Expending cameras USB cable

Dimitris1976

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Viofo's interior camera connects to main unit, over a 1 meter long 3.5mm stereo jack to USB-C cable that I would like to extend to the back window.
The 6 meter long cable the manufacturer offers is way too long for my needs.
Did anyone succeed in extending it with a run off the mill female-C to male-C USB extension cord?

Viofo makes a bunch of different cameras that use different connections. It would be helpful if you specified the model number of the camera you have.
It is not clear to me what the USB C cable is doing in your situation. Is it being used as a power cable, or a data cable. If it is being used only for power, there are a bunch of USB C charging cables of pretty much any length you could want. If it is being used for high speed data, the specification severely limits the length the cable can be.

Viofo makes a bunch of different cameras that use different connections. It would be helpful if you specified the model number of the camera you have.
It is not clear to me what the USB C cable is doing in your situation. Is it being used as a power cable, or a data cable. If it is being used only for power, there are a bunch of USB C charging cables of pretty much any length you could want. If it is being used for high speed data, the specification severely limits the length the cable can be.
I would like to extend the phone jack to USB cable for the cabin camera.
It's a 3 channel Viofo A229 Pro.

I would get an extension cable for the phone jack, but that might not work for video signals. The USB to phone jack cable is proprietary, and the wiring is not documented.
It looks like 1M or 6M are your only choices. I'd just get the 6m cable and find a place to hide the extra cable in the trim somewhere.

I would get an extension cable for the phone jack, but that might not work for video signals. The USB to phone jack cable is proprietary, and the wiring is not documented.
It looks like 1M or 6M are your only choices. I'd just get the 6m cable and find a place to hide the extra cable in the trim somewhere.
I wrote previously that it's a stereo jack, but it's not. It's a 4-pole jack.
I could easily solder a female to male 4-pole extension cable but I can't help wondering...
Even if VIOFO's pinout is proprietary in their actual cable, what would prevent an exact pin-to-pin generic USB extension cable to function.
I guess I'll have to fimd out myself...

I wrote previously that it's a stereo jack, but it's not. It's a 4-pole jack.
I could easily solder a female to male 4-pole extension cable but I can't help wondering...
Even if VIOFO's pinout is proprietary in their actual cable, what would prevent an exact pin-to-pin generic USB extension cable to function.
I guess I'll have to fimd out myself...
What is going to fail is that a cell phone headphone jack extension cable is designed for audio, and not video. The viofo cable likely has a coaxial cable in it to transmit the high bandwidth video signal. If the audio cable works at all, the video quality will be terrible.

Viofo's interior camera connects to main unit, over a 1 meter long 3.5mm stereo jack to USB-C cable that I would like to extend to the back window.
The 6 meter long cable the manufacturer offers is way too long for my needs.
Did anyone succeed in extending it with a run off the mill female-C to male-C USB extension cord?
How long does the cable for the interior camera you need? We also have a 3M interior cable.

What is going to fail is that a cell phone headphone jack extension cable is designed for audio, and not video. The viofo cable likely has a coaxial cable in it to transmit the high bandwidth video signal. If the audio cable works at all, the video quality will be terrible.
I never mentioned a cell phone headphone jack extension cable.
Coaxial is probably not. This is not analog - it's certainly digital signal transmission.

Back