Blurry Video, Mobius 2 D lens

Well, mostly learned that I don't know a damn thing.
Well this is exactly where every one of us starts, so it doesn't matter. It's where you're going and how good the journey is that counts :cool:

The M1 is aged which doesn't mean it is bad, but it's always been an enthusiasts cam. It is still unique in a few ways but time has allowed many other cams to equal or surpass most of it's qualities. For a few select purposes it's still the best made today. And with the similarities I would be floored if it wasn't what inspired the F1, which took that svelte form-factor to a higher level. I want a couple more M1's simply because everything goes out of production eventually, but if I were seeking a new dashcam for any but the very hottest climates it's not even on my radar anymore, even as much as I admire it.

Not all cams can be or ever get a lot more fully developed, but the F1 has that capability and it's been done well. Plus there may be even more to come with it. I'd buy one if I could but there are just too many other things needing my limited funding more than it does. If I hit the lottery an F1 will be here post-haste along with a half dozen other cams as I think that highly of it. It's a very good cam on the factory firmware and exceptional with Falsificator's FW mods. You're gonna love it- I'm sure of that :love:

Phil

I wish I have got another Mobius 2 but I didn't know it was going out of production.

I wish I have got another Mobius 2 but I didn't know it was going out of production.

You might try posting HERE It's not a highly active forum but at least with the sellers being a member here you'll probably be safe with the purchase.

Phil

You're the only person I know who has a Mobius 2 and wants another one. Is there something you really like about it? Most people have been happy to move on to the Maxi, go back to the M1, or look elsewhere. Not saying you shouldn't like it, but just curious. You've even gone through the trouble of replacing and focusing the lens without live view.

I only had two for a while because Mobius sent me another one to test new firmware. Then one stopped working so it went to the bin. I'm not sure where the other one is right now. I thought it was in my wife's car until last week I realised I had swapped it out and given her one of my Mobius 1's instead.

Well, I think, and I could be wrong. And maybe people have already moved away from these lenses/cameras. But this lens distortion stuff is unacceptable. Okay, maybe, when this whole thing started, but nothing cheapens a non FX shot more than fisheye. At any degree.

But, if it's just a dash cam?

I guess that's the interesting part. How much we expect from a palm size camera. Or, how much they currently can deliver.

Last edited:
The M1 is aged which doesn't mean it is bad...

Speaking of... old emails revealed the research done on my M1 purchase was in these forums. And from that, I gleaned the M1 was the better choice over the M2. The D lense was to avoid distortion (unsuccessfully).

My point is.. Apologies to Buy Mobius for implying in a previous post they might have been deceiving.

They did not.

In fact, Buy Mobius bent over backwards to help, and to this date, have promptly return all my emails, with helpful tips.

Last edited:
Distortion is acceptable to a degree in a dashcam. We're recording evidence, and provided that the video doesn't distort that evidence to the point of being misleading, then a little bit is ok. Dashcams often have very wide aperture lenses that work well in low light and permit fast exposure times, but can suffer with distortion.

Action cameras fall into a different category, since they are used to record events to be shared with others, whether they are strapped to a drone, on a selfie stick or used as a headcam. They tend to have higher resolution lenses (to match high resolution sensors) with better control of distortion, but narrower apertures which mean they're not so good in low light.

... along with a half dozen other cams

Good summations.

It was a true gift learning about the F1 in this forum.
After looking at Tony's research footage/photos = Sold!

Yummy, yummy... what other cameras do you like?

... which mean they're not so good in low light.

Thanks. You made a point that I overlooked. Action Cam is not a Dash Cam. Duh. Even Dashcamtalk separates the threads.

The "boxes w/ viewfinders" are easy to discern. But it's easier to conflate the two when they are palm sized.

Meaning, when shopping, camera specs take on a whole new importance.

From your research, F1 low light shooting is much improved with the F1 Mod. Much improved.

You're confusing MB/s and Mbps - there's 8 bits per byte. So UHS-I with min 10MB/s write speed is 80Mbps. U3 at min 30MB/s can handle the 100Mbps F1 video files.

Needed this. Thank you.

You're the only person I know who has a Mobius 2 and wants another one. Is there something you really like about it?
I know I won't fine another Mobius 2 and I don't have the money to buy the Mobius Maxi. If I was rich I would buy one but I am POOR.
You've even gone through the trouble of replacing and focusing the lens without live view.
Why I did that is I don't like FISHEYE look and I will do the live view when I get the cables I order them almost a month ago.

I do like the Mobius 2 I don't see anything wrong with it and I am not picky like most people are.

I know I won't fine another Mobius 2 and I don't have the money to buy the Mobius Maxi. If I was rich I would buy one but I am POOR.

I do like the Mobius 2 I don't see anything wrong with it and I am not picky like most people are.
At the time the Maxi was released, the M2 price was higher than the Maxi - at least it was on eletoponline365.

I have thought about sending you my M2, but there is a very slight possibility that Mobius will ask me to test some future firmware updates so I think I ought to keep it for now.

Mobius 2 are still available in Australia, would be cost prohibitive though to think about sending one from here

I have thought about sending you my M2, but there is a very slight possibility that Mobius will ask me to test some future firmware updates so I think I ought to keep it for now.

Mobius 2 are still available in Australia, would be cost prohibitive though to think about sending one from here
Thanks both of you. @TonyM just keep in your mind about the Mobius 2.

Why when I start a thread I get very few replies but here I get them?

Last edited:

I don't know about that. Maybe it's because "we" are all here. Much easier than clicking around. But, this post from you I did not understand. So, I'm curious what you were saying.

When the 808 and the Mobius camera were made to be used on RC Aircraft and any that you want to video. That my 0.02 cents so don't get mad.

Why I start a thread is to stay on topic unlike this thread it been offtopic a lot of times.

... what other cameras do you like?

The F-1 is here of course, it's Mobius-like form factor and size makes it ideal for many situations. Right now I think the best images come from the A129 with modified firmware. The "Duo" version does restrict the front cam to 30FPS but I'm OK with that. Close behind that is the A119 or A119S based on whether you need more night or day recording. My only beef with these are the wedge form-factor which is good for many but not for me. I'd still have any one of just because the images are so good. And though the images aren't great and the color is bad, I like my N2 Pro "Taxi" cam for nice form-factor and reliability, but mostly because the interior IR cam is great; night becomes nearly day with it. The B1W is a good cam for economy and one of the best choices for any other than front use because of it's slim form-factor. Decent in low light too. The 70Mai would take it's place if it had caps and decent factory support- another case of wasted potential. The Garmin 55 is great with everything except no super-caps; that should have been handled long ago. Any SG cam is good, my only beef is their slow but very certain development. Mobius Maxi has potential but again slow development. I also liked the WR-1 since I don't use audio but few others did and the design has been sold. Nice form-factor with decent vids day and night. The Git3 has pre-buffered parking and is OK too. The M1 is here too for use with telephoto lensing mostly becase that is the platform most of that experimentation has been carried out on, though the F1 and others are in that mix. And for super-hot climates nothing has ever beaten the M1 with caps for reliability and longevity. I'll mention the unreleased K2S dual-remote here which I'm beta-testing. If it gets the development it deserves it will be a world-beater and a crazy success- time will tell.

Do keep in mind that these are just my personal likes and that what I want and need isn't necessarily the norm. I'm not anal about images and plate capture to the extent many folks are. Yes I like that stuff, but as long as my cams get enough details day and night and are reliable (which I am anal about) then I'm happy. I'm also poor so money is a factor in my likes, as is the hot-summer-climate I live in. Plenty of other good cams out there and plenty of crap too. Among what there is today will be one which is nearly ideal for everyone; a much different situation that when I entered into this game about half a decade ago. And as always, YMMV!

Phil

Tony, this thread or F1.
Just lining up ducks.

It's about the F1, interior shots & the F1 FW Mod Upgrade.

Think dark bars in Okinawa.

Falsificator himself said action cams are designed to be used outdoors. And the M1 produced pretty decent video in dark stark lighting. But I want more.

So I was anticipating the F1 + Mod would bring out more details in the darker bar settings. But, after reading the posts, I'm wondering if the F1 upgrade performes better in "outside" dark better than inside, and if the OEM FW would not be better for my Okinawa bar scenes.

Yes. I will test both. But, you have so much experience, I wanted to get your take on the matter.
Thanks.
Your new camera is arriving today. Undoubtedly you will have a number of questions. I suggest you start a new thread in the F1 sub-forum so that you can receive advice from others who may use the F1 in a way similar to you, who are probably not reading this thread in the M2 forum.

Personally, I use my F1 exclusively outdoors - either as a dashcam or strapped to my drone for occasional aerial video recording. If I record anything on my travels, I take still photos with my dslr.

Why I start a thread is to stay on topic unlike this thread it been offtopic a lot of times.
It's zznoname's thread and it has indeed gone off-topic in various ways, but he seems happy with that.

Thanks both of you. @TonyM just keep in your mind about the Mobius 2.

I can only think of fewer than 10 DCT members who have possessed a Mobius 2, even less who still use one. Unfortunately it's a rather un-loved camera. You're probably getting responses here because it's currently an active discussion thread.

I have an A129 thread with 355 views and no replies. I have other threads with over 1000 views and barely a single reply. Occasionally I've spent perhaps 20-30 hours putting together a camera or lens review and had almost no responses. Sometimes I really feel like packing up and walking away from DCT. But once in a while I get the feeling that I might have helped someone, so I stick around a while longer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mobius 2 / M2 11
Back