Car passing large truck hits car making left turn

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
There's often a reason a large truck (that you can't easily see around) is slowing down. In this situation, a car is slowing to turn left ahead of the truck.

That looked nasty.

Red car's fault - cut across a lane already in use by the blue car...

Solid yellow centre line ended too soon!

Russian turn V2. One does not attempt to pass in an intersection or where one cannot see. Hope everyone was OK

Phil

Blue cars fault imo, blue car is on wrong side of the road, passing at intersection at speed, red car stopped mid manouvre but blue car couldn't avoid due to excess speed.

Bad road design. Should have a solid line longer. Only the most defensive driver may have seen or paid attention to the upcoming intersection before he started to pass the truck.

Kind of like what Samsung has made for their trucks in Argentina

Russian turn V2.

Tats what i thought too, just cuz things in front of you slow down that's not a invite to overtake, at least not before thinking " i wonder if there are a reason they slow down"

Its those clowns that just can not drive behind another vehicle :rolleyes: and its nothing to do with the speed, its them feeling their manhood shrink for every 1/4 mile they drive behind another vehicle.

You could clearly see the grey tarmac and how far in front the red car was in front of the truck he would or should have been easily visible to those drivers gifted with sight, the slowing truck should be a clue in it's own right, they don't slow down for no reason, maybe overtaking car should have thought is truck turning, which again would be yet another reason not to overtake.

Bad road design. Should have a solid line longer. Only the most defensive driver may have seen or paid attention to the upcoming intersection before he started to pass the truck.

Kind of like what Samsung has made for their trucks in Argentina
I can imagine people watching the that screen and forgetting that there is a truck between them and what they are seeing, then driving into the back of the truck!

Blue cars fault imo, blue car is on wrong side of the road, passing at intersection at speed, red car stopped mid manouvre but blue car couldn't avoid due to excess speed.
There is nothing wrong with being on that side of the road to overtake, the road markings suggested it was OK, I think under UK law he would have had right of way over the red car. I don't see that the blue car did much wrong. The red car should have checked his mirrors before turning, although I'm not sure he would have seen anything but truck and most people wouldn't have checked their mirrors for anything more than checking the truck was slowing. 70% red fault / 30% blue fault 80% road designers fault.

Here in SC USA you must ensure that you can complete your pass safely before you may leave your lane. You will be held "at fault" should any problems occur during the pass. "Safely" means that you must have adequate following distance before passing and you must leave the same for the vehicle you passed before you move back over. In addition you're not allowed to exceed the speed limit during a pass. You may never pass or have any portion of the maneuver occur in an intersection, school zone, or any other place where traffic conditions or a lack of vision might not allow a safe pass.

In short, just common sense ;) Of which very few licensed SC drivers seem to have or use :(

Phil

I can't see the turning car well enough to tell if it had a turn signal on, but.....more or less what sawmaster said applies in the US. (This video was from Canada.)

In the US, due to the 'economy', a lot of road markings and signage are missing, faded, or never put up.

In the US, due to the 'economy', a lot of road markings and signage are missing, faded, or never put up.

Yeah what a way to treat the people that are paying for the "party"
I think such behavior are a insult to the working tax paying man, one that i can only compare to a slap in the face with a gauntlet.
At least that's what i feel here where the same go on.

I can't see the turning car well enough to tell if it had a turn signal on, but.....more or less what sawmaster said applies in the US. (This video was from Canada.)

I think I could see flashing from very early on, when the truck driver lifted off the throttle, looked a bit like the driver was being excessively careful!

I think the reason we don't normally see incidents like this in the UK is that the red car would have moved into the centre of the road where normally there would have been a marked turning area and so the red car would have been able to see the blue car coming in his mirror and the blue car would have seen the red car as soon as he pulled out to overtake. All it takes to make the road safe is a little extra paint. Even without the extra paint we would still move over to touch the centre line shortly after turning the flashers on so would have visibility, in this video the red car stays hidden in the centre of the right lane.

In Canada, we can find lots of places to put out money aside from the roads. Special interest groups will see to that.
I think the poor signage accounts for many of the accidents here. Perhaps if we spend money on enforcement as a collective, we wouldn't be spending as much on insurance as there wouldn't be as many drivers taking advantage of the lack of enforcement, where their luck catches up on them ... accident ... then big law suit settlement that we are all paying for with higher premiums.

Wish we had some control over where our tax dollars went.

...centre of the road where normally there would have been a marked turning area....
While that is relatively common in some areas it's not so much so in rural environments where there are numerous private driveways and farm roads.

While that is relatively common in some areas it's not so much so in rural environments where there are numerous private driveways and farm roads.

A woman died here a few weeks ago waiting to turn into her driveway on US25 just north of a heavily populated area. 4 lanes total, no median just a double-yellow line :( The scenario was similar, a box truck restricted view in the right lane and a pick-up moved to the left lane to pass him, and there she was, almost home.... :cry:

Phil

Maybe it is just me but if I were following something that suddenly and for no reason that I could see slowed down, the last thing in the world I would be doing is blasting past it, the junction due to being a different colour to the trees/bushes/ground can be seen from a distance, blue car didn't slow down as soon as he saw red car either, red cars view in obscured by width of truck in , there is only one person to blame here, and it isn't the red car, those saying red car at fault, does that mean you must NEVER TURN OFF A ROAD ?

Red car Did nothing wrong ...
There are rules about overtaking turning vehicles ( here at least ) ...
+ The road design obviously sucks ..
As mentioned , some extra paint could solve a lot of problems ( Double solid lines from further away )
+ The driver in the blue car was an idiot ! Made no attempt to avoid the crash ...
Would have had 2 to 2.5 seconds to apply the brakes ...

But as we all know by now , for some reason (?) I dont know what it is (?) too many people simply refuse to use their brakes = much preferring to die or kill than safely come to a stop or slow down ! ( Strange that )

Last edited:
The red car was lucky. They seemed to either be elderly, over cautious or not quite knowing where they were going. They couldve negotiated that turn much quicker than they did. Its probably good they went so slow and wide on the turn, otherwise it mightve been a fullon t-bone impact which couldve been much worse. But as OP mentioned, when a big truck is going slow, its probably for a good reason. A similar situation happened to me as I negotiated through a nightime fatality accident.

A pity we rarely get the official outcome/verdict of these things, it might just help others when they are driving.
Reading these replies, some see it as the blue car's fault, some see it as the red.
It would be good to read what the outcome was & why this decision was made.
In this scenario, the blue car has clearly not thought things through - why is the truck slowing down? Being the most obvious. since this behemoth takes up most of the lane, blue car has no way of knowing what lies ahead - it could've been a police road block, police stopping traffic to allow a slow moving vehicle across the road or truck could've been slowing to let a family of ducks cross the road. Blue car knew none of this yet accellerated blindly past.

A lot of people get frustrated ... ( And yes some people go crazy - lose their minds in the moment )
A young man has just been sentenced to jail for running a red @ 116kmh in a 80 zone and killing two women ...
Did he get 6 years , a slap on the wrist for a double homicide ...
And I think think they are going to deport him when he gets out ...

No one wins , not the women killed or their families ..
The drivers not going to win , even though the slap on the wrist .. Probably the greatest pain will be being deported !
Bottom line , it's just not worth it !

Most of this stuff happens because people are impatient and in a hurry ... Slow down ! Be happy !
Yes there are idiots on the road , but try , try very hard not to be the biggest idiot of all !

Back