Buffered Parking mode

None of the buffered Parking Mode firmware for any model passed my impact tests which is why I haven't created any A129D or A119V3 Parking Mode videos. The VIOFO buffered Parking Auto Event Detection Mode hasn't passed my replicateable cart test except the non-buffered Mini Q9 and if I remember the A119S FW2.61 .
My Cart Test side impacts are with cart ramming the steel front wheel hub to create sharp shock vibration which should be detected by any G-sensor. Kicking the rubber tire only rocks the vehicle which isn't detected easily. Currently the only reliable protection is from the continuous Parking Low Bitrate Recording Mode which includes audio and also works with power banks.
FYI - buffered Parking Mode did record side impact from motorized Go-Kart minor crash caused by unrelated soft-ware shoe lace entanglement MOD used to maximize RPM.

Thanks for your feedback it's appreciated. Even videos or written text of failures is valuable information for the consumer often times. I've not messed very much with low bit recording mode in part because I don't like the idea of it constantly writing to SD card, and although it will consume less space it still seems like it will cause the SD card to prematurely wear out. I'm trying it now but it seems like it gets confused and thinks Parking mode is off as it turned off after installing it instead of going to low bit parking mode. Had to go in and out in the menu of different parking modes a few times and turn the ignition on / off until it stayed on, in what I'm hoping is low bit parking mode. I'll see next time I pull it to review videos. As well as if it continues to get confused and turn itself off.

the A129 is never going to match the results of the Q9, that is using a different method which doesn't work for this situation

Thanks very much BCHobbyist for your post and for sharing your information. - - So, it's clear this g-sensor in parking mode has persisted for many months. - - How long would/should it take a company like Viofo to simply alter the g-sensor sensitivity so that it can work properly for our A129's??? - - At last notice recently to Sdeel7491, Viofo is saying "maybe in October"!!! This whole thing seems like it's been dragging-out needlessly! Do you have any ideas why???
excellent question, short answer = firmware adjustments must be sent to FW engineer then Beta versions sent to selected owners with results compared to determine further changes or public release.
Often some Beta Testers gets different results than another using the same T1 T2 T3 firmware due to vehicle, wiring, mount, memory card ... this creates delays in perfecting firmware and new features. The buffered Parking Mode algorithm is complex and depends greatly on the G-sensor which may or may not be the best sensor to detect minor impacts.
As someone else mentioned, if buffered Parking Mode with selectable G-sensor sensitivity is a "must have" feature for your vehicle protection compare many other brands and models to find one that works the best for your needs.
The A129 Pro Duo 4K Dashcam will obviously out perform all other models once the Firmware has passed many months of real world testing by unbiased End Users.

excellent question, short answer = firmware adjustments must be sent to FW engineer then Beta versions sent to selected owners with results compared to determine further changes or public release.
Often some Beta Testers gets different results than another using the same T1 T2 T3 firmware due to vehicle, wiring, mount, memory card ... this creates delays in perfecting firmware and new features. The buffered Parking Mode algorithm is complex and depends greatly on the G-sensor which may or may not be the best sensor to detect minor impacts.
As someone else mentioned, if buffered Parking Mode with selectable G-sensor sensitivity is a "must have" feature for your vehicle protection compare many other brands and models to find one that works the best for your needs.
The A129 Pro Duo 4K Dashcam will obviously out perform all other models once the Firmware has passed many months of real world testing by unbiased End Users.

Since we A129 users are pretty much "beta testers" anyway, why don't they just let everyone try out the beta version firmware instead of waiting until November/December for the final rellease???? It can't get any worse for a129 users; It doesn't seem like that could hurt much....

And does it really take 4-6 months to go through this testing for the g-sensor sensitivity. You mentioned you were already testing it two months ago...?

And does it really take 4-6 months to go through this testing for the g-sensor sensitivity. You mentioned you were already testing it two months ago...?
It's not as simple as increasing one value in the FW code. Other functions can be affected.

As BCHobbyist mentioned,
the buffered Parking Mode algorithm is complex and depends greatly on the G-sensor
Amongst other things, the camera uses the sensor as part of its calculation to determine when to enter and exit parking mode (if the HK3 is not in use). I tested one FW version which was very sensitive, but the A129 would not go into parking mode at all, because it did not think it had stopped moving for 5 minutes. I could only get the A129 with that FW version into parking mode by using a hardwire trigger.

It's not as simple as increasing one value in the FW code. Other functions can be affected.

As BCHobbyist mentioned, Amongst other things, the camera uses the sensor as part of its calculation to determine when to enter and exit parking mode (if the HK3 is not in use). I tested one FW version which was very sensitive, but the A129 would not go into parking mode at all, because it did not think it had stopped moving for 5 minutes. I could only get the A129 with that FW version into parking mode by using a hardwire trigger.

I would suspect that most users here are using the hw3 kit. and I'm guessing that the scenario you depicted would not occur if you were using that kit because the kit knows when it's in parking mode or not, right?

viofo should give customers the choice to use either the beta version that's out and about, or the older version which doesn't work at all with g-sensor in parking mode. This is not unlike what they have done in the past...

But as it is, Viofo expects everybody to be patient and wait through October and most likely, November and December to get what should be a simple adjustment fixed.

I would suspect that most users here are using the hw3 kit. and I'm guessing that the scenario you depicted would not occur if you were using that kit because the kit knows when it's in parking mode or not, right?
there's some added complexity due to the camera having parking modes that can work with 2 wire or 3 wire setups, their setup is not at all straightforward
But as it is, Viofo expects everybody to be patient and wait through October and most likely, November and December to get what should be a simple adjustment fixed.
3 day holiday in China right now, there is a national holiday from the first of October which kills productivity for most of the month, at this time of year delays are expected

I would suspect that most users here are using the hw3 kit.
I would not like to make that assumption, and in any case Viofo are trying to develop firmware that suits hardwire (both 2 and 3 wire types) and powerbank for power supply in parking mode. Therefore I will continue to test the A129 without a hardwire kit.

It's taken me 6 years of dashcam ownership before finally installing a hardwire kit earlier this month, which is mostly used by the A129 Pro. My regular A129 is still powered by a 12v adapter and a powerbank.

there's some added complexity due to the camera having parking modes that can work with 2 wire or 3 wire setups, their setup is not at all straightforward

3 day holiday in China right now, there is a national holiday from the first of October which kills productivity for most of the month, at this time of year delays are expected

Well in all fairness, the delays have been going on for months! You mean the delay is actually going to get worse!!!! :mad: A month and a half ago Viofo/Bill Zhou said the problem with the A129 g-sensor sensitivity would be fixed within a month...Fact Check: NOT!

I would not like to make that assumption, and in any case Viofo are trying to develop firmware that suits hardwire (both 2 and 3 wire types) and powerbank for power supply in parking mode. Therefore I will continue to test the A129 without a hardwire kit.

It's taken me 6 years of dashcam ownership before finally installing a hardwire kit earlier this month, which is mostly used by the A129 Pro. My regular A129 is still powered by a 12v adapter and a powerbank.

Based on my memory, the guys that are complaining on here recently about the g sensor not working are using hw3 kits. And if there are one or two who are not, still give us the chance to use it if we have the hw3 kit. it's like pulling teeth trying to get some kind of satisfaction out of the Viofo quickly...as I said somewhere before, we could have landed a spaceship on the moon and had it come back in the time that viofo has known about this problem...

If a beta firmware ended up bricking cams or causing other serious malfunctions, it's simply smarter to have only a few people affected than thousands which might need to be warrantied- can you imagine the ruckus if that happened? Generally, dashcam beta testers are given the cams at no cost so if something kills it the user hasn't lost any money in the process. And doing private beta allows the manufacturer to use only persons whose knowledge and experience mean their reports on functioning won't be influenced by other non-related issues such as cards, PS's, dirty windshields etc.

I won't mention names but one currently popular cam has had semi-public beta firmware made available for it, and some of those who used some of it wound up with bricked cams. Fortunately they were firmware-recoverable so no need to warranty bunches of cams, but it shows the potential pitfalls and risks of wide-spread beta firmware use. Some manufacturers will give you beta firmware if you ask but most (maybe all) who do will make it clear that you're using it at your own risk and your warranty won't cover problems caused by running that firmware.

So I can't fault restricted beta-testing of dashcams, and I know that often one change will cause something else to go haywire so it isn't always a straightforward thing to fix glitches and bugs related to firmware or hardware. One of the most highly developed cams ever (probably THE most highly developed one) is the original Mobius. If you look back through it's forum and read about it from the beginning you'll see how things didn't always go smoothly or fast, but in the end it became one of the very best dashcams of it's time (and it's still probably the best in certain specific applications). That took years, not months- just saying.

Phil

If a beta firmware ended up bricking cams or causing other serious malfunctions, it's simply smarter to have only a few people affected than thousands which might need to be warrantied- can you imagine the ruckus if that happened? Generally, dashcam beta testers are given the cams at no cost so if something kills it the user hasn't lost any money in the process. And doing private beta allows the manufacturer to use only persons whose knowledge and experience mean their reports on functioning won't be influenced by other non-related issues such as cards, PS's, dirty windshields etc.

I won't mention names but one currently popular cam has had semi-public beta firmware made available for it, and some of those who used some of it wound up with bricked cams. Fortunately they were firmware-recoverable so no need to warranty bunches of cams, but it shows the potential pitfalls and risks of wide-spread beta firmware use. Some manufacturers will give you beta firmware if you ask but most (maybe all) who do will make it clear that you're using it at your own risk and your warranty won't cover problems caused by running that firmware.

So I can't fault restricted beta-testing of dashcams, and I know that often one change will cause something else to go haywire so it isn't always a straightforward thing to fix glitches and bugs related to firmware or hardware. One of the most highly developed cams ever (probably THE most highly developed one) is the original Mobius. If you look back through it's forum and read about it from the beginning you'll see how things didn't always go smoothly or fast, but in the end it became one of the very best dashcams of it's time (and it's still probably the best in certain specific applications). That took years, not months- just saying.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for all the information about beta firmware testing. That all makes perfect sense!

As consumers/users of the A129, we can only set our "expectations" based on what Viofo communicates to us. To do otherwise would be foolish. - - There are many knowledgeable people on this forum who at times speculate about Viofo and what they can and cannot do for us, but ultimately, it's Viofo who sets-up what we consumers expect.

If an "uninformed user" (no one on this thread, that's for sure) looked at the change-log printed out by Viofo on the most recent firmware update, 1.9 (attached), they would draw a conclusion that "the g-sensor sensitivity problem in parking mode works just fine with the A129". - - The fact is, it DOES NOT. Why does Viofo tell us consumers something that isn't true? - - Good question!

Viofo via Bill Zhou a month-and-a-half ago told me that they would have the g-sensor problems corrected within a month. I'm assuming he's the "most qualified person" at Viofo to tell us consumers what to expect. After all, he knows the problem facing the A129; . he knows the solution that needs to occur; and most importantly, he knows his Company's capabilities.

So Viofo, via Bill Zhou, puts out an "expectation" to us that the problem we were all facing for months would be resolved by the end of August. Not only is that NOT happening, but Bill Zhou/Viofo now tells Sdeel7491 that Viofo just "might have the problem fixed by the end of October". (Of course Jokiin just pointed out to us that companies in China don't really work during October due to Holidays, etc....) - - How could Bill Zhou's earlier estimate of time to correct the g-sensor sensitivity problem have been so far off? Are we wrong to trust what Viofo/Bill Zhou tells us? - - Why would Viofo again tell us something that is not true. Another good question!

So, in a sense, we users of the A129 have been misled by Viofo. Their updated firware, 1.9, has not fixed our problem has they claimed, and they continue to make-up new time frames for when our problem with the g-sensor in parking mode might get fixed. It's no wonder so many A129 users are disappointed with Vofo as Viofo has set-up consumer expectations that have been pretty much worthless. - - At this point it may be best if we just expect that the problem won't ever get fixed, and if it does we can all be surprised!

Attachments

• Viofo Announce G-Sensor in Parking Mode is Fixed With FW 1.9.JPG
    Viofo Announce G-Sensor in Parking Mode is Fixed With FW 1.9.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 36
I am going to use my hard wire kit, is there anything I need to change in the settings.only thing I did so far is changed the Hz.to 60. All the rest is factory

I am going to use my hard wire kit, is there anything I need to change in the settings.only thing I did so far is changed the Hz.to 60. All the rest is factory

Hey Airbore, I thought someone would have replied to you by now! - - I've always used the HW3 kit... I wouldn't think there's any special adjustments required to use it with your a129. Yes, I always use 60 hz... It should work fine for you in terms of changing from parking mode to driving mode and back...

Hi @Airborne , also make sure you plug the hardwire power kit cable directly into the dash cam usb socket for the hardwire kit to work properly. 60Hz seems to be the frequency for NTSC as I'm using 50Hz here in Australia for PAL

Hi @Airborne , also make sure you plug the hardwire power kit cable directly into the dash cam usb socket for the hardwire kit to work properly. 60Hz seems to be the frequency for NTSC as I'm using 50Hz here in Australia for PAL
the 50Hz/60Hz setting is to suit the local power supply so you don't get rolling bars in the video from mains powered incandescent lighting

the 50Hz/60Hz setting is to suit the local power supply so you don't get rolling bars in the video from mains powered incandescent lighting

Thanks for that info @jokiin . When I was using 60Hz there was quite a bit of flickering in the video but changing it to 50Hz fixed that. But I still get flickering from some traffic lights and vehicle head/rear lights no matter which frequency I use

Thanks for that info @jokiin . When I was using 60Hz there was quite a bit of flickering in the video but changing it to 50Hz fixed that. But I still get flickering from some traffic lights and vehicle head/rear lights no matter which frequency I use
LED lights will still flicker as they don't run at the same frequency

What is Gps doing for the parking mode?
The Viofo site is stating this under Advanced parking mode:
For a more accurate and smooth parking mode experience, it is better to add a GPS for speed detection.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

What is Gps doing for the parking mode?
The Viofo site is stating this under Advanced parking mode:
For a more accurate and smooth parking mode experience, it is better to add a GPS for speed detection.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Switching to parking mode when speed = 0 without 3 wire kit.

I'd like to see a way to have GPS automatically switched off when parked as I'm sure it's a big power drain, like it is in mobile phones.

Back