BlackVue - External or Internal LTE?

Update - I just got the LTE and I'm thinking its a little big. Having said that I'm not too sure if its any bigger than the 900x. I have to admit, with all this talk about the 900x on this thread its got me thinking....

Can you give us a pic of the LTE module next to the cam?

No sorry I meant that I just got the 750 LTE, I don't have the LTE Module. Ok so things that are going through my head hopefully you guys can sway me one way or the other:

750 LTE:

Big in size - but can probably get used to it
In comparison to the 900x with LTE module, less messing about with additional cables and possibly connectivity issues i.e one more item to troubleshoot if connectivity is an issue
1080p - 4K would be nice to future proof
Total cost is cheaper than 900x as I wouldn't have to buy the additional LTE module
better in low light than 900x

900x:

More cables to mess with (additional LTE Module)
If connectivity goes wrong, one more thing to troubleshoot (LTE Module)
More expensive total cost
4k, nice but since I am buying this as a connected cam, do I really need 4k i.e. lower res is better for file size
Not as good in night mode
900x is more future proof

arggggg.....decisions decisions

Thoughts?

No sorry I meant that I just got the 750 LTE, I don't have the LTE Module. Ok so things that are going through my head hopefully you guys can sway me one way or the other:

750 LTE:

Big in size - but can probably get used to it
In comparison to the 900x with LTE module, less messing about with additional cables and possibly connectivity issues i.e one more item to troubleshoot if connectivity is an issue
1080p - 4K would be nice to future proof
Total cost is cheaper than 900x as I wouldn't have to buy the additional LTE module
better in low light than 900x

900x:

More cables to mess with (additional LTE Module)
If connectivity goes wrong, one more thing to troubleshoot (LTE Module)
More expensive total cost
4k, nice but since I am buying this as a connected cam, do I really need 4k i.e. lower res is better for file size
Not as good in night mode
900x is more future proof

arggggg.....decisions decisions

Thoughts?

I know the 750X with built-in LTE is bigger than the 900X, don't know how much exactly. Here's a YouTube review where a guy has them mounted next to each other for testing:

One of the reasons I went with the 900X was that if I ever want/need to upgrade my hotspot to 5G or beyond, I can do that without ever having to fiddle with/replace my cam setup.

That, and a bit smaller footprint, better heat tolerance than previous models, built-in battery protection, 5Ghz wi-fi in addition to 2.4, and other devices can use the car hotspot, were most of my deciding factors.

got it thanks. What memory card are you running in your 900x?

Last edited:
Thanks, I gave blackbox my car a quick call and had a chat, I think I talked myself into the 900x but they agreed for future proofing the 900x is the way to go

Here are the DR900X-2CH front camera, DR750-2CH LTE front camera and the CM100LTE [NA] connectivity module.
2021-04-27_12-41-38.jpg

Here are the DR900X-2CH front camera, DR750-2CH LTE front camera and the CM100LTE [NA] connectivity module.

Dang, that LTE module is gigantic. No way I'd be sticking that to my windshield.

Thanks rcg530, yes it’s a bit of a beast. I’m sending the 750lte back tomorrow and getting the 900x, will keep you guys updated. I figured if I’m spending that much I might as well go for the best, plus I got a few comments that 1080p is entry level which bugged me.

now I just need to figure out where to mount the LTE module. I’ll try the headliner I think

I had same dilemma 750x LTE vs 750x plus and the LTE module. I mainly want a cam to cover my cabin and close proximity around the car, low light quality and long recording time in parking mode. So for my use I don't think 4K would be beneficial.
I have a stealth hifi installation in my car and prefer to keep stock look of the car.
In my book the integrated LTE have 2 advantages:
1)
No space occupied by a dedicated LTE module.
With dsp, 12-5V converter, rgb controller, usb hub and 3 amps finding place to hide the LTE module is challenging.
2) Integrated LTE would make it relatively easy to track the dashcam using the IMEI number.
So in theory the integrated LTE should make the dashcam less attractive to scumbag thieves. But I'm afraid most scumbags wouldn't realize this before breaking my window.

But I ordered the 750x plus yesterday, because I wanted the upgraded Sony sensor and the smaller form factor makes it a little more discreet. I also believe the separate LTE module would make future upgrades cheaper.

The 750x LTE is on sale in my local it shop while the 750x plus is not available in my region yet. So import tax and vat makes it quite expensive.

Anyone know if the separate LTE use more power compared to the integrated LTE? I know the early 4g modems used considerably more power compared to recent LTE modems integrated into smartphone socs. So I would not be surprised if the new integrated LTE is more efficient...

Last edited:
Interesting that youve gone with the 750x since it uses an external module. Im just waiting for Amazon to return my 750 LTE then ill get the 900X.

Interesting that youve gone with the 750x since it uses an external module. Im just waiting for Amazon to return my 750 LTE then ill get the 900X.
I ordered the 1 channel 750x PLUS.
I want cabin and close proximity coverage day and night, so I will purchase the new IR cam when it gets available in EU.

Just a bit more info with regard to how the DR750-2CH LTE [NA]'s 4G LTE modem works vs the CM100LTE [NA]'s 4G LTE modem. I had the DR750-2CH LTE installed in my car for several months and had numerous connectivity issues during my weekly shopping trip which cover's a 35 mile stretch of roads (highways, city roads and rural roads). The DR750-2CH LTE would connect/disconnect with the BlackVue Cloud service several times (5 to 10 times) during this particular route. The DR750-2CH LTE [NA] was replaced with a different unit and the same behavior occurred.

Two days ago, I installed the DR900X-2CH cameras along with the CM100LTE [NA]. All of my bench testing suggested this would work much better than the DR750-2CH LTE [NA] based on my company's office location.

I just completed that same weekly trip over the exact same route with the DR900X-2CH and CM100LTE [NA] installed in the same car and it worked perfectly. No strange disconnects and all of the notifications were pushed to my phone as expected.

I must say that Pittasoft/BlackVue support states that my situation is an extremely rare situation. I don't know how I'm so special for that to be the case, but apparently I'm unique with this behavior using the DR750-2CH LTE [NA].

Hey All - update for you

So the 900x and LTE module arrived from Amazon and I installed it over the weekend and all seems to be working perfectly. Cloud connectivity is pretty cool but since I haven't gotten the battery yet I haven't been able to mess around with the settings much. Direct Wifi works fine but for some reason it disconnects within a few seconds. This is probably because my phone is set to auto-join my car's car play - - ill change that. I still need to download a couple of videos but right now all seems to be working perfectly

ill keep you updated once I get the battery

WiFi disconnecting might be caused by your phone dropping wifi connections without internet access. I think android have a setting for this.

Hey all quick update. Blackvue battery is now installed and works great. I’ve been messing with the settings of the camera via the app and I have a couple of questions.

- I have large amount of GBs on my SIM card I assume it’s it possible to upload all to the cloud and access all videos through the cloud? I don’t make many journeys.

- WiFi connectivity is more stable when my car’s CarPlay is not active - suppose that makes sense

- where can I configure the 900x to use my home WiFi when in range?

- where can I configure the 900x to be used as a internet hotspot if needed

thanks

Hey all quick update. Blackvue battery is now installed and works great. I’ve been messing with the settings of the camera via the app and I have a couple of questions.

- I have large amount of GBs on my SIM card I assume it’s it possible to upload all to the cloud and access all videos through the cloud? I don’t make many journeys.

- WiFi connectivity is more stable when my car’s CarPlay is not active - suppose that makes sense

- where can I configure the 900x to use my home WiFi when in range?

- where can I configure the 900x to be used as a internet hotspot if needed

thanks
The free cloud is limited to 5gb storage and 10 minutes of live view per day.
I don't think the 900x can function as a hotspot.

Got it thanks. But it should be able to connect to my home WiFi when in range right?

Back