Blade Runner San Francisco

abarth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGZC12RC░░ mini0805░░ viofoA119░░B1W
Some of you may know that the west is on fire in the US. It's terrible and heartbreaking and strange.

Here's some of the weird byproducts of the fires:

And here is some from the dash cam. The Viofo heavily corrected the white balance so I did what I could in post with my limited ability. The color was really much more accurate in the blade runner video above.

Yeah it is pretty freaky.
BUT ! nos as freaky as the presidents response to the fires when he met with CALI governor. :cautious:

If you guys elect that guy again, i will have to,,,,, i dont know, have serious doubts.

Yeah it is pretty freaky.
BUT ! nos as freaky as the presidents response to the fires when he met with CALI governor. :cautious:

If you guys elect that guy again, i will have to,,,,, i dont know, have serious doubts.
He does seem to have a little difficulty with science, and with reality! But it is too late to prevent climate change in California now, it is certain to get far worse before there is any chance of turning the trend around, and it won't be a sharp peak like the the covid, it will take lifetimes to get a usefull downward trend...

Yes on the climate, what ever we do now is just damage control.
The ice melting on Greenland, it is not matching estimates as such, it is matching the worst case estimates.
I would not invest in anything in lowland areas, at least not unless you are in it for a short term investment.

Some of you may know that the west is on fire in the US. It's terrible and heartbreaking and strange.

Here's some of the weird byproducts of the fires:

And here is some from the dash cam. The Viofo heavily corrected the white balance so I did what I could in post with my limited ability. The color was really much more accurate in the blade runner video above.

I saw that astonishing footage of San Francisco with the Blader Runner 2049 soundtrack on Twitter yesterday. For anyone who has seen the film it has a kind of cognitively dissonant eeriness to it. What is happening on the west coast is staggering. Here in Vermont, some 3000 miles away to the east, as of today, we are beginning to see some of the smoke in our skies!.

It occurs to me that anyone who hasn't seen Blade Runner 2049 may not fully appreciate the references to the imagery from the film. So, here are some screen shots from the movie.

Blade-Runner-2049.jpg

brunner2049.jpg

blade_runner_3.jpg

I have not seen the "new" Blade runner movie, the old one well with me too it is a classic and for sure something that would be found in my home cinema if i ever got rich enough to have such a thing ( dont even own a TV at the moment )

Trump's America:

What changes will Biden make?

Well good luck Joe. (y)

But i dont think you need to lead us Danes, if you are smart you will support us so we again can blaze that trail to prove there is viable alternatives.
People just need to see there are alternatives, and they will not cost too drastic changes.
Besides we are about the smallest and most willing test LAB you will ever find, and a LAB that is comparable to America and the results comming out of that LAB you will be able to sell to the American people.
You cant beat us, but you can join us.

You cant beat us, but you can join us.
Many countries have already committed to more than what Joe is committing to, and USA has lost any claim to be a world leader. Joe said in that video "The United States only accounts for 15% of Global carbon emissions", but that is a huge amount for 4% of the global population, he should not have used the word "only"! And the USA is way behind in the technology, they are having to buy in Danish wind turbines, and they have zero chance of developing their own if Joe's zero carbon electricity commitment is going to be kept, so they will not as he says say "Made in the USA", unless the Danish firms decide to build them there. USA has run out of time.

But he is looking in the right direction, and always has, and he can make a big difference, so as you say, "Good luck Joe."
And for those voting in the USA elections, remember that if Trump wins, USA exports will be hit very hard by carbon border tariffs imposed by others:

I dont think it make sense to make a wind turbine here, and then ship it across the Atlantic, better to build on site and then take our little cut home / or to some tax haven like it is the norm when you rake in the big numbers.
The number of people here working the industry have dropped in the past years, and in all aspects of production, from the turbines them self to the blade makers.

in 2018 there was 32.774 full time jobs in the wind industry, thats 2.1% less then the year before, in 2007/8 there was just shy of 35.000 full time jobs here in that industry.
In 2013 there was just 27.259 jobs in the industry.

One major cost running wind turbines are wear and tear on the leading edge of the blades, needless to say people here are also working / inventing on that

It's not exactly like there are no large wind turbine manufacturers in the United States.
Global business is a bit complex!

The first company on that list is GE, which is a USA listed company, and builds the world's most powerful wind turbine (maybe a bit out of date now), however that wind turbine, which the USA has ordered a large number of, is built in Saint-Nazaire, France, by a French company that was bought out by GE when the finances required for mass production of the world's biggest wind turbine got too much for anything but a global energy company. So it is built by a USA manufacturer, but is not made in USA. And the other way around, some of the USA's purchase deals with Danish companies have required manufacture in USA, so they may well say made in USA, although not made by USA companies.

The USA did fall well behind when Denmark and UK moved offshore allowing power output of turbines to quadruple compared to anything feasible for onshore use, catching up is not so easy, except by purchasing companies.

Zolt Rumy, the founder of Zoltek Industries is a Hungarian immigrant to the USA. With the success of Panex, the lowest cost carbon fiber of its type in the industry, manufacturing was expanded to Hungary which is now the source for much of European turbine blade manufacture. I assume that includes Denmark. Also, as far as I know, some companies specialize in making custom carbon fiber wind turbine blades that are supplied to various windmill manufacturers.

Not long ago, I was driving down a major interstate highway near where I live when I encountered a huge tractor trailer carrying enormous wind turbine blades heading north to a site where they are building a ridge top wind farm.

Global business is a bit complex!

The first company on that list is GE, which is a USA listed company, and builds the world's most powerful wind turbine (maybe a bit out of date now), however that wind turbine, which the USA has ordered a large number of, is built in Saint-Nazaire, France, by a French company that was bought out by GE when the finances required for mass production of the world's biggest wind turbine got too much for anything but a global energy company. So it is built by a USA manufacturer, but is not made in USA. And the other way around, some of the USA's purchase deals with Danish companies have required manufacture in USA, so they may well say made in USA, although not made by USA companies.

The USA did fall well behind when Denmark and UK moved offshore allowing power output of turbines to quadruple compared to anything feasible for onshore use, catching up is not so easy, except by purchasing companies.

So what? Much of major world industry is multi-national and cross border. Materials, components and final manufacturing is prioritized and sourced in numerous locations around the globe. That's how things work nowadays. AstraZeneca, for example is a British/Swedish multinational. The vaccine they are working on will ultimately be manufactured in other locations.

Not long ago, I was driving down a major interstate highway near where I live when I encountered a huge tractor trailer carrying enormous wind turbine blades heading north to a site where they are building a ridge top wind farm.
Wrong scale for the modern world!

maxresdefault.jpg

And installation:
KL_Offshore_060_Pacific_Osprey_wind_farm_installation_tcm71-128382.jpg

well if the lotto gods took a little pretty on me, i would build myself a little house ( as its just me to live there and clean it ) and i would like for that house to be build above current levels for green / sustainable buildings.
And i would get myself a little solar and wind too, mind you only if i can get it without being forcefully subsidized, cuz i dont want to do anything on other peoples dime, my father was the commie not me.
And i would also buy myself a little electric car,,,,,,,,,, but probably also a big scary gasoline / diesel monster or two, but its probably the little E car i would drive the most.

And most important too, most of my land will be left to grow as it please, there will be no green lawns with robots running around cutting it, and i sure as hell are not going to do it.
And i am not going to have any exotic plants from far away countries, only things that have always been here.

Wrong scale for the modern world!

What nonsense!

Scale is determined by location and local requirements. Ocean wind power is one thing, but mountain top wind farms in a landlocked state like Vermont in New England are a different breed of cat.

Crystal-Lake.jpg

Laurel_Mountain_1.jpg

I sandblasted and metallized 1.5 MW wind turbine axles in 1998 or so, that was OMG big stuff back then.

But it is probably still a good size for wind turbines on dry land, and we Danes dont want any more wind turbines on land, and the poo hit the fan when someone want to replace 3-4-5 old turbines on some field with 2 larger ones.
And i do get that too, my nieces new house have 3 close by with the nearest one at 380 Meters, and on a windy day you hear them easy.
I can only imagine how much 2 turbines 2 X larger would sound.
marken.jpg

But for my dream house i just want a little KW wind turbine, 100 KW should be plenty for my needs i would think
Still, even these little hobby sized ones, you got to have a permission to put up.
A small house turbine as we call them, cost from 5000 USD and all the way up to 127.000 USD, larger than that and they leave the "hobby" segment

Danish rules for this. ( well the basic rules anyway )

The turbine must be placed in relation with the house.
It can only be 25 M from the house ( could be any other building on the property maybe )
The total blade area can not be above 200 M sq.
It must be at least 300 M from any larger forest or church.
It have to be at least 200 M from the neighbor.
It have to be at least 150 M from a lake or river.
It have to be at least 100 M from protected sites or beach.
39 db max noise near residential areas.
44db max over open uninhabited land..

IMPlille%20vindm%C3%B8lle.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul Iddon Off Topic 16
Street Guardian USA Off Topic 7
Back