Buffered Parking mode

it's a G sensor, how much G force does a car door ding make?
Zero?

It makes a noise, but you don't measure noise in Gs, you measure acceleration in Gs!

it's a G sensor, how much G force does a car door ding make?
Probably not very much.

Personally, I'm not relying on the g-sensor to do anything at all, which is why I record full-time in low bitrate when parked. As a dashcam tester, I'm trying to help find a solution for all the users out there, but I think this is one function that I can't test reliably.

I'm growing tired of this debate and I'm ready to move on. I'll use low bitrate to record full-time front & back, and another pair of cameras in low bitrate to record left & right.

If the g-sensor saves something to the RO folder, that's fine. If there's a minor dent or scratch that I can't see by a quick look around the car before getting in, to me it's not worth worrying about.

I'm growing tired of this debate and I'm ready to move on. I'll use low bitrate to record full-time front & back, and another pair of cameras in low bitrate to record left & right.

If the g-sensor saves something to the RO folder, that's fine. If there's a minor dent or scratch that I can't see by a quick look around the car before getting in, to me it's not worth worrying about.

I basically feel the same, while I unlock the car and put my stuff in the boot, I get a good 10 seconds to look around the car.
If I can be sure buffered parking mode is 99.9% reliable I would use that rather than low bit-rate to cut down the review time if the car does get damaged.

Tapping on the window in front of the camera should do it, I assume that it is designed to filter out door closings, and probably people pressing down on the suspension too since that would be similar to a truck driving past and moving the car slightly in the wind. It should detect impacts, although I wouldn't expect it to catch minor door dings.

My Thinkware in my mum's car has the parking G-Sensor on low and locks the file on the doors closing. This is why I have expected the A129 Duo to do the same. If it can be done on one brand of dash cam, why not this one?

So it's a hardware issue? Probably can't even be fixed then unless they change the hardware on their new products
not saying it can or can't be fixed, just that the hardware is different so what another product does with different hardware doesn't mean much in this case

There lies part of the problem - different users' expectations of what the g-sensor is for.

As I asked a few days ago, what is the intended function of the g-sensor in parking mode? If it is for car-to-car impact and not for door-to-car impact, is there any sensible way that we can test it without damaging our cars?

Should we forget about trying to test it, and just expect that it will work when required? As has been said before, if it's a big enough impact - even from the side - there will be enough resultant movement to trigger a recording by motion detection.

I was at least one person who answered your question. I said the g-sensor should have a setting that allows it to go off when, impact similar to the impact of someone slamming, not merely shutting my doors, occurs.

Viofo has told me that such impact should be causing the g-sensor to get triggered... it DOES NOT! And viofo has been working trying to fix this for over a month. And they expect it to take "another month or more" to fix. Of course , a big part of the delay is they are prioritizing their new products ahead of existing customers! Of course, new products equal more sales and more revenues for Viofo.

I would certainly expect someone vigorously/aggressively pushing down on the back of my car over 20 times would cause the g-sensor to go off. The fact is, it does not.

And I'm personally tired of people on this forum speculating and making up assumptions that benefit Viofo rather than benefit the consumer. When I bought my camera, I intended for the g-sensor in parking mode to work; it does not work!!!

And the work around suggested by one of our so-called experts, is NOT a work-around. He didn't know, but I have confirmed, that his suggestion of using low bit-rate parking mode does not cause g-sensor to work.

So, instead of coming up with excuses and making assumptions as to why this thing does not work, let's insist that viofo fixes our problem!!!

As I said before, if I knew viofo was not dependable and had such crappy customer service, I would never ever have made this purchase. Let this be a word to the wise for new consumers... saving a few bucks on a camera that does not work properly is not worth it!!!

I agree with everything you've said @StrayCam

In the business world customers should always be priority but they choose the short financial gains over a strong customer following that would make their businesses even more profitable

My Thinkware in my mum's car has the parking G-Sensor on low and locks the file on the doors closing. This is why I have expected the A129 Duo to do the same. If it can be done on one brand of dash cam, why not this one?
As a dashcam tester, I would complain if the camera locked a file every time a door closed, and filled the memory card up with pointless files!

and deceleration, and yaw

point is it isn't going to be anywhere near as sensitive as some people hope
It doesn't measure yaw, it measures acceleration (positive and negative) around the yaw axis, the other 2 rotational axis, and along the 3 linear axis - it is a 6 axis accelerometer. The vehicle does need to move to trigger it, and just pressing down gently on the boot is going to be far too slow to be considered an impact.

It doesn't measure yaw, it measures acceleration (positive and negative) around the yaw axis, the other 2 rotational axis, and along the 3 linear axis - it is a 6 axis accelerometer.
I don't which G-Sensor they use so can't comment on the specifics, semantics though, you're not going to register a car door banging your car, or someone keying it (useless without video of the event anyway), I think some of the expectations are beyond the scope of possibility

I don't which G-Sensor they use so can't comment on the specifics, semantics though, you're not going to register a car door banging your car, or someone keying it (useless without video of the event anyway), I think some of the expectations are beyond the scope of possibility

It would be interesting to view other threads on this forum of people using g-sensors in parking mode with other makes of cameras. The A129 should be capable of similar results. If not, Viofo should take the "g-sensor feature" off of their camera packaging and they, or more likely since they have gone into hiding, some others should loudly and clearly tell users on this forum that the g-sensor feature does NOT work with Viofo cameras!!!

Last edited:
No, wrong! It does NOT work in parking mode, period! You can try to put lipstick on a pig with this issue but you still have a pig!

Let's be fair and pull up some threads of functioning g-sensors with other makes of cameras. Viofo cameras SHOULD be capable of what the competition/industry is doing. And if not, let's stop pretending!

I just love how "some people" on this forum make-up excuses, assumptions and speculate for Viofo's benefit. - It's beyond time for us to be honest about this purported feature of the A129 dash cam: "g-sensor in parking mode" - It Does Not Work!!!

Scroll up, someone earlier said they could set the G-Sensor off while in parking mode, ask them about it

Years ago when I had aftermarket car alarms I would test/adjust the shock sensor by hitting the windshield with the bottom of my fist rather hard.

They would not go off if car was rocked or pushing down on bumper, otherwise alarm would go off everytime a truck or bus drove by or it was very windy.

Shock sensor while driving will lock the file if accident happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No Jokiin, consumers here cannot get their Viofo dash cam g-sensors to work with parking mode!

I am 100% certain that there are enough smart people here on this thread who can come up with threads from this forum of "other makes of dash cams" that are successfully using g-sensor in parking mode. Let's find out their experiences! Viofo should be able to match what the competition is doing. - - If not, let's be loud and clear on any shortcomings of Viofo so that "prospective dash cam users" can be informed!

Back