Cam to film driver and dash of car?

DavidUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a small cheap cam to temporarily mount to the underside of the car's full length glass sunroof, and film from slightly behind the driver, picking up their head, the dash, gear lever, steering wheel, and view out of the windscreen. With sound.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

I would suggest the Mobius 1S 2K camera with the C2 lens option. It is very small and reasonably priced. The camera will work with either a super-capacitor or battery (and can be purchased with either option or changed by the user later) . It will produce excellent results and can be mounted in a variety of configurations including upside down. A suction cup mount with a tripod thread on the glass sunroof above and behind the driver would be an ideal way to accomplish what you are describing.

https://www.ebay.com/str/eletoponline365/Mobius-1-Camera/_i.html?store_cat=14392400015

That rings a bell from years ago when I was researching cams. What's the sound quality like on it?

I note it takes micro-SD unto 32GB. Anyone know how long that gives at say 1920x1080 with sound before it loops back and starts recording over content?

I take it I need the capacitor version to power by cable from the car's USB?

Where's cheapest to buy in the UK?

Thanks all.

The Mobius 1S will accept a 256GB memory card. It will need to be formatted to exFAT.

The GUI which you configure with the camera connected to a Windows PC offers a remarkable level of exposure and other camera controls unavailable on any other camera.

The M1S sound quality is pretty good but not as good as the original Mobius 1 which was outstanding. However, the M1S allows you to adjust the volume of the audio recording.

See the following link for more details about both operation of the Mobius 1S and the original Mobius 1.

Mobius 1S

Mobius 1

Last edited:
If you want to use the camera primarily as a dash cam rather than an action camera I recommend you order one with the super-capacitor option. The link you provided is the battery powered option.

When I spoke to Chris at MiniDV he explained the capacitor is a swap out for the standard battery at £5.99, here: https://minidvcameras.co.uk/product/super-capacitor-for-the-mobius-actioncam/

Seems best to buy the battery version, add the capacitor, and then I have a choice of either for the future. Agree?

Just thinking though... as I have an issue with the A119 (see: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-lens-wobble-normal-or-not.50116/#post-608293 ) and you think it obsolete, could I buy an A129 Duo and use the rear camera to fulfil this temporary requirement (to film driver, dash, etc) rather than a Mobius 1S and then later place it at the rear as intended? I'd have to find a way of mounting the A129 rear cam onto a suction mount, but I guess that's not impossible? Or is the A129 rear cam unsuitable for close-up in cabin filming?

I found this (old) thread saying the A129 has a better sensor than the Mobius but then the 1S may have improved on this to make it on a par with the A129?: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4320124

Sure, buy the battery powered Mobius with a separate super-capacitor, as long as you actually have a use for a battery powered Mobius, otherwise the battery is just a waste.

While the Mobius 1S offers higher resolution and better low light performance, you are seeking to match the performance of the A129 which is also an older, already somewhat obsolete camera. If you really want good dynamic range then invest in a camera with the new Starvis 2 sensor like the A119 Mini 2 which offers a dramatic leap forward in dash camera performance, especially in the area of dynamic range.

When people wish to capture the interior of their cabins they often purchase a three channel model which comes with a camera module designed for this purpose, but I'm sure you could use a two channel camera and mount the rear camera facing forward. It is a question of whether it will capture what you need, but you have not explained why you want to do this in the first place, so I have no idea if this would be suitable.

Reason: There's an occasional "clunk" from the car's drivetrain at slow speeds which the dealer cannot replicate. It causes the car to jerk, lose drive, and the driver to swear profusely. A visual recording may capture the jerky movement and what the driver does thereafter whilst, hopefully, remembering to record a narrative of what's happening. It's by no means guaranteed to work, but my wife had the idea so who am I to argue!

At £150 for a single Mini 2 I may as well keep the A119 and add the Mobius. I've not found anywhere for the capacitor version cheaper than the battery version + capacitor, but I'll look harder if that's the ultimate route.

Last edited:
It's been with the dealership a week, just back, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hey, here's a blast from the past... How about a brand new Viifo G1W!? I looked at Techmoan's YouTube review (from 2016!) and it would surely do for the inside filming although I'm not sure about sound quality. Comes with a variety of mounts, all for £10 + post. I know they were only £30-40 when sold originally.

Just reading that there isn't a reliable suction mount and if I mount the cam on the inside of the sunroof it may drop off.

If I use 3M tape to stick the cam mount to the glass I'll need to inset a wedge to get the correct angle downwards to the driver/dash. It'll be tricky to get this right first time even with a screen attached by cable to monitor the view.

Is there a small adjustable bracket which I can stick to the sunroof and then stick the cam to? Anyone?

Or... has anyone come across a reliable suction mount which is cheap, for this short-term project, and won't drop off and scare my wife to death!

Thanks for suggestions.

Just reading that there isn't a reliable suction mount and if I mount the cam on the inside of the sunroof it may drop off.
I've been using one of these for temporary mounting for some time now. At various times it's been attached for months without loosing suction. I use dual-lock tape on this and the camera for attaching. I haven't found any source for them other than directly from Arkon (but haven't looked either except for just now, used to be on Amazon).

Last edited:
I would probably throw the new Vantrue N4 Pro (4K, Starvis) in as an option. Interior cam rotates almost full 180 (up to down and the sound is pretty good imho. Has a suction mount (I use on windshield, should work on glass targa/sunroof.)

I have the older N4 and it could pull duty here but since the Pro is now out I'd def go for that since after you deal with your stealership, you'll have a dang good 4k dashcam w/ an option for a 3rd rear camera too. Which imo would be awesome for track days (which is what I first thought when you described this setup )

Just my 2c, hth.

Thanks for the suggestion. My wife's car is a Macan and I'm done with track days in my Cayman... getting too old for racing!

Thanks for the suggestion. My wife's car is a Macan and I'm done with track days in my Cayman... getting too old for racing!
Too old for racing, maybe, but you're never too old for a couple of good hot laps on an hpde day or some gentleman's cup action (and being in the UK you have access to some "to die for" tracks imo).

I've had some great fun throwing a Cayenne Turbo around - maybe not the fastest laps but still fun af - and if that Cayman has 3 pedals in it then you are SO out of excuses!

The Macan S is an amazing vehicle.
2 tonnes, but you can throw it around like a hatchback yet it's super comfortable too.
Can't touch the Cayman 981 (PDK) for ultimate fun though. Did a half day at Silverstone soon after buying it. PDK is of course faster than a manual. Plus, both hands on steering wheel!

Yeah some of them Porsches seem to defy Sir Albert Newton's laws.
Not sure if the Cayenne was a pdk or not (a while ago, I think it was a '15 or so) but it was pretty slick. Rowing your own is just more fun but either way it's a blast.

A full layout day at Silverstone would be a dream day. Or Donnington or especially Oulton for that matter!
Sim and VR are as close as I can get rn :cool:

Back