Canadian Tire "Reload" brand - who is the OEM?

Update: The menus and button layout look very similar to Aukey models. But I don't know if this is just from software that many brands use. The specs don't match any Aukey model that I've looked at.

Novatek is a very popular platform. It's not my field of expertise but as I understand it their SDK is easy to work with including 'defaults' which make developing a good camera easy, so many cams using the 96663 processor will be very similar. Quite the norm in China to 'borrow' design ideas from successful products, so cases and PCB layouts can be very similar too. Rebranding (badge engineering) is very common with all Chinese electronics.

My thoughts are that if you want an Aukey (or any particular brand) it's something of a gamble to buy a similar cam. The 'clone' might be a lesser build quality or have a low-quality lens or be made with cheaper ancillary components. Then again you might get a great cam fully equal to the original- I've had that kind of luck once. I hope someone with more direct knowledge of this cam chimes in here for you but getting specific info (especially on newer products) may not be easy as few people outside of China know which factory builds what cam, and what is inside of it.

Phil

I own the "Reload" 035-0189-0 clone camera in the link. C$ 150 for a dual-camera rig was a good price. It's missing features I would have liked, but I'll forgive it for the price.

I'm mostly interested in knowing the OEM so I can follow for compatible firmware updates, known issues & fixes, and deciding if this is a brand I like / hate for future dashcams.

I understand that completely. But with few exceptions you can't go by brand names to know they will all be from the same manufacturer. Radio Shack was well-known for their rebranded very similar products being made by different companies. Rigid tools did the same at one time- I discovered that while being a a beta-tester for them speaking with their engineers. That flabbergasted me as one of their factories is nearby and everyone everywhere thought all their stuff was self-built. Since then I've found the practice a very common one with all kinds of products and brands.

Enough jabbering from me- good luck with this and hopes for you finding the answers you seek (y)

Phil

I'm mostly interested in knowing the OEM so I can follow for compatible firmware updates, known issues & fixes, and deciding if this is a brand I like / hate for future dashcams.
you'll only get an update if canadian tire release one, the same spec camera is not used by anyone else at this time

Which translated to CanaDanish mean it is probably as good as it get now. :)

Back