Can't make up my mind! :)

terobaje

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I stepped into the dash cam world with a Blueskysea B1W but returned it within 3-4 days. Videos were overexposed and sharpness was a bit too much. I exchanged it for an Aukey DR02. It is much better than B1W; however, I still feel that I can do better (in terms of video smoothness, license plate readability, etc.). So, now I am thinking of going with a Viofo A119 V2. What do you guys say? Is A119 V2 really worth the extra $44? I got the DR02 for $52 on sale and A119 V2 is going for about $96 with GPS.

I bought an A199 a few weeks ago after disappointment with2 other brands, I am happy with support Viofo give. The firmware is easy and regularly updated. If the image quality does not suit your requirements there are modifications available at this link: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-modified-firmware-mods-archive.35602/ You may find the quality of the image out of the box may suit you. Please bear in mind the limitation of Video and all the lighting dark to light that the dash cam has to deal with. Number plates are not always visible due to very bright sunlight/headlights and speed etc. but the Viofo does quite well with these limitations, better than some I have tried.

I have been very pleased since I tried the mods especially mod 5F. You will find the DCteam members in this forum will do what they can to help.

Last edited:
I still feel that I can do better (in terms of video smoothness, license plate readability, etc.). So, now I am thinking of going with a Viofo A119 V2. What do you guys say? Is A119 V2 really worth the extra $44? I got the DR02 for $52 on sale and A119 V2 is going for about $96 with GPS.
I have both an A119 (2ys+) and an A119S (1.5yrs+) humming along nicely and I like both, but favor the A119S because I like its day image and its, no doubt about it, superior night (low light) capability. The A119S has max resolution at 1080P 60fps versus 1440P 30fps for the A119, but the A119S uses the, in my opinion, better Sony imx291 sensor. Viofo also chose the imx291 as the sensor for its newest dashcam, the A129. The A119S has had its fair share of problems with complaints about image quality, screen freeze, and power problems. The A119 seems to have faired slightly better in this respect but neither is "set it and forget it". Most of the A119 series problems have proven to be fixable if the owner aggressively pursues a solution here on DCT (dashcamtalk.com) or with the seller and manufacturer. Only a very few A119 series dashcams have so far been reported here to have outright irreversibly died. Both are fairly mature cameras now and Viofo continues to support both with firmware updates. GPS is IMO mandatory to keep the Date/time clock updated and with it you may never have to manually set Date/Time again.

There are tons of posts and threads on the A119 series here in DCT to help you along your way, including many comparison videos. Support is good as there are a few manufacturers, vendors, and enthusiasts that are members of DCT and offer assistance to users that need help. It is important to find a seller that is known to provide good support in the event of a problem.

Thank you all for your feedback. I ended up getting a A119 V2 with GPS and CPL. I'm running a modded firmware and so far it has been good. :)

There as been a few more mods released since the 5 series such as 7pd,7pe I personally have started using 7Pe. Which mods have tried?

Back