Can i power a dashcam via 12 volts 2 ampere ac dc adaptor?

Rekemrekem

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Can i power a dashcam with a 12 volts ac dc 2 ampere adaptor. I would solder or wired the tip of the cigarette plug into the positive into the + 12 volts the adaptor and also solder via wire the metallic connector on the side of the cigarette plug into the -12 volts of the adaptor. Will this work and not destroy my dashcam?4747947480

Depends on what sort of dashcam it is. For most dashcams it would be much easier to use a USB charger.

Depends on what sort of dashcam it is. For most dashcams it would be much easier to use a USB charger.
But it doesn't matters if it's easy or hard. So lets get the idea that i wired it successfully. (The tip of the cigarette plug connected to the + of the 12 volts 2 ampere AC/DC adaptor and the connector on the side of the cigarette plug soldered by wire to the -12 volts of the adaptor. )
Provided i get it done right, my question is... Is this configuration applicable to the dashcam, will it work using adaptor or are dashcams only to be used via car battery. ?

Yes, it should work.

It should be 0 volts and +12 volts, if you actually have -12 volts then that is not good, but the adaptor in your picture looks OK.

Normally it is very difficult to solder to those plugs because the tip and side connections are chrome plated, you will need to sand/grind off the plating to reveal the copper before you can solder. Probably easier to open the plug and solder to the wires that go to the tip/sides.

The cable that comes out of that plug is normally at 5 volts, you must not connect the 12 volts to the 5 volt cable.

From my experience it will be much better to do as Nigel says- solder to the PCB points inside. Very easy to melt the plastic case trying it externally.

Phil

Yes, it should work.

It should be 0 volts and +12 volts, if you actually have -12 volts then that is not good, but the adaptor in your picture looks OK.

Normally it is very difficult to solder to those plugs because the tip and side connections are chrome plated, you will need to sand/grind off the plating to reveal the copper before you can solder. Probably easier to open the plug and solder to the wires that go to the tip/sides.

The cable that comes out of that plug is normally at 5 volts, you must not connect the 12 volts to the 5 volt cable.
Thank you so much for your confirmation that it should work. I really dont have much experience about dashcams but i know some electronics. Yes ill connect the 12 volts at the input of the plug or before the regulator for most plugs contains regulator circuits .

hi all where can I buy a Blackvue Cigarette Lighter Power Cable for Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112) (BCL-1) and Blackvue Cigarette Lighter Socket for Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112) (BSC-1) in the uk as all I have found is ones from America many thanks

Thank you so much for your confirmation that it should work. I really dont have much experience about dashcams but i know some electronics. Yes ill connect the 12 volts at the input of the plug or before the regulator for most plugs contains regulator circuits .

I too think a USB charger would be a better way to go here but if you really want to hard wire your 12V cigarette lighter adapter to your car's electrical system, soldering directly to the contacts on the plug is not a good method. A better approach would be to hardwire a female cigarette lighter receptacle to your car's 12V system and then plug your 12V adapter into it.

plug.jpg

Back