Can you unlock your door lock manually? If not, it could be dangerous.

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
If it's electric only, you maybe in danger.
Both my cars have electric door locks but can open manually as well from inside.

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/11/elderly-man-dog-die-because-car-doors-wouldnt-unlock/

PORT ARTHUR, Texas — A Texas man and his dog died after they became trapped inside the man’s car because the doors wouldn’t unlock.
Port Arthur police officials told KBMT that James Rogers, 72, was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia.

man-and-dog-die1.jpg

The door locks in the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette are completely electric, and officers say it appears the battery cable came loose while the two were inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock. (Note: Isn't that a safety hazard??? What kind of dumb design is that?)
The fire department was called and it had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT. When firefighters finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead.
Authorities said there is evidence the man struggled to get out of the car before he died. :eek:
Officials said his death was likely a result of the heat.
The victim was not able to call for help because he accidentally left his cellphone at a Waffle House.
Corvette experts said there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it. The release is usually located on the left side of the floorboard by the driver and the right side by the passenger. However, many people say the lever is difficult to see.

Maybe he'd be alive if he had one of these in the car:
41bXdori84L._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
Those owners should consider buying one of those cheap glass break hammer/flashlight or something similar and keep it in the car.

KuoH

Those owners should consider buying one of those cheap glass break hammer/flashlight or something similar and keep it in the car.

KuoH
Yes, I was adding that to the post. ;)

autozone and etc won't sell those in texas and other states on the rationale that they can also be used to break IN to a car, not just out. but you can still buy automatic centerpunches and hammers (not to mention bricks) at any hardware store... logic fail. :rolleyes:

Interesting, I happened to order one of those tools from Amazon today. I have interior door releases but figure the power windows might be a problem in an emergency.

Good thing there aren't rocks laying around that people could just pick up and use. I wonder why they're willing to still sell spark plugs? It's much easier to hide a bunch of little fragments you could easily toss inconspicuously compared to a hammer.

KuoH

autozone and etc won't sell those in texas and other states on the rationale that they can also be used to break IN to a car, not just out. but you can still buy automatic centerpunches and hammers (not to mention bricks) at any hardware store... logic fail. :rolleyes:

Interesting, I happened to order one of those tools from Amazon today. I have interior door releases but figure the power windows might be a problem in an emergency.
mythbusters did a couple of specials on how to get out of a car that just went into a bunch of water. i'm sure theyre on youtube if not the discovery website. they tested these glass break tools (spoiler - they work!) but they also tested rolling down power windows in a big tank of water and it worked just fine. obviously there are other situations where they won't, like a crash that stops the engine and smashes the battery and/or fusebox, so these do have a place. not to mention the belt cutters most also have, especially with the pretensioner belts most cars have that work together with the airbags, but can make you feel trapped since they lock the belt in place...

they also tested rolling down power windows in a big tank of water and it worked just fine.

I thought they said power windows wouldn't open in a submerged car due to the pressure.

Edit- "Though more powerful, power windows still cannot overcome the pressure differential.
Contrary to popular belief, though, power windows can withstand immersion in fresh water for prolonged periods and still function. The electricity does not short out immediately."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2007_season)

Last edited:
It's the door that is unable to be opened due to the external pressure. Power and manual windows do experience some additional pressure against the frame, but unless it is distorted or the mechanism was damaged in the crash, they should roll down without much difficulty.

KuoH

I thought they said power windows wouldn't open in a submerged car due to the pressure.

Edit- "Though more powerful, power windows still cannot overcome the pressure differential.

It's the door that is unable to be opened due to the external pressure. Power and manual windows do experience some additional pressure against the frame, but unless it is distorted or the mechanism was damaged in the crash, they should roll down without much difficulty.

KuoH
That's not what they said on the episode. However at the time I didn't think their test with the weight on the glass accurately recreated a real life situation.

Technology is wonderful until it breaks. My 30+ year old van windows work manually, but they still work very well. I get a chuckle when I'm at a drive-through window and see much newer cars (including expensive ones) where they have to open the door to order and get their food because their power windows don't work :p And they all seem to think that I'm the one driving a piece of junk when it's actually them :confused:

Saw on the news last night where a Cop couldn't break a car window to save a man from the fire until he got a huge flashlight from his car and swung it like a baseball bat. Glass is incredibly strong unless you know where it's weak points are, then it takes very little force to break it.

Phil

If you like designer stuff, Victorinox makes a rescue tool with glass punch thing, and a seat belt cutter, but think it would take more effort to break the glass than a big Maglite. (Have both in my pickup)

10126944.jpg

Back