can Garmin Dash Cam 47 record and save the video 24/7

gurayd9

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hi guys, I have a Garmin Dash Cam 47. I could not find a way to save the video all the time. the video is only saved either by collision or pressing the save button. I have another dashcam that can save the video all the time. Does anyone have any info? thanks.

Do you mean parking mode?

well yes if you keep it powered all the time, it will, at least until your car battery are empty.

If you do things like that ( parking guard ) you should use a proper hard wire kit that allow for low voltage cut off, CUZ a car battery do not like deep discharge, and also not starting a car in Canada in winter if it is just 10 volts on the battery.
Rule of thumb say do not go under 12.2 vilts for low voltage cut off, or you will start to see increased battery wear.

Alternative you can get a dedicated dashcam battery pack, these cost about 200 USD or so, these have a build in cut off to protect its own batteries.

Some have also in a pinch used a USB power bank to make the camera record all the time, problem is, this is regular footage so use the MAX power and generate the MAX heat, so not a good thing in the summer.
Also USB power banks are often regular lipo batteries, not good with very low or high temperatures ( see lipo battery fire on youtube )
Also if you do that, well the people that do often have 2 power banks so while one are in use they can charge the other at home.

Parking guard in the conventional way with a hard wire kit, well the duration depend on the size and state of your car battery, and you will not get days with parking guard and then only drive 30 minutes every 2 - 3 day,,, things have to level out, so what you loose of power being parked, you of course have to gain while driving and charging your battery again.

If you use parking guard say 8 hours while you work, and then at home say 10 hours before you go to work again, well you at the very least have to drive for 1 hour every day, as fortunatly a car battery charge way faster than a dashcam discharge.
BUT ! ends have to meet some way.

Also using parking guard, well you need light where you are parked to see anything, at least a street light, and then there are all the things that can fall on your windscreen, making the camera record nothing.

I personaly use low bitrate that record all the time when parked but with low bitrate making for smaller files and less heat generated, BUT ! i only do that for 3 hours on the timer in the camera.

well yes if you keep it powered all the time, it will, at least until your car battery are empty.

If you do things like that ( parking guard ) you should use a proper hard wire kit that allow for low voltage cut off, CUZ a car battery do not like deep discharge, and also not starting a car in Canada in winter if it is just 10 volts on the battery.
Rule of thumb say do not go under 12.2 vilts for low voltage cut off, or you will start to see increased battery wear.

Alternative you can get a dedicated dashcam battery pack, these cost about 200 USD or so, these have a build in cut off to protect its own batteries.

Some have also in a pinch used a USB power bank to make the camera record all the time, problem is, this is regular footage so use the MAX power and generate the MAX heat, so not a good thing in the summer.
Also USB power banks are often regular lipo batteries, not good with very low or high temperatures ( see lipo battery fire on youtube )
Also if you do that, well the people that do often have 2 power banks so while one are in use they can charge the other at home.

Parking guard in the conventional way with a hard wire kit, well the duration depend on the size and state of your car battery, and you will not get days with parking guard and then only drive 30 minutes every 2 - 3 day,,, things have to level out, so what you loose of power being parked, you of course have to gain while driving and charging your battery again.

If you use parking guard say 8 hours while you work, and then at home say 10 hours before you go to work again, well you at the very least have to drive for 1 hour every day, as fortunatly a car battery charge way faster than a dashcam discharge.
BUT ! ends have to meet some way.

Also using parking guard, well you need light where you are parked to see anything, at least a street light, and then there are all the things that can fall on your windscreen, making the camera record nothing.

I personaly use low bitrate that record all the time when parked but with low bitrate making for smaller files and less heat generated, BUT ! i only do that for 3 hours on the timer in the camera.

Hi do you have Garmin dashcam 47? The thing is that, I have powerbank that I use for the dashcam when I leave in parking mode. But when I check the dashcam using the app, i can't see the video on the dashcam. It save the video only collision happen. I have rove dashcam and it records and save the video all the time.

No i have no personal experienced with any of the Garmin systems, Lacibaci above are the resident Garmin expert.
Have you enabled parking guard ?

Many modern cameras today support 2 ways of parking guard, either the "normal " one which are using a 3 wire hard wire kit, Here the change to / from parking guard are handled by the +12 V ACC wire.
But often 2 wire are also supported, in that case the camera must be on a always on circuit and it then change to parking guard after some / a few minutes of no activity seem by the G-sensor.

Of course leaving your camera on a circuit that are always on, without any low voltage protection found in hard wire kits, well then you risk ruining your car battery as they are not made for deep discharge, the rule of thumb say best to keep a car battery at 12.2 volts or more.

When you browse for parking guard files, they might be in another folder than the regular recordings are in, many other brands call this folder RO ( Read Only ) some might also call that foldet Event.

Hi do you have Garmin dashcam 47? The thing is that, I have powerbank that I use for the dashcam when I leave in parking mode. But when I check the dashcam using the app, i can't see the video on the dashcam. It save the video only collision happen. I have rove dashcam and it records and save the video all the time.
In parking mode the camera will record only when an impact is detected. If you want it to record continuously, don't let it switch to the parking mode. I don't know how long it will record as this is not what it was designed for.

Back