Buffered Parking mode

Good idea for support other sensors, is there something introduction or spec for the sensor you mentioned?

There are several different manufacturers of sensors designed for auto security systems (car alarms) which could very easily be used with a buffered parking mode enabled dashcam in order to trigger recording from the internal buffer to storage card, but I will list a few from Directed Electronics (aka DEI) because their manuals are readily accessible on the internet, and also because they also manufacture some of the hardware sold under different brand names.

Most external sensor modules, regardless of type or manufacturer, tend to interface with an alarm system using the same mechanism -- a negative (ground) output trigger circuit provided by the sensor, usually through which a maximum of 200mA current can flow. If current limitations are met then the circuit can often be protected via an appropriate sized diode, or if current demands are greater than 200mA then a relay must be employed. (I suspect any negative input trigger built into your dashcams would require much less than the maximum current to flow, and as your dashcam would be providing that current, it is completely within your discretion as to how to best incorporate the circuit.)

Besides the negative (ground) output trigger wire, most sensor modules also require a constant 12V positive, and a negative (ground) connection to power their own internal electronics. But the dashcam and hardwire kit would only have to be concerned with the negative (ground) output trigger.

Following are some types of sensors, and the associated installation manuals for reference. Please note that as security sensors are often sold with the intent to be used with specific security systems, the manuals do not always indicate that the sensor trigger output is a negative (ground) pulse, but if you refer to the sections of the manuals in which connecting to third-party alarm systems is described, a negative (ground) output is inferred by the direction of the diode placement in the sample circuit wiring diagrams.

The first type of sensor I would list is a 508D Field Disturbance Sensor. This sensor would allow the dashcam to trigger a recording even if its own internal motion detection algorithm fails to record because its visual field is confused by direct sunlight during the day or insufficient ambient light at night. One could even wire up an auxiliary lighting source to illuminate when the field disturbance sensor is triggered in order to obtain usable video footage during the period of the disturbance. (You can think of this sensor as a configurable invisible radius around your car that when crossed, triggers a saved recording on your camera and can also be used to do whatever else you might be able to dream up too.)

508D Field Disturbance Sensor

These other type of sensors are pretty self explanatory:

504D Stinger Double Guard Shock Sensor

506T Audo Glass Break Sensor

509U Ultrasonic Air Disturbance Sensor

And of course, many security systems themselves can provide a negative (ground) output trigger in response to a button press on the remote control.

Regardless of whichever external sensor(s) are selected by dashcam owners, the dashcam could simply ignore the ground input trigger unless it is currently within the buffered parking mode cycle.

I would suggest that the dashcam include some sort of visual indicator or icon on the recorded video itself to indicate the reason for the buffered parking mode recording -- whether detected movement within the video frame, dashcam internal g-sensor detection, or external triger #1 or #2 if it should exist. That would help owners determine why something was recorded and what to look for in the recording itself if not immediately obvious.

Having an external recording trigger available such as described above would allow integration of the dashcam into more complete security systems -- which is probably why many of us are so interested in the buffered parking mode too.

@viofo
Good idea for support other sensors, is there something introduction or spec for the sensor you mentioned?
One more suggestion. Can we define Home based on GPS location so that Parking mode would be disabled when Home? Some people park in the garage at home and there is no need for parking mode there. Parking mode should stay enabled when parked anywhere else.

@viofo

One more suggestion. Can we define Home based on GPS location so that Parking mode would be disabled when Home? Some people park in the garage at home and there is no need for parking mode there. Parking mode should stay enabled when parked anywhere else.

You can do that with a switch on the power line to the dashcam.

Depending upon a gps signal indoors is problematic as garage roof will obstruct signal, and then how precise would location resolution have to be? If you occasionally leave your car in your driveway, or on the street outside your house, will you be happy with the buffered parking mode having been automatically disabled by location -- especially if something happens and no recording is available?

This request would open a whole can of unreliable worms, and few people would ever likely be completely happy with the results.

Though the A129 is Bluetooth enabled, and if it could sense a low power Bluetooth device mounted somewhere in the garage or house and disable its parking mode while in its presence, then perhaps it could be more reliable. (much like automatic Bluetooth unlocking feature found in many phones)

But frankly I personally don't see the point. What exactly is to gain?? The hardwire kit is already protecting car battery reserve, and it seems an unnecessary complication.

Also, what if someone breaks into your house through the garage? That is a video I would want to have!

Last edited:
@viofo ,

One suggestion that I don't know if is possible to implement.
Would it be possible to limit the visible section that triggers the motion detection event?, sometimes the motion detection event triggers when something is changed in the "image" but this "something" is very far of the car.
I don't want that the camera starts to record when detects something that is 5/10/.. meters away from the car, if we could limit the image section(ex: 50% botton image ) that triggers the motion detection event it should be very usefull to limit "unuseful" videos in parking mode.

Regards,

someone breaks into your house through the garage
Impossible in mine

switch on the power line
not automatic

garage roof will obstruct signal
Last position before parking

few people would ever likely be completely happy with the results
Nobody is perfectly happy with anything. And it will be optional ON/OFF in the menu.

if it could sense a low power Bluetooth device
It can only work with one BT device, the button. And I have that already.

What exactly is to gain?
I don't need to see myself in the garage. Writing cycles on the card.

Also, if I go to the supermarket 5 minutes away, I like to have enough left in the battery to cover the 1-2 hours that I may be parked there. If the battery starts off empty then the 5 minute drive is not enough to cover the supermarket parking, if it powers down every night while in the garage then I will probably have 24 hours of power available.

As for the manual switch, I have one of those, but sometimes it gets forgotten.

Viofo is creating a product to record video from your car and you guys are trying to concoct situations in order to stop it from recording. That's against the nature of the product and if I were therm, your suggestions would be prioritized to the bottom of the list.

If you really want to automatically turn off the power to your camera when approaching or entering your garage, I can think of at least two methods to accomplish that by placing an off-the-shelf device between your car and the dashcam power supply or ground.

Here's the simple one. Wire in a latching relay circuit to the exact same switch that activates your garage door opener.

And allow Viofo to prioritize making their dashcams better at recording, rather than 'not recording'.

Last edited:
The FW is already complicated enough. Adding things like geofencing is a step too far IMO.

If I just press the Menu/Power on /off button and turn it off when I'm on my drive and not using the car and press it again when I use the car the next time,then it just starts off as before with parking mode and other settings working!

My car is being watched by CCTV on the drive so I've no need for Parking Mode there!

I can't see any need another switch is there?

I'd like my dashcam to recognize my girlfriend and automatically delete the last three video files and stop recording until ten minutes after it sees her leaving so my wife does not find out about her, but I don't expect viofo to program that into the firmware for me!

But seriously, if you really want to automate turning off the dashcam by gps location, you can easily accomplish that today without any firmware changes by wiring a Bluetooth controlled relay board into the power circuit and using a scripting app on your phone to turn off the relay when your phone recognizes that you've entered your geofenced area.

Last edited:
I'd like my dashcam to recognize my girlfriend and automatically delete the last three video files and stop recording until ten minutes after it sees her leaving so my wife does not find out about her, but I don't expect viofo to program that into the firmware for me!

But seriously, if you really want to automate turning off the dashcam by gps location, you can easily accomplish that today without any firmware changes by wiring a Bluetooth controlled relay board into the power circuit and using a scripting app on your phone to turn off the relay when your phone recognizes that you've entered your geofenced area.
Any particular reason for bitching against a suggestion for additional features?
I do not expect to be done anytime soon or at all. It's up to Viofo to decide.

Does the buffered parking mode use less energy and generate less heat than standard parking mode?

I've confirmed that I've installed the new firmware (v 1.7), but I don't see anything in the menu that specifically says, "Buffered Parking Mode." So, how do I engage buffered parking mode and what do my other settings need to be?

I've confirmed that I've installed the new firmware (v 1.7), but I don't see anything in the menu that specifically says, "Buffered Parking Mode." So, how do I engage buffered parking mode and what do my other settings need to be?
Set the parking option to Auto Event Detection to enable buffered parking mode. Then you can set parking mode g-sensor and motion detection sensitivity, separate from the driving g-sensor.

Reactions: Mtz
Set the parking option to Auto Event Detection to enable buffered parking mode. Then you can set parking mode g-sensor and motion detection sensitivity, separate from the driving g-sensor.
Okay, will do. Thanks, Tony.

@viofo ,

One suggestion that I don't know if is possible to implement.
Would it be possible to limit the visible section that triggers the motion detection event?, sometimes the motion detection event triggers when something is changed in the "image" but this "something" is very far of the car.
I don't want that the camera starts to record when detects something that is 5/10/.. meters away from the car, if we could limit the image section(ex: 50% botton image ) that triggers the motion detection event it should be very usefull to limit "unuseful" videos in parking mode.

Regards,

This is what we planned to add in future.

So i understand this correct, that when buffered parking mode is enabled with g-sensor and motion detection, files will only be saved in case of one of the sensor sensed something and then (iirc) +-15s of that event will be saved to sd-card, but not into the RO-folder?

@viofo Will there be any indicator that motion was detected or the g-sensor sensed something? If not, will there be a setting where i can set the files to be stored in the RO-folder?
I'm asking because if you don't see any damage at first glance (e.g. in the dark), you drive off, possible clips will be overwritten after driving for hours.

Hope you get my point :)

A very good question,I hope they do!

Back