Cam turns on, buttons don't work.

Seems everyone experiencing the same problem at the same time ;)
Originally I have FW 1.0. Do you think flashing it with 1.0.1 will help? Should I try that or rather use warranty policy instead?

Answer is up above. Reflash your firmware using 1.01, then make sure you reset your camera defaults. Will fix it.

the thing to monitor now is....... is this problem a one time thing(only happens when changing the microSD card)..... or will it reoccur with no changes done to the camera.....

After readying all these posts it only confirms the A119S was not ready for Prime Time. Firmware is buggy. As others have reported the same thing happened to me today. It been working great for the last two weeks then... it gives me the message I need to format the card ..it gave me two options, OK or Cancel. I selected okay and everything went to hell. Immediately after formatting a row of little in boxes with "X"s appears across the bottom of the camera's in the filed of view and no status bar. None of the buttons respond. Tried formatting the card again, no luck. Tried selecting "Default Settings" then went thought the process of resetting everything to my liking (date, time, beeps, screensaver etc) ... still no joy. :mad:
Luckily I found this tread.
I downloaded the firmware ver A119S_161216_V1.01 >found here< (even though it was the same version already on the camera).
Followed the Firmware update instructions... then reset the camera back to the Default Settings (again)
All is good again... until the next time... grrrr
I sure hope VIOFO comes out with a firmware update real soon... (Hopefully they are not ignoring this problem

After readying all these posts it only confirms the A119S was not ready for Prime Time. Firmware is buggy. As others have reported the same thing happened to me today. It been working great for the last two weeks then... it gives me the message I need to format the card ..it gave me two options, OK or Cancel. I selected okay and everything went to hell. Immediately after formatting a row of little in boxes with "X"s appears across the bottom of the camera's in the filed of view and no status bar. None of the buttons respond. Tried formatting the card again, no luck. Tried selecting "Default Settings" then went thought the process of resetting everything to my liking (date, time, beeps, screensaver etc) ... still no joy. :mad:
Luckily I found this tread.
I downloaded the firmware ver A119S_161216_V1.01 >found here< (even though it was the same version already on the camera).
Followed the Firmware update instructions... then reset the camera back to the Default Settings (again)
All is good again... until the next time... grrrr
I sure hope VIOFO comes out with a firmware update real soon... (Hopefully they are not ignoring this problem
@viofo many problems with the A119S Can you let us know if you are aware of all this and if you expect a firmware fix in the near future.

Greetings all. I too have experienced this issue and posted about it on Reddit. You can find my post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/5v1hw4/a119s_problem_freezing_a_few_seconds_after/

I ended up buying a 2nd A119s for a another vehicle and had the perfect opportunity to confirm if this was camera or SD related. When purchasing the 2nd camera I also picked up 2 new Transcend Ultra 32GB cards (to rule out faulty SD's I may have been using). Starting with a newly formatted Transcend SD card, I placed it in the dysfunctional camera... immediately the camera powered on to the same issue (frozen with X's and no button use). I tested the same SD card in the brand new A119s camera and it functioned perfectly. I tested these with 12v power sources as well as regular outlet power. I also tested with my previous Samsung SD cards and they worked fine. This issue has nothing to do with which micro USB port is used nor does it have anything to do with the GPS pins. I believe this is a software glitch in the camera unit itself. Unfortunately, I already requested a refund from OCD Tronic prior to seeing the newly released firmware specifically for the A119S, so I was unable to test if that firmware would correct the issue. Due to the freezing, however, I was never able to get .bin files to update on the camera anyway. The firmware installed correctly without issue on the new camera as of 02/23/17.

TLDR: Exchange your A119s and immediately install latest firmware prior to first use of new camera.

Back