Cam turns on, buttons don't work.

bogchop

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all. As the title says, my A119s turns on, but the buttons don't work. No recording either. I've tried resetting the unit by putting a pin in the R hole, but doesn't change anything. Picture is still visible, but buttons don't do anything. Still hearing the digital clicks.

Any suggestions? Cheers.

Checked the memory card?
Actually happened when I put a new one in. Put the old one back, and no different.

Both cards appear fine in the card reader on my pc.

To clarify, had a 64gb Sandisk in there.

Unit was off, put in the new 128gb Samsung Evo plus. Unit turned on, said to format card. So I did that. Then had a look, saw it wasn't recording. Turned unit on/off again, and realised nothing was working button wise. Display still on and working fine.

What power supply are you using? Some 3rd party ones are right on the edge of being under-powered and will fail in a similar way after a change event. Be sure to update or re-flash to the latest firmware as well.

Last edited:
What power supply are you using? Some 3rd party ones are right on the edge of being under-powered and will fail in a similar way after a change event.
Using the one that came with it. Cigarette port lighter with 2 USB sticks.

Ok so on closer inspection, there's a bunch of black boxes with crosses on them at the bottom of the display. Any idea what this means? Mass storage issue?

I started experiencing this today as well with the A119 that I got just three weeks ago. Even though I have a 3 minute loop recording set, it showed that it had stopped at 8:34 in the top right corner of the display. After attempting to reformat, it showed 11:11 and the buttons stopped working.

I found a support thread on the viofo site regarding this. Not sure what the hell has happened! Everyone seems to have copped it in the last week or so.

Thanks, but that's for the A119. Don't want To be a guinea pig for the a119s using a loader built for that model!

Thanks, but that's for the A119. Don't want To be a guinea pig for the a119s using a loader built for that model!
Oops, sorry. It's in one of these threads somewhere. V1.01 I think.

Oops, sorry. It's in one of these threads somewhere. V1.01 I think.
Yep already found it, same version I'm running. However, need a loader for the A119S. Haven't discovered a link for that. Half way there!

I was referring to the link. My dash cam stopped working this morning and I'll have to wait until I get home to attempt a fix. Looks like I'll have to put together an instruction sheet for myself if it's going to do this very often.

I can confirm that reloading the firmware fixes the issue. Popped it into the SD card, connected the device to a PC and waited for the firmware flash to take place from storage mode.

Also needed to reset to default settings, otherwise it sent the unit into a reboot loop - it would power on, maybe for 15 seconds it would record and then power cycle.

All is right with the world again. However, this may happen again. @viofo please take note and help permanently fix this - thank you!

Last edited:
Some additional notes for @viofo developers:
When it stops recording, I have gone into the menu to try reformatting. Most times, it 'finishes' very quickly like it did nothing. Then, when I exit from the menu, all of the buttons stop working unless I power it off and back on again. After that cycle, the cam will sometimes start up normally until it gets to a little before or after the 3 minute mark (I set a 3 minute cycle). Then, it starts beeping, stops recording, displays that it is around the 8 1/2 minute mark in the recording on the top right of the display and refuses to record again.

Reactions: Mtz
Back