BlackVue DR650-2ch vs G1W screen capture comparison - BlackVue seems worse?!

Chuck13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the G1W for a long time and it was cheap ($60). Recently I bought the BlackVue DR650 ($360) since I want dual camera and Parking Mode (PM) capability.

However, running both dashcam at the same time, it seems that the G1W have much better quality, especially in the color reproduction. I have attached the screen captures below.

I am on firmware 1.009. Brightness is set at "Normal" and Picture Quality is set at "Highest". Is there anything I need to do for the BlackVue or this just it?

G1W at night (Part 1)
G1_W_1.png

BlackVue at night (Part 1) - compared to the above, the BlackVue is washed out and less sharper. Roof light is actually yellow, not white.
Black_Vue_1.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G1W at night (Part 2)
G1_W_2.png

BlackVue at night (Part 2)
- see the car on the left and right, the G1W is sharper and color reproduction is better. I can also make out the number "2" at the front better than the BlackVue
Black_Vue_2.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G1W during daytime (Part 3)

G1_W_3.png

BlackVue during daytime (Part 3)
- same story for the BlackVue: color is washed out and less sharper than the G1W.
Black_Vue_3.png

Your G1W at night Part 1 night shot looks really blurred and to be honest I prefer the Blackvue Part 1 at night shot by some margin........and I'm no big fan of Blackvue

Same again with the night view Part 2 - I still prefer the Blackvue shots and still think those G1W shots are just too out of focus for my liking.

I prefer the G1W Part 3 daytime shot to the Blackvue but only just

Just my opinion

My 500GW was super clear. (at a stand still). I have the 650 now. I'll try to grab a few stills.
zistc6.jpg

Yep, clear when I am not moving.

Here is a comparison between DR650GW-2CH and Mini 0805

edit:best to watch full screen in 1080p

Like Andy, I'm not a big fan of BV footage quality, especially the daytime 'glare' (to use a technical term...), and have to take my compensation in other of the BV features (notably, form factor, and which I prefer over others). The demo of the cheaper mini 0805 seems to once again demonstrate the somewhat inferior quality of the BV PQ. However, I have to say that I don't like the night shots of the GW1 at all, and even the day shot appears more blurry than the BV.

Here is a comparison between DR650GW-2CH and Mini 0805

edit:best to watch full screen in 1080p
Are you using custom firmware on the BV? I saw the word "custom" on the left video.

BlackVue
Z7PRqq6.jpg

Mini 0805
BYtNh5B.jpg

I happen to think in the above example the Mini 0805 produces a better quality image than the BlackVue.

The Mini is more focussed at the required distance, whereas the BV appears more focused at very short distance - look at the dashboards in each. Can the use of custom software be ruled out as an effect, I wonder?

Last edited:
I certainly prefer the BV video above, not sure the BV still is shown at its best (camera need tilting up a little ?)

It's a dashcam. It's good enough. Only thing that needs fixing is the overheating issues and the dated 720p rear cam.

Once again, I hate to disagree with you (and I'm not a Blackvue lover) but I prefer the brighter Blackvue images.

Your dash reflections are horrendous by the way - putting a polarising filter on would help but you would lose around a F Stop on the lense. Maybe worth thinking about in summer - thats what I will be doing

Your dash reflections are horrendous by the way

I think it only looks bad as I have a plush toy sat on there at the moment. I increased the brightness on the BV to stop 3 (was on stop 1) So I think that has helped.

I quite like that BlackVue video - increase in brightness has helped

Again, like Andy, I'm happy to admit to the BVs failings but, on this showing, the BV wins hands down: brighter and smoother frame rate

Last edited:
Back