a dash camera, you might want to checkout the DR970X Plus series of dash cameras which Pittasoft has estimated to be released in first couple of months of 2024. The DR970X Plus series will have a Sony STARVIS 2 front camera image sensor and a different lens to allow more light into the image sensor.

Adding to this dog pile, I was sent a 970X for test & review;
The image quality was so bad I sent it back to BlackVue.
Just like Vortex & RCG said you might want to wait for the new STARVIS 2 models.
But even those won’t have HDR, so if they’re anything like the Thinkware U3000, (same IMX678 image sensor) night time image quality will be poor.

Many thanks for the replies. In terms of pricing here in the UK, the 970X LTE is some £200 more than the 770. The £599 price I saw and mentioned above was for the IR model.
It would seem the 770X LTE whilst only 1080P but still 60fps might represent the more sensible purchase. I almost get the impression the 970 model is bought as it represents the top model and as such it’s bought more by those that don’t look into these things and just spend the money on what they are told is the best!
Also just to throw something else into the mix, there is also the Thinkware T700 LTE although that's 1080P but only 30fps, but a further £100 less than the 770X…

Shop specifications first.
2023 Minimum Requirements;
1.) STARVIS 2 Image Sensor
2.) HDR
Anything less, and you’ll be watching image quality from 5-6 years ago.

Back