Browsing files with Explorer, am I being stupid?

Mjukes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, Wifi gave up the ghost on my A129 Pro duo, so I have to remove the card and browse via PC.

However I can't find my incident files. For example Yesterday at 18.27 I pressed the button. Reviewing today, the file structure is DCIM/Parking/RO and DCIM/Driving/RO (from memory, sorry).

In the driving folder there is a file for 18.26 and 18.28 but not 18.27.

The RO folder is empty.

Is there something about the way Viofo protects the files that makes them hidden? Or is there a better way of browsing the card on a PC?

Thanks

Mike

That sound very strange, and not least you having a gap in recordings, so it dont seem you have pressed the wrong button.

I would for sure try this again, also i would try the same again but using a larger segment size than 1 minute

My events ( pressing button ) always show up in the RO folder ( on 4 other model viofo cameras ) so something are fishy here for sure.

I forgot i always browse files on my PC just like you do now.

Thank you. It seems the SD card I'm using has been added to Viofo's blacklist since purchase, so first port of call is to replace that. Bloody annoying as I have now lost that incident data.

What card are you currently using? Brand and model?

Sandisk High endurance 256gb. Was recommended by many in here but not on VIOFO website anymore.

Just ordered a sandisk Extreme 256gb

I am having the same issue. My files are getting deleted when the card gets full. I am using the recommended card too. I was using firmware 2.9 but just switched to 2.5 to see if there is an improvement. If not, Viofo has told me to open a ticket.

i have had good experiences with the High endurance card, it was one of my first 256GB cards, so by now it have been tested in a range of models from a few brands.
As i recall it have also worked just fine in other Viofo models. But of course that do not mean it work in all models.

It is nice viofo have a list of recommended memory cards, that is a must when there are less fortunate brands / models out there to get, it could severely destroy the user experience and so ruin it for the brand too.

Unless SanDisk has made some kind of change in the High Endurance card, it's fine in the A129 Pro. Viofo's recommended list really focuses on their newer models. I have used the SanDisk High Endurance in my A129 Pro for years with no issue (card is a few years old). I have no issue recommending that card for A129 Pro users. Works well in the A119V3 and A129 Plus models too.

I'm wondering if it could be how you are reading the files on your Micro SDXC card. I have a Micro SD card slot on my laptop and everything shows up fine when the card is inserted directly into the slot. When I insert the SDXC card into an adapter (SD card size) not all files show up. Or rather sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Same with a USB adapter which takes both sizes of SD card.

Well this is part of the issue. VIOFO will argue I need to use an approved card before they’ll investigate, I’m sure.

It’s not overwritten the file as the files post and prior remain.

Maybe it’s just a dud unit, what with the dead wifi and all.

I'm wondering if it could be how you are reading the files on your Micro SDXC card. I have a Micro SD card slot on my laptop and everything shows up fine when the card is inserted directly into the slot. When I insert the SDXC card into an adapter (SD card size) not all files show up. Or rather sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Same with a USB adapter which takes both sizes of SD card.
So im Inserting into the SD slot, using the adaptor provided. I’ve ordered a card reader for my Phone, as I wanted to remove the PC from the process. So will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

But I agree, it ‘feels’ like a read issue.

So im Inserting into the SD slot, using the adaptor provided. I’ve ordered a card reader for my Phone, as I wanted to remove the PC from the process. So will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

But I agree, it ‘feels’ like a read issue.

Get ready to be frustrated if you are using an iphone to read SD cards. It is worth having a go but there are many that can't get it to work (iPhones). I have good and bad experiences with this adapter. An original Apple product sometimes works usually after I do an iPhone ritual and praising the powers above! :)
My Clone version just doesn't work. This is on an iPhone 8 with 16.4.1 OS

Re the memory cards try formatting the card using the SD card organisations SD Formatter as it seem to wave a magical wand over some SD cards.

Link to sdcard.org SDFormatter download page

Opinion:

I am wondering if some dashcam companies are either pushing the limits of the cards write and read speeds or not monitoring or supplying the correct voltage which is crucial, timing (Clock frequency of card) being another factor to consider. Dashcams can get extremely hot inside their casing which could also be pushing the SD card to its limits.

These factors combined are definitely going to cause dashcam recording errors.

I think it is time for the dashcam companies to put this problem to bed eg fix it.
I would like to see dashcam companies claiming that they are compatible with all popular brand name manufactures.

So, Wifi gave up the ghost on my A129 Pro duo, so I have to remove the card and browse via PC.

However I can't find my incident files. For example Yesterday at 18.27 I pressed the button. Reviewing today, the file structure is DCIM/Parking/RO and DCIM/Driving/RO (from memory, sorry).

The RO folder is empty.

Is there something about the way Viofo protects the files that makes them hidden? Or is there a better way of browsing the card on a PC?

Thanks

Mike
Is it possible that the time stamp is because the recordings are halfway between those times?

Have you checked if there is a gap in the actual recordings?

Cheers.

As the RO folder is empty I’m pretty confident it’s missing.

If I connect the camera to the PC via a USB cable does it behave in a different way? (As a device instead of a drive?)

The RO folder is empty.

Thanks

Mike
So sorry for the issue. Were there beeps and a yellow exclamation mark shown after you pressed the emergency button? It is better to set loop recording at 3 minutes and then try to lock a video again during driving to confirm if it will disappear again or not.

So sorry for the issue. Were there beeps and a yellow exclamation mark shown after you pressed the emergency button? It is better to set loop recording at 3 minutes and then try to lock a video again during driving to confirm if it will disappear again or not.
As I recall it did. Would plugging into the camera with a cable make it read the card differently?

As the RO folder is empty I’m pretty confident it’s missing.

If I connect the camera to the PC via a USB cable does it behave in a different way? (As a device instead of a drive?)
So my RO folder had 6 files and then once the card got full, Viofo approved card, I checked again and there were only 2 files. I am currently messaging with Viofo about this issue. They are saying that once the RO folders get full, they overwrite. It seems as though the issue is the parking mode RO folder has ALL of the parking mode files so that gets full and then overwrites the regular RO folder too. They need to either have it ignore the regular RO folder so those files stay or, not lock all of the parking mode files.

Perhaps mine is a similar situation. I just tested and it browses the same when plugged in. My driving RO folder was otherwise empty, but testing now has added the files.

However my parking RO folder has less than 48 hours worth of files (over 1500 of them) So I'll assume it's doing the same as yours @Ty07allstar - I'll put the card back in and revisit on Monday to see if these driving RO files are gone.

Is turning Motion detection in parking mode off the only solution? It's crazy that it records and locks every tiny bit of motion without G-sensor input when parked.

Back