Car Jump Starter in Lieu of Cellink Battery?

The working temperature for LiFePO4 batteries is the same as for Lithium Cobalt batteries, and LiFePO4 can also catch fire if abused.
As for the lead acid battery in the OP, they can actually cause an explosion unlike lipo batteries, they do occasionally kill people when abused.

If a powerbank has all the required safety features, such as low and high temperature shutdown then LiFePO4 does not give great safety benefits.

My understanding is LiFePO4 is more stable chemistry and less likely to lead to thermal runaway. That alone would make it safer.

My understanding is LiFePO4 is more stable chemistry and less likely to lead to thermal runaway. That alone would make it safer.
It is more tolerant of abuse, so if you want to charge it without a charging circuit and without thermal cut-outs then it is safer (not safe, just safer, and it can catch fire), but if you don't abuse them then other forms of lithium battery are stable as well.

I think you guys should stay away from leaving ithium Cobalt Oxide based batteries (especially of that size) in your car for long periods of time. bThe reason why cellink and Blackvue batteries are so expensive is because they are the only battery packs that are more resistant to extreme temperatures while charging and discharging because they are based on Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). I highly recommend buying something like this jump starter or this battery pack since they are LiFePO4 based. Dont chance your car or your safety, just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean it wont.

that is a good point and one that I have spent time researching. those products you refer seem too cheap to be true. LiFePo4 are more expensive to built and have lower market share. and notwithstanding LiFePo4 li-ion type of batteries are more resistant to heat and misuse than traditional LiCoO2, if the batteries are not cheaply made then they can safely operate under the reference temperature of -20ºC to 60ºC because they will shut down after getting too hot. this jump starter batteries are supposed to be in the car all the time so it is not probable that they will leak and/or get fire under heat (a car interior in a very hot summer day (40ºC) in hot regions can go to 80ºC after one hour).

i am planning to go this way with a portable jump starter. most of the brands are Chinese (Amazon Europe) but for what i could investigate the majority will coop with hot environments. this will work as a jump starter when needed and as a battery to power two Blackvue DR-750 2CH (or combined with Thinkware F800 Pro) when in parking mode. Jump starters of 800-1000 CCA and 18000 to 22000 mAh capacity are more than enough to power the traditional one 2CH dash cam setup, and 8 to 12h for two 2CH dash cams setup (almost 360º coverage) running in parking mode with time-lapse or event triggered method.

to give a little extra security i will put the jump starter within a Lipo safebag. if i get to be the unlucky 1 in a million cases guy where a Li-on battery catches fire by bad use/construction or even by thermal runaway then i will have some change to stop the fire from spreading to the car.

Thanks for the thread!

Your situation is exactly like mine...being retired I only need parking mode for a few hours at most (usually no more than 30 mins) and would like a less expensive option. Really need something decent in the $100 range more or less. I haven't pulled the trigger on the cam itself yet, so hoping by the time I do something more economical will be available. I know I could hardwire but prefer not to do that.

Thanks for the thread!

Your situation is exactly like mine...being retired I only need parking mode for a few hours at most (usually no more than 30 mins) and would like a less expensive option. Really need something decent in the $100 range more or less. I haven't pulled the trigger on the cam itself yet, so hoping by the time I do something more economical will be available. I know I could hardwire but prefer not to do that.

Certainly. It works for me but perhaps not others. I'm really glad I got the dashcam. It's a Blacksys 200 model and works flawlessly (great value). I thought I'd be looking at the vids constantly, but I found the best thing was to turn the volume down and just access the vids whenever I needed to see something (which has only been maybe 2 or 3 things in the last half year). I just love that it is virtually invisible in every way but there should I need to have some evidence of something.

Ironically I haven't employed the parking technique as much as I thought I would (although it's set up as I described). I'm just too lazy to plug it in and otherwise garage my car (and infrequently drive it other than 1/3rd mile to BART for my commute -- that is until I retire in February...). I'm very happy with all my selections. Good luck!

Retirement is great, although I think the word is misleading. You don't retire, you get freedom to live! :)

Thanks for the thread!

I would think your car battery could handle a quick 30 minutes in parking mode with no real concern?

I would think your car battery could handle a quick 30 minutes in parking mode with no real concern?

Yep, probably right. I did watch a video from Blackbox where they said my battery was a bad candidate for hardwiring, so I will get a battery pack at some point.

Mrs. Santa just brought me a Viofo A129 Duo so I am busy getting it setup now, will install in my car soon.

Back