Buffered Parking mode

I'd almost offer to buy the dang thing from you myself just to get you to stop harping about it and ruining everyone else's experience here on DCT because of that, even though I don't need another cam.

I've got one for sale if you'd like to help me out.

Let me clearly state my history with this thread "Buffered Parking Mode" and how I've come to hold my present views. - - I purchased my A129 in June-2019. I purchased this specific model because I wanted buffered parking mode, motion detection and g-sensor detection. Everything I had read here and elsewhere said my new model A129 had it.

June 30 - I made my first post to this thread/forum; - Coincidentally, just 2 days previously, DarthMaul, who seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable user said, "...the G-Sensor is pretty useless! Even at the highest G-Sensor sensitivity, slamming the car's door will not trigger the event! - - - And months earlier (Feb - 2019?) TonyM, as a beta tester, told Viofo , "The g-sensor was not sensitive enough."

July 6 - I posted a week later and coincidentally, DarthMaul is the guy who answered my new question. Btw, my first post went unanswered; no big deal.

July 24 - I commented "positively" that "eventually, Viofo will get firmware version 1.9 to work properly."

July 24th - At a time when many users had been fumbling around for weeks on this thread trying to get their A129's to work properly, I asked about Viofo's absence here on the "Buffered Parking Mode" thread. - They disappeared for practically a month!

Jokiin told me/us that one needs to add the @ sign to the username to get the user's attention so that they could reply, ie, @viofo. CaptnEric & DashCamUser567 said they had both done so numerous times, but Viofo remained absent. - no replies/no help at all from Viofo!

DashCamUser567 went on to say on 7/25, "They stopped replying to this thread. They only reply to people who are about to buy their dashcams."

All of my posts for the first 25 days were as respectful as any other posts. When I learned that Viofo more or less abandoned the A129 users, I certainly felt "less satisfied" with them.

7/25 - I wrote Viofo, and Bill Zhou said the problem with the A129 would be fixed within a month. So, I waited and did not post to this thread (Buffered Parking) for several weeks (Aug 1 - Aug 21st).

8/21 - Three weeks later, - I followed-up with Bill Zhou/Viofo to ask about the updated firmware release since the month was coming to a close. He said he had "no idea" when the updated firmware would be released, but he was quick to tell me that Viofo's engineers were working hard on the A129 Pro and that their "new model" should be coming out in 1-2 months. That information about their "new upcoming product" was provided to me even though my question was about the A129 Duo that I purchased months earlier...?

Once I realized Viofo was not going to be fixing the A129 firmware any time soon, I became more cynical with them as a Company. - - All I wanted was for my A129 to work properly with the g-sensor in parking mode. But unfortunately, that had been pushed way out into the future sometime, if it even happens at all! - - Sdeel7491 was told on Viofo's website forum recently that the updated firmware "might come out in October". - - I'm now of the mind that even that will probably not happen.

- - - - - -

And so, the banter that has continued on this thread over the last couple of weeks involves those users who are not satisfied with Viofo's response-time to their problems with the A129 and those users who feel that everyone should just remain silent about this problem and give Viofo all the time that they need to eventually fix the problem. - - There's nothing wrong with someone holding either opinion, nor is there anything wrong with users of dashcamtalk debating their positions; that's what happens often on internet forums. - - For those who'd rather not partake in those debates/discussions about the A129 problems in parking mode, all one needs to do is change the channel...no bid deal!

Last edited:
I totally agree with you StrayCam I'm totally fed up of trying this setting and that setting and going round in circles and getting no where quickly ! The sad thing is now I'm not interested in looking at the results anymore sad but true.
I'm thinking of just righting it off as complete not fit for purpose dash camera with Bufferd Parking Mode!

Hey I havent been on this site in a while lol. I was busy with work and classes over the summer and now. Has there been any progress with solving the g sensor? I have driven over raised manhole covers and bumps in construction sites on my commute with no activations

Hey Dashcamuser567-

Welcome back! To answer your question, no, there has not been any g-sensor progress for the A129 since you were last here. - Viofo's priority has been on their new upcoming product - A129Pro; Although when you, CaptnEric and I were "briefily" in conversation with Viofo and I was told Viofo was going to upgrade the firmware to fix the g-sensor sensitivity within a month, that month came and went with no fix!

Now, another of our members here (Sdeel7491) was just told by Viofo over on the Viofo Website Forum that they "might have an updated firmware in October"... keep in mind that they said "might". So, everyone needs to just wait...

Dang, and september basically just started and we have to wait another month before they say they'll have it by December :rolleyes:

I have not seen so much temper tantrum in cry babies (that have too much time on their hands and nothing to do with it) for a long time. But I want to give them something to think about (not sure if all of them can).
When you mount any camera to the car it becomes part of the car. To trigger the g-sensor you need to move the body of the car briskly and with a certain acceleration.
Closing the door, tapping the windshield or rocking the back of the car up and down will not achieve that.
With this said I'm leaving this thread that provides no meaningful information.
Go get your candy and have a good day.

I would very much like the g sensor to trigger if someone opens their door into my car or otherwise damages it when parked. I'm not so bothered about buffered parking as I'm happy to leave it recording. I just don't want to have to search through a significant amount of footage, something which requires moving the microSD to a PC to do effectively. If the file was locked I would know which to look at. There are separate g sensor settings for parking and driving so I can easily have the parking one on high and not end up with excess false alarms. Unfortunately it seems even for my requirements the g sensor doesn't work, which is a shame. The camera wasn't a big purchase for me, so if something better comes along for a decent price I will move on. If Viofo don't address the issue it will be the first and last Viofo product I buy. I'm planning to buy another camera anyway and will move this into my wifes car. At this rate it won't be the A129 pro. I can live with it but companies who don't support current users will lose me as a future customer.

Do any dashcams detect when someone opens a car door into yours? Usually that's not a significant size of an impact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have not seen so much temper tantrum in cry babies (that have too much time on their hands and nothing to do with it) for a long time. But I want to give them something to think about (not sure if all of them can).
When you mount any camera to the car it becomes part of the car. To trigger the g-sensor you need to move the body of the car briskly and with a certain acceleration.
Closing the door, tapping the windshield or rocking the back of the car up and down will not achieve that.
With this said I'm leaving this thread that provides no meaningful information.
Go get your candy and have a good day.

Good lol, we dont need someone who ironically calls everyone a baby but makes a big deal they are leaving a thread when no one would notice anyway :unsure: . That being said I guess hitting speed bumps at a faster speed, driving into potholes, and even hitting raised manhole covers in a construction road at speed don't do anything. However, there are obvious limitations to what a gsensor can do which I agree with you that some people need to put in perspective like someone hitting their car door on yours which is a small hit. I have noticed small scratches of possible car doors on my car but since these scratches can be buffed out and are basically normal wear it doesn't bother me. Also even if you did get the guy hitting the door on the sensor, what are you going to do? Its not like your insurance would pay, they would tell you its just a small scratch thats barely noticeable. Or paint you can wipe off using your finger.

Good lol, we dont need someone who ironically calls everyone a baby but makes a big deal they are leaving a thread when no one would notice anyway :unsure: . That being said I guess hitting speed bumps at a faster speed, driving into potholes, and even hitting raised manhole covers in a construction road at speed don't do anything. However, there are obvious limitations to what a gsensor can do which I agree with you that some people need to put in perspective like someone hitting their car door on yours which is a small hit. I have noticed small scratches of possible car doors on my car but since these scratches can be buffed out and are basically normal wear it doesn't bother me. Also even if you did get the guy hitting the door on the sensor, what are you going to do? Its not like your insurance would pay, they would tell you its just a small scratch thats barely noticeable. Or paint you can wipe off using your finger.

Dashcamuser567-

Excellent points! And here I thought we were going to be having a "going-away party" for the tech know-it-all!!! ....lol

And of course the usual suspects come out and tell us why we A129 users are being unreasonable and why the g-sensor Viofo has provided us with is as good as it gets... That to me just did not pass the "sniff test". - - So I just did a very small amount of research, and to no surprise, I found a very helpful video from our very own BCHobbyist!

Here's his video wherein he explains, among other things, the g-sensor in a competitor's dash cam, the Arpenkin Mini Q9 - - All I was interested in was finding someone who has first-hand knowledge about how a g-sensor works in parking mode rather than rely on some self-proclaimed tech expert.

So, you can go to the following two time spots on this video and see BC Hobbyist's demonstration of using the g-sensor in parking mode-

1. Time 4:05 - A shopping cart lightly bumping into a car that causes the g-sensor to trigger

2. Time 4:55 - A passerby who slightly bumps a car which triggers the g-sensor

This is what I would expect any dash cam with a g-sensor in parking mode to do. - - But, my A129 WILL NOT do this. - - How about yours???

Is it unreasonable to expect Viofo to fix this sooner than later? Of course not. - - But at the rate we're going, it will be months before we "current customers" get some old-fashioned "customer support"!

Last edited:
Hi guys. My 2 questions:
1. I understand the problem with the GPS mount & wiring & park mode is fixed for the new units
2. ref. sensitivity of the G sensor - is this exclusively a software issue OR this may lead to a hard modification, like in case of the GPS mount ?

If I look (see below) at the settings recommended by Viofo for autodetection - they recommend G sensor High sensitivity at the moment.
Set sensitivity during parking:

• Parking G-sensor:
The G-sensor detects significant or sudden movement (such as an impact or collision), it will trigger an event recording. We suggest setting it to High sensitivity in parking mode recording.

• Parking Motion Detection: Adjusts the sensitivity of the motion detection so minor motion caused by wind or rain doesn't trigger a recording.

Last edited:
I'm with @SawMaster on this. Personally, I don't trust ANY manufacturer's implementation of the G-Sensor for parking mode. I just don't trust that it will capture a minor event 100% of the time. I'm a big fan of the implementation of a reduced FPS parking mode solution, one that reduces the FPS to 1-10 FPS that records continuously. This not only saves wear and tear on the SD card, but saves space on the card that ensures you can fit the entire time away on the card without overwriting anything. I don't need a full video of the event - just enough to capture the event and hopefully a license plate or face.

Totally understand the dissatisfaction expressed here, but G-Sensor parking recording has been problematic across the industry for some time. If this is the most important feature for you, then definitely do more research on the dashcams that have nailed this feature down. I don't trust a single one to be 100% everytime.

Totally understand the dissatisfaction expressed here, but G-Sensor parking recording has been problematic across the industry for some time. If this is the most important feature for you, then definitely do more research on the dashcams that have nailed this feature down. I don't trust a single one to be 100% everytime.

Thanks for your input Yooshaw! When I first purchased a dash cam, in my mind, it didn't have the latest technology. The model had been out for quite a while: no wifi, single channel and no parking mode. - - I wanted to get a dash cam with "current technology". So, I did a fair amount of research and found that Viofo "seemed to be" the best contender for those few extra features.

I never dreamed, based on what I had read on this forum, that Viofo would choose to flake-out on their A129 customers. Of course, I later found out that many posters to this thread just don't post any bad things about Viofo for whatever reason. - - Many users here are reluctant to bring-up any "bad issues" about Viofo, and some have even gone so far as to make-up excuses and speculate why Viofo just can't adjust the g-sensor in parking mode on the A129! One guy here recently said, "Well, just wait for some car to hit you while parked, and then the g-sensor will surely go off!" - - Really??? He, of course, is merely speculating! - - I would expect a g-sensor in parking mode to function just like the one in the above video made by BCHobbyist...a guy bumps into your car or a shopping cart hits your car, and the g-sensor gets triggered.

The fact is, the A129 Duo has had this same problem with "g-sensor sensitivity in parking mode" with firmware versions 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, and now 1.9. As someone who is very knowledgeable about dash cams recently said, Viofo has "...a predictable perfect record of releasing new dashcam models without fully testing hardware and firmware." - - In all likelihood, Viofo's new A129 Pro 4k will have the same issue! - - Yes, that's "my speculation" based on what I've experienced in dealing with Viofo.

So yes Yooshaw, I am definitely exploring alternatives. - - I think betting on Viofo completing the task-at-hand is simply a poor bet!

Last edited:
I may actually switch to time lapse recording tbh. I use low bit rate now, but I find it only last an hour or two tops and I dont want to reduce the volt cut off from 12.4 to 12.2 since I have a newish battery in my car. And with winter coming up i want to have a reliable starting car as well. I think time lapse uses way less power since unfortunately there is no sound recording, but that means it can record a whole days worth in a couple MB of data.

What is the better time lapse fps settings? 5fps? I may have to test

power consumption difference between timelapse and low bitrate will minimal, you might get a few extra minutes before it cuts out

Ahh gotcha. Then i guess the only option to increase length is reduce the voltage from 12.4 to 12.2.

Back