Camera not storing files

Paul Schmehl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO (front cam only)
I bought an SG9663DC a while ago (front camera only) and had it professionally installed. Since I'm retired, I don't drive much, and most of our trips are short - to the doctor's, the hairstylist, grocery store, etc. When I start the car, the camera beeps so I have the comfort of knowing that it's on and recording. Or so I thought. For some crazy reason, I decided to check it today. I discovered that there are no files stored on the SD card. (IIRC it was a 68GB card I bought with the camera.) I'm sure it's some setting that I have forgotten to enable. If the camera is in record mode, is the light on the REC button flashing? Or lit solid? What else should I check?

When I initially set up the camera, I configured everything the way that I wanted it. So I doubt any of the usual settings (fps, etc.) are incorrect.

Sounds like a faulty SD card. Are you sure the SD card is genuine? A lot of fakes are sold online. Either way, I'd start with the SD card being bad or incompatible.

@jokiin will be the proper person to contact.

@HonestReview, I bought the SD card from Street Guardian when I bought the camera. (That doesn't mean it isn't defective, just that it's likely not a cheapo.)

There are four videos on the card, dated 3/18/2020 and 3/20/2020. I viewed two of them, and the look fine. So I suspect the card is OK, but can format it to make sure.

@jokiin, I'll have to check those things. It was set up to use the GPS, and I know the time/date was set correctly initially. But it's been more than a year since I last even looked at it. I assumed it was working fine, and I'd be able to get the video if I needed them.

OK. Time and date were correct. I formatted the SD card. I'll check it tomorrow after we drive to the pharmacy.

Last edited:
@HonestReview, I bought the SD card from Street Guardian when I bought the camera. (That doesn't mean it isn't defective, just that it's likely not a cheapo.)

There are four videos on the card, dated 3/18/2020 and 3/20/2020. I viewed two of them, and the look fine. So I suspect the card is OK, but can format it to make sure.

@jokiin, I'll have to check those things. It was set up to use the GPS, and I know the time/date was set correctly initially. But it's been more than a year since I last even looked at it. I assumed it was working fine, and I'd be able to get the video if I needed them.

Try formatting the card, just to be sure. I suggest doing an overwrite format with SDCardFormatter: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Also, check your settings per @jokiin . Generally though, I would imagine a camera is suppose to record automatically.

Is the camera hardwired or what is the power source?

Last edited:

formatting the card is always a good idea, if we supplied the card then it is genuine

Well at least you have not just had a event and found out.
We need to be careful with our cameras, and not have too much trust in them, even if they are a reputable brand and even if things are getting better by the year.

@HonestReview, yes the camera is hardwired.

@jokiin, I forgot to check the firmware, but it's whatever came with the camera. I'm sure you've made updates since I bought it. But how do I apply them?

UPDATE: Firmware version is DCPRO191023V1.18

Last edited:

@jokiin, I forgot to check the firmware, but it's whatever came with the camera. I'm sure you've made updates since I bought it. But how do I apply them?
let me know which version it's on and will give you details accordingly

It is easy to update a camera firmware.
1. you download the correct one for your model
2. you might need to unzip it to get to the actual firmware file.
3: the firmware file have a name and end with .bin, this file you put on a empty memory card, then put it in the camera and then turn on the car, the LED light on the camera will flash rapid for some seconds, then the camera will reboot with the new firmware.
4 you then need to do your settings again, so time zone at least ( + / - whatever DTS your location have ATM )
With SG firmware's there is a read me text file on what to do also.

ok, it will be V1.16 (there's no V1.18 yet), there is a newer version which you can download from here https://bit.ly/SG9663DCPROfirmwareV1-17 instruction are included with the download but ask away if any questions

Well at least you have not just had a event and found out.
We need to be careful with our cameras, and not have too much trust in them, even if they are a reputable brand and even if things are getting better by the year.
Exactly why I thought, "I should check the camera to make sure it's still working OK." Imagine my surprise when I found there were very few files and nothing past March of last year.

Exactly why I thought, "I should check the camera to make sure it's still working OK." Imagine my surprise when I found there were very few files and nothing past March of last year.
that's why checking the system date is important also, we've had people previously tell us about how their camera hasn't recorded for a year only for them to come back and tell us the date was wrong and they were actually looking at current files with the wrong date on them and they didn't put two and two together, we've had this from people that don't use the GPS that didn't drive their vehicles for extended periods during lockdown, the date had reset through lack of use and didn't update due to no GPS connected (that's why I asked earlier if you were using GPS)

I forgot to check the firmware, but it's whatever came with the camera. I'm sure you've made updates since I bought it. But how do I apply them?

If you decide to install new firmware, be sure to use the 32 GB SD card that came with your camera. If you load the firmware onto a high capacity card the camera might not be able to read it when going through the update process (it's a different process than recording video). I don't know how large is too large but I know that when I tried to update the firmware on my cam with my 256 GB SD card it wouldn't work. When I copied the firmware update to my 32 GB card the camera installed it correctly.

If you decide to install new firmware, be sure to use the 32 GB SD card that came with your camera. If you load the firmware onto a high capacity card the camera might not be able to read it when going through the update process (it's a different process than recording video). I don't know how large is too large but I know that when I tried to update the firmware on my cam with my 256 GB SD card it wouldn't work. When I copied the firmware update to my 32 GB card the camera installed it correctly.
providing the card is formatted in the camera first it will still load firmware from large cards

of course, there is no option in any of our cameras to disable automatic recording

And if it wasn't recording because card needed formatted, does your camera continuously beep? If so, then we know the card itself must be formatted since OP isn't reporting this issue.

So my guess, he needs to do a zero wipe and format on card, then see what happens thereafter. Cards often need formatted every few months anyway to keep them in good working order.

Back