Cable length

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
What length cable is recommended for front camera in Tacoma 2001, I know the type just the length is what I'm checking on.

What length cable is recommended for front camera in Tacoma 2001, I know the type just the length is what I'm checking on.

Totally depends on how much you need, then add a foot or two. A rough measure should do.

I've been using 2 and 4 metre versions from Monoprice for my Mobius cameras, no issues till now. Just don't use them with the A119S, big problems there.

In my access cab Tacoma I use a 10 footer for the front camera(s) and 15 footers for the rear and side cams, all from Monoprice. Ten feet is too short for the rear and sides and 15 can be a bit long so I just coil any extra under the rear Husky floor mats. Having some extra length can be handy and obviously too short just won't cut it.

You can always hide the extra if a cable is too long - if the cable's too short then you have to get an Acme Cable Stretcher from Wile E Coyote Enterprises. :D

WileECoyote.jpg

(My apologies to those who have never seen the cartoon series and have no idea what I'm talking about.)

You can always hide the extra if a cable is too long - if the cable's too short then you have to get an Acme Cable Stretcher from Wile E Coyote Enterprises. :D

View attachment 32265

(My apologies to those who have never seen the cartoon series and have no idea what I'm talking about.)

I've tried some of the Acme products. They almost worked! :D

Years ago, I had a true Wile E. Coyote moment. Where I live we can get enormous amounts of snow and I will have to remove the snow from the roof of my house, barn and garage using a snow rake. One year, long ago I went out onto the front porch roof through a window in my office and cleared the roof by hand with a snow shovel. The pitch of the roof isn't all that steep. So, I got it all done and was heading back inside when I noticed a small section that I missed and decided to clean it up. Stupid move! I took one step towards the spot with the snow, slipped and went right off the roof. I landed in the shrubs and deep snow below and luckily the worse that happened was getting the wind knocked out of me. Eventually, I made my way back up to my office to shut the window and I had a good laugh when I looked at the roof. In the remaining snow on the roof I could see a blizzard of marks from my hands frantically trying to scramble my way back up the roof to keep from going over the edge and then it abruptly transitioned to ten long straight "claw marks" from my fingers as I slid the rest of the way down the roof and over the edge. It looked exactly like a scene from a Wile E. Coyote cartoon! :D I even have some photos of it somewhere.

Last edited:
Year ago, I had a true Wile E. Coyote moment. Where I live we can get enormous amounts of snow and I will have to remove the snow from the roof of my house, barn and garage using a snow rake. One year, long ago I went out onto the front porch roof through a window in my office and cleared the roof by hand with a snow shovel. The pitch of the roof isn't all that steep. So, I got it all done and was heading back inside when I noticed a small section that I missed and decided to clean it up. Stupid move! I took one step towards the spot with the snow, slipped and went right off the roof. I landed in the shrubs and deep snow below and luckily the worse that happened was getting the wind knocked out of me. Eventually, I made my way back up to my office to shut the window and I had a good laugh when I looked at the roof. In the remaining snow on the roof I could see a blizzard of marks from my hands frantically trying to scramble my way back up the roof to keep from going over the edge and then it abruptly transitioned to ten long straight "claw marks" from my fingers as I slid the rest of the way down the roof and over the edge. It looked exactly like a scene from a Wile E. Coyote cartoon! :D I even have some photos of it somewhere.
That qualifies as a Wile E. Coyote moment :p:D

I can't count the many times the felt paper roofing underlayment tore under my feet. It's sent me off of roofs twice :( You quickly learn to run like Hades uphill when the paper goes so you don't slide off. When you see someone doing this they look like Fred Flinstone getting the family 'car' moving with feet flying frantically but nobody is moving anywhere :ROFLMAO: The local term for this is "taking a black magic carpet ride" and you can believe me when I say it's not a ride you ever want to take. It does however teach you to nail the crap out of the underlayment before walking on it ;)

Phil

I grew up watching those Cartoons as a kid. Wouldn't mind sitting down and watching them again. Hilarious. Probably get even more of a larf as an Adult.
As an Adult ... you can appreciate how clever (and twisted) those writers were to come up with this stuff.

No matter how hard you try/persist - you may never end up getting what you want. The harsh reality. :p

Last edited:
In my access cab Tacoma I use a 10 footer for the front camera(s) and 15 footers for the rear and side cams, all from Monoprice. Ten feet is too short for the rear and sides and 15 can be a bit long so I just coil any extra under the rear Husky floor mats. Having some extra length can be handy and obviously too short just won't cut it.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if we had talked about the front camera or not, I'll just order a 10 footer, it should be enough.

I can't count the many times the felt paper roofing underlayment tore under my feet. It's sent me off of roofs twice :( You quickly learn to run like Hades uphill when the paper goes so you don't slide off. When you see someone doing this they look like Fred Flinstone getting the family 'car' moving with feet flying frantically but nobody is moving anywhere :ROFLMAO: The local term for this is "taking a black magic carpet ride" and you can believe me when I say it's not a ride you ever want to take. It does however teach you to nail the crap out of the underlayment before walking on it ;)

Phil
When I was about 6 years old or so my father had decided to put a corrugated tin roof on the dormer part of our house (dormer made it a 2 story house). I wasn't supposed to get on the roof but you know how 6 year old kids are! I climbed out onto the dormer and sat very still, yelled at my dad, he yelled back, I moved and started sliding, when I got to the end of the dormer I felt like I was going 100 mph, off that and kept sliding! I was grabbing for anything I could to stop but the only thing to grab was the gutters which I pulled off the house. Dad came running to see if I was hurt, I wasn't so he decided to correct that with his belt:cry:, right then and there I decided no more roofs for me:rolleyes::cool:. Moral to story, kids can really learn fast if you know how to teach them:D.

When I was about 6 years old or so my father had decided to put a corrugated tin roof on the dormer part of our house (dormer made it a 2 story house). I wasn't supposed to get on the roof but you know how 6 year old kids are! I climbed out onto the dormer and sat very still, yelled at my dad, he yelled back, I moved and started sliding, when I got to the end of the dormer I felt like I was going 100 mph, off that and kept sliding! I was grabbing for anything I could to stop but the only thing to grab was the gutters which I pulled off the house. Dad came running to see if I was hurt, I wasn't so he decided to correct that with his belt:cry:, right then and there I decided no more roofs for me:rolleyes::cool:. Moral to story, kids can really learn fast if you know how to teach them:D.

I would think that sliding off the roof like that at six years of age might be a lesson enough in itself! I guess corporal punishment was believed to be a good way to discipline your kids years ago. :(

All I can say is that there is a direct connection between a kid's backside and whatever part of the brain it is that prompts their memory to function :p I would agree that it should be limited to only worst-case situations which my Dad did not do :( It teaches a very valuable life-lesson though: You can learn through brain or you can learn through pain so be smart and learn the easy way :cool:

Of the several who've I've seen grab at the gutter to try to stop a fall, none were successful and the gutter always comes down with them. It's instinctive to try regardless ;) When swung in panic-mode, a straight-claw hammer will usually dig in or break through the roof sheeting giving you something to hang onto and stop your fall. But for that to work, you're hammer must be in you hand and you'll need to be sliding face-down which isn't always going to happen. There's no time for much reacting when things go this bad this quickly. The outcome is mostly luck and like pilot's say "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing." :D

Phil

...I guess corporal punishment was believed to be a good way to discipline your kids years ago. :(
Well, my Dad kept 3 kids in school, off drugs and out of jail using that method. Work well enough for him that I did the same with my 4 kids - and they all thanked me for the 'lessons' eventually.

Well, my Dad kept 3 kids in school, off drugs and out of jail using that method. Work well enough for him that I did the same with my 4 kids - and they all thanked me for the 'lessons' eventually.

Current research suggests otherwise.

In 38 countries around the world, it is illegal for a parent, teacher, or anyone else to spank a child, and 113 countries prohibit corporal punishment in schools.

American Psychologocal Association - The case against spanking
Physical discipline is slowly declining as some studies reveal lasting harms for children.

How Corporal Punishment May Harm Kids
Why experts say spanking kids is ineffective and harmful

Spanking the gray matter out of our kids
Spanking or other forms of corporal punishment can alter children's brains, research shows

Spanking and Other Physical Punishments―Revisited
Physical punishment is a serious public health problem

Last edited:
Back