Car Jump Starter in Lieu of Cellink Battery?

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I'm about to purchase my first dashcam. Predominately (say, 90%) of the time, I plan on using it to record while the vehicle is moving, and will power it via a standard switched (ignition-powered) 12v cigarette receptacle.

Although the car is garaged every night I may have a need to use their parking mode every now and again and started researching (non-hardwire) power options. I'd come to the conclusion that the Cellink line is probably the best way to go. Of course nobody is enamored with paying $200-$300 for a smallish dedicated power source so it got me to thinking:

Two years ago I purchased a Jump 'n Carry JNC-770R portable car charger ("JNC-770R") for emergency jump-starts that has just been sitting in my trunk collecting dust (happily, I've never had the occasion to use it). However, I recalled it features several outlets to power accessories, not only a couple of USB outlets for cell phones or tablets, but -- as you see below -- a 12V cigarette receptacle for any accessories that use those connectors. The unit does not need to be turned on to supply power to the accessories; in that latter regard it merely mimics an unswitched (always-on) outlet in your car. BTW, the unit can be recharged at home to a standard AC outlet.

That said, would there be any reason why, instead of purchasing a Cellink or other dedicated dashcam battery with a 12v cigarette receptacle, why I can't put my JNC-770 to use on rare parking-mode only occasions? Thanks for your help. - Mike

71twS6tpzzL._SL1231_.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like it may work, only one way to really know for sure.
Assuming that it does, I figure the main downsides would be lugging it around and manually charging it.

You could always get an external battery solution later if it doesn't work or if you decide you want to use the parking mode all the time.
Another option would be hardwiring the Power Magic Pro and turning the parking mode off when you don't need to want use it/turning it on when you do.

Certainly; may as well try it (when I get my dashcam) and see.... The JNC-770R charger (the "770R") is always in my car anyway; HOPEFULLY I can fit it underneath the passenger seat (admittedly it is a little bulky as you can see). When I need it I can just unplug the cam from my car's switched outlet and plug it into the charger. At that point I can gauge how long it can run w/out depleting the charger. I just don't feel comfortable with a hard-wire situation (you know, the fuse box is in the trunk, I could pull out the wrong fuse, screw up my on-board electronics, etc. etc.). Otherwise as you mention, if this doesn't work out I can still get the dedicated Cellink (or other) dashcam battery. But really, since I've already GOT this spare battery (the 770R) with a 12v outlet, saving me $$$, well, slam dunk. So thank you for your input. When I have the results in a few weeks, I'll post here how it worked out -- it may help somebody else in similar circumstances (which is kinda what these forums are all about anyway). - Mike

Last edited:
Should work fine, it would be good to recharge it to full every time you use it, don't leave it 1/4 full for days otherwise the battery may die.

Maybe not the most convenient solution, but for occasional use it will be fine. I don't see what capacity it is, but given the weight it should last a fair time!

@DroMike For sure, Mike!
Hardwiring isn't as complicated as one might think, try to youtube Dashcam install on (your vehicle), never know if someones created a guide!
Let us know how it works out for you, would love to see video of you trying to put that beast under your seat!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks Nigel; and to you DashOtto: HAHA - "...that beast under [my] seat." Yup, I'm kind of looking forward myself to trying to stick it there when I get home from work tonight or this weekend. I have a '13 Chrysler 300S and am pretty sure there's some decent clearance underneath. I'm sure I can at least slide almost all of it in from the BACK side of the seat (thazwhashesaid!). I only need to have the top 5 inches or so showing that has the 12V outlet; and then I can place a little dark cloth atop those remaining inches to hide it from view. Where there's a will there's a way, right?. :)

Any update with this method? I also found my mom’s jump starter with similar specs. My concern with my jump starter though it’s lead acid. I gave my mom my cellink neo since she doesn’t like to use power bank (i.e. recharging it every night).

Coming. I got my dashcam (a BlackSys rather than BlackVue) in mid-May but went on a vacation and just recently returned, so haven't even installed the cam itself yet -- otherwise yes, I'm still planning on doing this.

I actually ran my Blackvue like this for Cloud Downloads in the evening until I installed my Cellink Neo, it works really well, but obviously you need to charge it manually, and leave it in the car in the footwell and remove it again before using the car, long term flattening of the battery pack regularly will reduce it's life eventually though!

As I (the OP) promised: Here are two photos to show my setup. They are both taken tonight from the back seat of my '13 Chrysler 300S.

1. The first photo shows the rear seat 12V switched outlet with the BlackSys CH-200 cig plug inserted (run under/beside the front seat). This provides power and recording while the ignition is switched on and while I am driving. Note that the JNC-770R is underneath the OEM floor mat, more or less hidden in the darkness of the floorboard.

2. The second photo shows the JNC-770R with the mat turned up and the BlackSys cig plug inserted into it (the JNC-770R) -- simply unplugged from the center console outlet and moved a foot over and down to the JNC-770R. It is this unswitched outlet that provides power to the car's parking mode once BlackSys determines the vehicle isn't moving. The OEM floor mat would be replaced atop the JNC-770R when I exit the vehicle.

I set this up for photographing only and still have not permanently installed the BlackSys dashcam. However, turning on the vehicle does start the recording, and moving the cig plug to the JNC-770R does start the parking mode recording (once BlackSys determines the car is stationary). Voila! This negates having to pay $300-$400 for a Celllink or other dashcam battery and utilizes a reputable emergency portable car jumper (which I purchased for $137 from Amazon in Dec '16) to perform double-duty as a jumper and power for the dashcam in parking mode. No tricky or laborious hardwiring; no bothering my car's battery for any power whatsoever, and obviously a great savings/value over purchasing an extraneous dedicated dashcam battery. BTW, the JNC-770R stays charged for 8 or more months (and has a power cord for in-house re-charging). I wouldn't think my very rare parking utilization will deplete the unit much at all. In any event, this is my solution only and may not be suitable or desirable for you.

111.jpg

222.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!!! Any comments regarding temperature? How hot does your jump starter gets during this summer? Here in CO, the temperature lately has been 90-96F.

Thanks Mike!!! Any comments regarding temperature? How hot does your jump starter gets during this summer? Here in CO, the temperature lately has been 90-96F.

You're welcome. As I allude to above, I only temporarily "installed" this setup yesterday merely to take photos showing positioning and for me to test the work-ability of the driving and parking modes. Otherwise I haven't had it in my car or used it other than yesterday. However I'd suppose (but don't know for certain) that the small amperage draw on the JNC-770R would heat the unit minimally at best. It's a pretty hardy and insulated unit. Here's the Amazon link if you could gleam information from the specifications they may show there. Otherwise good luck w/those 90-degree temps! :eek:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01GQDBNWS

That's an awfully big jump starter, Mike. I would think it should keep your dashcam running for over a week.

I use a much smaller jump box and it will keep the cam alive for several days. It has 3 Smart USB outlets, including one that is a USB 3.0 Fast Charger. You can also charge if from a USB port in your vehicle, when the vehicle is running, eliminating the need to take it into the house to charge it.

Alternatively, if you don't have it attached to your dashcam and your vehicle battery happens to run down, it will jump up to a 7L diesel engine (as long as there is still some small amount of charge left in the battery). I've used it to jump a Lincoln MKZ and a 1/4 ton pickup, with the largest gasoline engine.

Car Jump Starter RAVPower 1000A Peak Current Quick Charge 3.0 12V 14000mAh (for All 12V Gas & Diesel Engines up to 7L) Power Bank with 2.4A iSmart Ports Built-in LED Flashlight Car Battery Booster

How hot does your jump starter gets during this summer? Here in CO, the temperature lately has been 90-96F.

That's not hot. 90-96F is just a pleasant spring day, here in South Texas. It hit 104 over in San Antonio the other day. In the summer, we don't worry about the heat destroying the lithium batteries. We worry about the heat melting the plastic housing and then having to clean all that plastic goo off the dashboard.

John -- I think your quick charge unit is a spectacular alternative, only that I've been led to believe that smaller units often aren't as efficient at charging a car as they claim to be). However, if it does, then I'd definitely mark your unit as superior to mine. Mine also has USB ports, but of course the elephant in the room with mine is the size and weight (23 lbs). Obviously it does stick out from underneath the seat a bit, albeit it will be covered. I'm using it simply because I happen to have purchased it just for an emergency battery/car starter and thought it'd be a pretty smart idea to employ it as a power source for the parking mode on my dashcam. So ultimately I have it, so am using it. Had I planned things in advance (or even HEARD of car dashcams a year ago), I would most certainly have opted for yours.

I more or less started this post and am happy to have seen and monitored the interest -- including other options like yours -- because I'm not enamored with people feeling they're painted into a corner to only use the expensive/low value Cellink models. Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat! And I DO like your RavPower charger! Thanks for contributing!!

You're welcome. As I allude to above, I only temporarily "installed" this setup yesterday merely to take photos showing positioning and for me to test the work-ability of the driving and parking modes. Otherwise I haven't had it in my car or used it other than yesterday. However I'd suppose (but don't know for certain) that the small amperage draw on the JNC-770R would heat the unit minimally at best. It's a pretty hardy and insulated unit. Here's the Amazon link if you could gleam information from the specifications they may show there. Otherwise good luck w/those 90-degree temps! :eek:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01GQDBNWS
That's an awfully big jump starter, Mike. I would think it should keep your dashcam running for over a week.

I use a much smaller jump box and it will keep the cam alive for several days. It has 3 Smart USB outlets, including one that is a USB 3.0 Fast Charger. You can also charge if from a USB port in your vehicle, when the vehicle is running, eliminating the need to take it into the house to charge it.

Alternatively, if you don't have it attached to your dashcam and your vehicle battery happens to run down, it will jump up to a 7L diesel engine (as long as there is still some small amount of charge left in the battery). I've used it to jump a Lincoln MKZ and a 1/4 ton pickup, with the largest gasoline engine.

Car Jump Starter RAVPower 1000A Peak Current Quick Charge 3.0 12V 14000mAh (for All 12V Gas & Diesel Engines up to 7L) Power Bank with 2.4A iSmart Ports Built-in LED Flashlight Car Battery Booster

I think you guys should stay away from leaving ithium Cobalt Oxide based batteries (especially of that size) in your car for long periods of time. bThe reason why cellink and Blackvue batteries are so expensive is because they are the only battery packs that are more resistant to extreme temperatures while charging and discharging because they are based on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). I highly recommend buying something like this jump starter or this battery pack since they are LiFePO4 based. Dont chance your car or your safety, just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean it wont.

Last edited:
I think you guys should stay away from leaving ithium Cobalt Oxide based batteries (especially of that size) in your car for long periods of time. bThe reason why cellink and Blackvue batteries are so expensive is because they are the only battery packs that are more resistant to extreme temperatures while charging and discharging because they are based on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4).

I do appreciate your thoughts. The JNC-770R isn't a lithium cobalt oxide based battery. Since it's sold for consumer use to jump start your vehicle (should you find yourself stranded away from home), it's actually meant to reside in your vehicle daily and withstand typical temperatures you'd reasonably expect would be present there. Perhaps the Cellink is engineered further to withstand extreme Texas-like conditions (which they then feel justifies their elevated pricing), but we don't experience anything near that anyway here in the temperate San Francisco Bay Area. Beyond that I would use it for parking only on very rare occasions. That said I'm hard pressed to assign any concerns to its use.

I think you guys should stay away from leaving ithium Cobalt Oxide based batteries (especially of that size) in your car for long periods of time. bThe reason why cellink and Blackvue batteries are so expensive is because they are the only battery packs that are more resistant to extreme temperatures while charging and discharging because they are based on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). I highly recommend buying something like this jump starter or this battery pack since they are LiFePO4 based. Dont chance your car or your safety, just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean it wont.
The working temperature for LiFePO4 batteries is the same as for Lithium Cobalt batteries, and LiFePO4 can also catch fire if abused.
As for the lead acid battery in the OP, they can actually cause an explosion unlike lipo batteries, they do occasionally kill people when abused.

If a powerbank has all the required safety features, such as low and high temperature shutdown then LiFePO4 does not give great safety benefits.

Back