camera info & guidance

malcolmsmill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll soon get a dashcam

but can anyone answer a couple (of many) question?

I expect it to record 24/7 NOT on a sensor activated short loop

what sort of power drain can I expect? (it will be permanently connected to an external battery)

does anyone know of camera(s) that can record to SSD instead of SD?

I'll soon get a dashcam

I expect it to record 24/7 NOT on a sensor activated short loop

does anyone know of camera(s) that can record to SSD instead of SD?
I don't think such a camera exists and if it does, it's not a dashcam. Recording 24/7 completely defeats the purpose of dashcams.

Recording 24/7 completely defeats the purpose of dashcams.
2nd I tried it and it is not worth the hassle.
There is battery drain, hitting a cards limit per file size if you don't loop. (i think it is 4GB per file), and having to park in a decently lit area even with HDR.

If you want something 24 hour no loop you should look into an HD IP camera. D-Link makes a few. I have i think it is the DCS-2230 and it works great.

It's best to use the cyclic segment recordings as designed. There will be zero gaps between clips. You can seamlessly view the entire collection of video files in one timeline via

Http://DataKam.com/download
Or
Http://DashCamViewer.com
(And easily export the section you want to keep)

There is no reason the recording needs to be one file. That's also riskier for corruption.

But still it'll only record up to the max 4GB per file limit, won't it?
If you want to record 24/7 then you need to leave it on loop record and make sure you have a memory card large enough to hold enough video to last between your checks on the car.

My mini 0806 will record continuously looping around a 64GB memory card every 2.5 days with this quality:

2560x1080%20Normal.jpg

...and you can use larger cards, only problem is that if you want to record decent quality while driving then you need to change to a higher quality mode and the best quality mode loops every 5 hours.

Battery drain is about 200 milliamps at 12 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you quoting me? I'm not the one who wanted such a camera. :D

Back