[Canada] the death of our beloved duramax

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes

ow.

near the end you can hear the other guy say it was "totally my fault".

for those outside north america, the chevy duramax diesel 2500 is NOT a small truck. so this was a pretty big hit.

SteveO2.jpg

Why you should not drive a camouflage coloured car at high speed with no lights on?

Doesn't matter how big the vehicle, they all seem to be made from the same tinfoil (aluminum foil) mounted to an umbrella.
All designed to fold like a house of cards at the slightest touch - whilst the passenger compartment remains intact.

Last edited:
That would do it :eek:

That's a bad stretch of road even in the summer.

Wow, so civilised about it. Those Canadians!

Unbelievably reckless driving by the other guy though. As mentioned in the YT description and comments, he was using a hand-held phone and blew a stop sign without looking at all. Bad enough at any time, but when you have a trailer?!?!

Speaking of the trailer. That probably would have been a better target.

It is amazing how distracting these phone things can be, still hasn't seen or heard anything at 1 frame to impact:

Ram.jpg

But he must have looked or he would have driven into the trees instead of turning the corner, problem is that he looked into the sun at a dark coloured truck on a dark coloured road with a lot of bright snow either side of the road and a lot of bright snow covering the truck (you see a load of snow fly off the roof on impact), he simply didn't see the camouflaged truck coming. Both sides should take some responsibility both for causing the accident and for not avoiding it once the mistake had been made.

Why does the clock stop on impact? I know it always does in detective stories with old mechanical clocks and watches...

The Ram driver sounds like he just hopped out of his truck totally unaffected by the impact, and it only took him 13 seconds from the end of the impact to start apologising as though it was just the next phone call, I wonder if he completed his other call first?

Both sides should take some responsibility both for causing the accident and for not avoiding it once the mistake had been made.

only thing the guy driving straight down the road was guilty of was buying a car that was close to the colour of the road which made it less obvious, responsibility for contributing to the accident, not a chance, 100% the guy pulling out at fault

Why you should not drive a camouflage coloured car at high speed with no lights on?

All vehicles sold in Canada since the 90's have had mandatory daytime running lights that can't be turned off, so I can guarantee you the Duramax had his lights on.

Wow, so civilised about it. Those Canadians!

Unbelievably reckless driving by the other guy though. As mentioned in the YT description and comments, he was using a hand-held phone and blew a stop sign without looking at all. Bad enough at any time, but when you have a trailer?!?!
See too many people dragging trailers around who seem to think that their car can still pull away like it's a lambo.
Knowing nothing about those pickups, IF it's got a manual box & since the guy is on the phone, I wonder if he simply tried to pull out in the wrong gear - coming up to the junction in 4th, hoping he's got enough grunt under the bonnet to keep the thing moving, he can't steer, change gear AND hold a mobile ?

mind you, even an auto box would struggle with the downshift, pulling away AND hauling a heavy trailer.

Speaking of the trailer. That probably would have been a better target.

Not a chance. You slam into such a huge trailer & your vehicle is totalled. the other guy, realising he's 100% to blame, sees you can't follow so removes the rear plate off the trailer, unhooks & drives away. At least this way, his insurance will see the footage, see that he is a tool & refuse to cover his repair costs (or slam his premiums for the rest of eternity.

only thing the guy driving straight down the road was guilty of was buying a car that was close to the colour of the road which made it less obvious, responsibility for contributing to the accident, not a chance, 100% the guy pulling out at fault
TBH, it doesn't really matter what colour the vehicle, coming out of the sun, everything looks black - although DRLs do a fantastic job of showing something is there - but only for those who actually stop long enough to look.

I wonder if he was eating lunch too? Yellow McDonalds wrapper?
Map?
Maybe the guy is in construction or similar - looking at plans/quotes for his next job?

I can't help wondering why cam guy was having such a hard time staying in lane? Those yellow lines move all around across the front of his motor.
I'd also be hard on the brakes as well, hoping the abs does a good job - but it appears that this guy barely seems to slow down?

I can't help wondering why cam guy was having such a hard time staying in lane? Those yellow lines move all around across the front of his motor.
I'd also be hard on the brakes as well, hoping the abs does a good job - but it appears that this guy barely seems to slow down?

I thought the same but it's also possible just the position of the camera makes it look like it's further over than it actually is, not always easy to tell

He does say in the YT comments that it was highly modified and he doesn't expect the insurance to cover all the modifications. Quite likely it was on raised suspension with huge tires that ruined the steering, maybe it was genuinely hard to keep in lane near the speed limit.

As for the braking, during the first second he moves completely out of lane to the left, quite possible the ABS removed most of the braking to avoid getting into a spin, the road surface out of lane doesn't look very grippy, maybe has slippery salt or grit on it. Also the brakes were probably cold since it is obviously cold weather so maybe the brake pads were not at operating temperature and needed a second or two to warm up, especially if they were performance ones intended for warm weather. Might also have a big trailer behind, maybe that is what pushed him out of lane.

For insurance purposes, yes it goes 100% to the guy pulling out, but if you want to prevent yourself getting into that situation, the guy pulling out made a mistake and having made it there was not much he could do, the cam truck driver could have done several things which would probably have avoided the accident, including being more visible and slowing down a bit when passing side roads with traffic in, but by the time he reacted at 2 seconds to impact it was too late.

See too many people dragging trailers around who seem to think that their car can still pull away like it's a lambo.
Knowing nothing about those pickups, IF it's got a manual box & since the guy is on the phone, I wonder if he simply tried to pull out in the wrong gear - coming up to the junction in 4th, hoping he's got enough grunt under the bonnet to keep the thing moving, he can't steer, change gear AND hold a mobile ?

mind you, even an auto box would struggle with the downshift, pulling away AND hauling a heavy trailer.
as far as i know, the dodge ram 1500 with the v8 was never available with a manual gearbox. it might not even be a 4wd based on the markings on the side, which means if there was ice at the intersection, he would have pulled out even slower since he had no traction.

Back