Brexit

I suppose it all remains to be seen how all this will play out in the long run, good or bad, for all involved, one way or the other, but just remember; You Brexit, You Buy It! ;)
You can be quite sure that if we break the EU, we will not be buying it!

Especially when we see things like this in our newspapers:
EUROPEAN Union transport chiefs want Brexit negotiators to demand the recall of ALL British vehicle number plates bearing the bloc’s iconic blue and gold flag.

The European Highways Commission (EHC) is insisting the UK’s 27 million cars, vans, trucks, busses and lorries are re-fitted with plates displaying the national flags of either England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland at a staggering cost of nearly £1 BILLION.

The unelected commissioners, who are responsible for the maintenance and safety of European roads, passed a resolution formally calling for the change yesterday.

Clive Walters, from the Foundation of British Motorists, told Express.co.uk: "Nobody asked to have European flags put on their number plates. And nobody was making a great fuss about them being there after Brexit, until now.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786435/BREXIT-BOMBSHELL-EU-demands-UK-number-plate-RECALLED-2019

If it wasn't about the EU regulators then we would read that as a joke instead of reality :eek:

Yeah it is the day of the year the news providers really shine, and also the same day the boundless naivety of the readers is revealed.

No wonder so many countries have a government seated that really should not be there, if they ( politicians ) really did have the best in mind for the country then all of our countries would be so much better than they are today.

You can be quite sure that if we break the EU, we will not be buying it!

Especially when we see things like this in our newspapers:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786435/BREXIT-BOMBSHELL-EU-demands-UK-number-plate-RECALLED-2019

If it wasn't about the EU regulators then we would read that as a joke instead of reality :eek:

Forgive me @ Nigel, but I completely forgot about your chronic humor impairment when I tried to make an amusing play on words with my "You Brexit, You Buy It" remark, although I did go out of my way to present it in as absolutely neutral and non-partisan a fashion as possible.

Quips aside, it is apparent here that you fail to comprehend that the one way or another, regardless of the long term outcome, positive or negative, the UK as already broken it and is currently in the early stages of paying for it. Hence my little word parody.

Of course, speaking of breaking things I suppose it remains to be seen what Scotland and Ireland will opt for in the long term as their populations have exhibited a generally more positive perspective on EU membership.

...No wonder so many countries have a government seated that really should not be there,...
Given their proven performance over time it would seem appropriate that all governments (local, national, or anywhere in between) should be sworn into office on April 1. :(

Quips aside, it is apparent here that you fail to comprehend that the one way or another, regardless of the long term outcome, positive or negative, the UK as already broken it and is currently in the early stages of paying for it. Hence my little word parody.
Not convinced that the UK broke it, PM Cameron tried to fix it but most EU countries wanted to keep it broke so he came back home unsuccessful and lost the referendum as a result.

And one of the reasons for leaving is so that we don't have to continue paying large sums of money to support it as we have been for years, they are going to have to have some serious budget cuts once we have left! Although people from other countries seem to be talking about Germany coming up with all the missing cash.

Of course, speaking of breaking things I suppose it remains to be seen what Scotland and Ireland will opt for in the long term as their populations have exhibited a generally more positive perspective on EU membership.
Gibraltar was even more positive on continued EU membership, but they don't seem very happy with the EU today ;)

"Trump 'will back UK on Gibraltar' as Spanish defence chief holds ISIS Pentagon talks...
What the EU is trying to enforce in relation to Gibraltar is against international law and it won't even get over the starting blocks"."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/786675/Donald-Trump-NATO-Gibraltar-Spain-EU-talks-ISIS-threat

""I think what's upsetting is not that Spain should have sought to include us there, because Spain is obsessed with Gibraltar, she'll do anything possible to try and advance her rancid and medieval claim to Gibraltar. "
http://chronicle.gi/2017/04/spain-accused-of-shameful-attempt-to-manipulate-eus-brexit-position/

Last edited:
Not convinced that the UK broke it, PM Cameron tried to fix it but most EU countries wanted to keep it broke so he came back home unsuccessful and lost the referendum as a result.

And one of the reasons for leaving is so that we don't have to continue paying large sums of money to support it as we have been for years, they are going to have to have some serious budget cuts once we have left! Although people from other countries seem to be talking about Germany coming up with all the missing cash.

Gibraltar was even more positive on continued EU membership, but they don't seem very happy with the EU today ;)

"Trump 'will back UK on Gibraltar' as Spanish defence chief holds ISIS Pentagon talks...
What the EU is trying to enforce in relation to Gibraltar is against international law and it won't even get over the starting blocks"."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/786675/Donald-Trump-NATO-Gibraltar-Spain-EU-talks-ISIS-threat

""I think what's upsetting is not that Spain should have sought to include us there, because Spain is obsessed with Gibraltar, she'll do anything possible to try and advance her rancid and medieval claim to Gibraltar. "
http://chronicle.gi/2017/04/spain-accused-of-shameful-attempt-to-manipulate-eus-brexit-position/
Hmkay , going to say, that you don't appear to have a clue on real facts, but emotional excuses and "opinions" of newspaper articles etc....

C8FUT_wW4AQ5VNY.jpg

To repeat what I originally said, "I suppose it all remains to be seen how all this will play out in the long run, good or bad, for all involved, one way or the other". As I have no skin in the game I have no wish to get drawn into your strident polemics and bloviation. Ultimately, history will be the final arbiter and we can all sit back and watch as the UK basks in glory or ends up trying to pick itself up from the ashes having transformed itself into the "Untied Kingdom". Time will tell.

In the meantime, thanks for providing further amusing evidence of a severe clinical humor impairment. ;)

Centralized control of your economy by non-elected aparachiks is never good for the average wage earner! The left here thought that they had made enough free loaders and grabbed for the whole enchilada! People around you would never think of picking your pocket, but they will
elect parasites who will! We fooled them with President Trump!
The free loaders of the EU are the real reason the consortium will fail.
Hard working UK wage earners and Germans are also tired of carrying too much load! Importing millions who will never assimilate and become productive is certainly a bitter pill.

I wish the best for all on either side of the Channel :) My genetics trace back to all of you there, and I'm a loyal sort :D

Personally I think the Brexit was a mistake mostly due to it's timing. Given more preparation it would have gone better, but that is usually the case with anything. IMHO there was too much emotion and not enough deep thinking on both sides before the decision was made, which is going to leave bigger and harder to solve problems on both sides than would have been otherwise. Thia is not going to well and truly be over with for a decade at least.

Where I must side with GB is in wanting more and freer control over one's own homeland; indeed the EU hasn't watched the effects of ever-growing bureaucracy on my side of the Atlantic but has instead followed our wrongful path :eek: And now it is losing one of it's once-strongest allies because of that over-deep unnecessary intrusion into people's everyday lives :(

There will be costs and benefits on both sides, but the end outcome for anyone will lie in how much they have learned from this and how well they address similar issues in the future.

Phil

Centralized control of your economy by non-elected aparachiks is never good for the average wage earner! The left here thought that they had made enough free loaders and grabbed for the whole enchilada! People around you would never think of picking your pocket, but they will
Hard working UK wage earners and Germans are also tired of carrying too much load! Importing millions who will never assimilate and become productive is certainly a bitter pill.
although if you paid attention it is Rome summit and British demands, that was the shape of EU- freedom of movement...

It's not really centralized control though since everything has to be agreed by all countries and so to get anything done they need to give in to demands from all countries, thus Spain being allowed to exclude Gibraltar from any post Brexit trade deal while the rest of the Brexiting countries will presumably be included in a trade deal (Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey), if a deal is ever made. (Even though none of them are actually in the UK while Gibraltar is according to the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht which was signed by several current EU countries including Spain.)

Scott's will be bigger ("better of") small nation nation withing BIG EU, than "nothing in small UK"
as it comes to Welsh and NI... nobody cares about their rights of self determination, right?
as it it comes to overseas islands "territories"- don't matter! oh Malvinas (Falklands)? what about those?

Personally I think the Brexit was a mistake mostly due to it's timing. Given more preparation it would have gone better, but that is usually the case with anything.
I think in this case it actually came too late. Decades too late. Surrendering our sovereignty to the EU was just one of many ways our governments (all of them) dropped the ball and allowed serious problems to develop. But EU control probably contributed to those other problems. It was in the news recently that most of our railways are soon to be in foreign ownership. It is already the case that most big "UK" companies are foreign owned. (Admittedly, a lot of companies abroad are UK owned, but even so.) A lot of "our" power production is foreign owned and more is going to be (new nuclear projects etc.)

It's nice to be getting our sovereignty back, but what's the point when so much of our infrastructure is controlled by other countries? Doesn't exactly make us independent, does it? They've got us over a barrel.
We're closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. I think things are soon going to happen to my country that would have been inconceivable in my parents' lifetime. And I'm relieved they won't be around to see it. To the generation who lived through WWII and endured the poverty that followed but maintained their dignity, it would be heartbreaking. There are more important things than wealth. Having control of your own destiny is one of them.

Losing our Empire was one thing, it was inevitable and the right thing to happen. But losing your own country - practically giving it away - is shameful. Brexit is the least of my concerns to be honest.

http://www.propertyweek.com/insight/analysis-features/who-owns-london?/5088280.article

Last edited:
Scott's will be bigger ("better of") small nation nation withing BIG EU, than "nothing in small UK"
as it comes to Welsh and NI... nobody cares about their rights of self determination, right?
as it it comes to overseas islands "territories"- don't matter! oh Malvinas (Falklands)? what about those?
I assume that the Falklands and other similar countries like Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Montserrat etc will all be included in a trade deal if one occurs since they are all currently part of the current free trade agreement. (Thus they currently can't stop unlimited immigration from EU countries either!)

They are all under British overall control though, a different situation to eg the Isle of Man which is an independent nation but still Brexiting.

Last edited:
I assume that the Falklands and other similar countries like Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Montserrat etc will all be included in a trade deal if one occurs since they are all currently part of the current free trade agreement. (Thus they currently can't stop unlimited immigration from EU countries either!)
Not sure, as May talks about commonwealth market... and migration

I have an idea!
peeps as you should call for an Engl'exit!
?
And concur Kenya etc again, in order to create tax income from them colonies....

Not sure, as May talks about commonwealth market... and migration
Those are not Commonwealth countries, the Commonwealth countries are all independent and any trade deals between them are done bilaterally, thus avoiding all the problems created by the EU, it would be a mistake to change that, and probably impossible due to existing trade deals those countries have already done outside the Commonwealth.

I know this is a rather old thread but I thought some would find this interesting now the Brexit has been with us for some time. Apparently, the Bing GPT-4 chatbot came up with this interesting metaphor for Brexit. Say what you will about the current state of AI. ;)

Edit: Speaking of the current state of AI, word is that the Bing GPT-4 chatbot may have come up with this by reinterpreting and embellishing an older quote it found on the internet.

The original was more like "“Brexit could be like getting a tattoo when you’re young. When you get older, you might regret it.”"

brexit_AI.jpg

Last edited:
I wish you could change EU from the inside, back from its evil ways to a mere trade organization
I do absolutely not like what it is turning into, so if i got the choice to vote for anything EU, even if it might be a part of it i like, i would have to vote NO

BUT ! Then again we Danes have our home front problems in the idiots we vote for and what we let them do, some of what are EU related some are domestic
Well those i vote NO to too, in the fact there are not a single person or party i can vote for and look myself or other decent people in the eye.

So NO is a word very high on my stack of go to words.

Just like we have just formed a Nordic combined airforce with all the Scandinavian countries i think we should form our own organization for trade, and then leave EU

Back