Car insurance discounts?

My insurance is up for renewal (in the UK) and I'll be looking into any discounts available, and whether they work out better than standard offers from other insurers.

Here's a few things I've found so far:
AXA Insurance Up to 10% discount, applies to new policy and renewals, might ask to see occasional footage to confirm it is working
Swiftcover Up to 10% discount (12.5% if it's a Nextbase model), applies to new policy and renewals, no checking up to see if it is working
RAC £30 discount, new policy only (not for renewals or existing customers), must buy an RAC dashcam
Adrian Flux Up to 15% discount, new policy and renewals, specific list of eligible cameras (my current Mobius and potential new SG cam are not on the list)

I've not started comparing quotes yet - I'll do that later this week.

@TonyM

I think if a discount is given they own your dashcam footage and if you can't/won't hand over footage after any incident your insurance could be void because you didn't adhere to the contracted agreement (even if a cam/card/power supply/user error causes a malfunction).

@TonyM

I think if a discount is given they own your dashcam footage and if you can't/won't hand over footage after any incident your insurance could be void because you didn't adhere to the contracted agreement (even if a cam/card/power supply/user error causes a malfunction).
Quote from one of the companies above: "If you’ve told us your car has a dashcam, you must, where possible, send us video evidence in the event of a car insurance claim, as it will help us to investigate it for you and could settle the claim faster in your favour. We may also very occasionally ask drivers with dashcams to send us a sample video to make sure that the dashcam is working correctly. Rest assured we won’t need to see videos from every trip – although you will need to make sure your dashcam records every journey to benefit from the discount."
There were only two references to dashcams in the sample policy wording,
1. "If the accident has been recorded by your dashboard camera you should let us have copies of the accident recording as soon as possible."
2. "What is covered - Loss of or damage to clothing and personal belongings (including dashboard cameras fitted to your car) caused by fire, theft, attempted theft or accident, while they are in your car."

It doesn't sound as though the insurance would become void if the driver cannot send in the video evidence, but the discount may very well be removed given that recordings of all journeys are not available.

As I said earlier, I've not gone into this in depth yet. There may be more specific terms in the actual policy (different to the sample policy) relating to dashcams and recorded footage. I'll call them and ask a few questions.

So AXA and Swiftcover did offer a 10% discount, but they were still more expensive than shopping around elsewhere. I'm not surprised, but figured it was worth checking as the price comparison websites don't have a section for declaring dashcam use.

Back