Caught on budget camera....

Aero

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I splashed out a whole £24 on a Prestigio RoadRunner RR519i Full HD Dash Cam for my 'beater', and captured this selection of incidents in a few days.

I need to see if I can sort the sound quality, it's awful :eek:.

Filthy litterbug :mad:.

Happy to risk her own life & anyone else's to save queuing, stupid :(.

Usual roundabout cutting up shenanigans :rolleyes:.

Even the cheapest dashcam is better than no cam.

I splashed out a whole £24 on a Prestigio RoadRunner RR519i Full HD Dash Cam for my 'beater', and captured this selection of incidents in a few days.

Filthy litterbug :mad:.

Nice of you to Cher that first video with us all. ;)

Even the cheapest dashcam is better than no cam.
So very true but you can get better cams for that price if you wait on sales. Still fun to try out stuff interesting to you regardless and they could have done a lot worse than this. Seems the video is OK and that's what counts most.

Phil

Full HD with a NTK96220? I don't think so... :rolleyes:
Time to open it up and replace the mic. :)

Last edited:
Litterbug :mad: Filthy animal.

Believe me, I was under no illusions :D.
I didn't say you were, I was just kind of "replying" to the BS advertised on the seller's site. ;)

I like to fiddle :oops:, but on this occasion I'll just hit mute button ;).
Too bad, because your "beater" actually sounds very nice. :)

I didn't say you were, I was just kind of "replying" to the BS advertised on the seller's site. ;)
I wasn't being over-sensitive ;), I just really, really needed to make it clear I didn't fall for the BS :D.

Too bad, because your "beater" actually sounds very nice. :)
Would it really be just as 'simple' as soldering in a new mic? I have a track day planned for my beater in November and decent audio would be ideal, so if I find the time to fiddle could you recommend a replacement? Talk about a change of tune :rolleyes::D!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Would it really be just as 'simple' as soldering in a new mic? I have a track day planned for my beater in November and decent audio would be ideal, so if I find the time to fiddle could you recommend a replacement? Talk about a change of tune :rolleyes::D!

Thanks!
Usually they're either over-sensitive, like yours, or almost "deaf", but you have to try with a different one to be sure it's the mic because there's always the possibility that it might be a hardware problem.
I had to do it twice, on the G1W-H and on the At11DA. On the first one I replaced it with the good mic from the G1W that I wasn't going to use anymore and on the second one I tried several mics (from old cell phones and wireless landline phones) and ended up choosing one from an old Lidl's landline phone. You have to pop the camera open to check if it's soldered directly to the mainboard or if it's connected with wires. If it's the first you'll have to find a mic with the same pin width as the original, if it has wires then you have a broader range of options to chose from.

Ahh, thanks! I'll have a rummage and see if I have any spare mics in any old equipment that's hanging around, and maybe have a play :).

My hearing is horridly bad, but other than some rattles it sounged decent to me. The rattles are usually the mount but they can be a loose Mic, a loose case, or the board and Mic hitting the case.

Cheap Mic tricks:
-If it's muffled or low, check that the pinhole for audio in the case is aligned with the Mic. If it is, then open the case hole slightly. Go up in steps but stop just short of 'perfect' so you don't go too big.

-If it's too loud and distorts on audio peaks, cover the pinhole with a cigarette paper (or similar). Go thicker in steps till it's best, then glue your 'sound filter' inside the case. Thin foam rubber also worhs here if you have space.

-This won't fix a junky or bad Mic but works well enough otherwise. Oddly even the cheapest Mics are usually good or better. These electret Mics are very moisture sensitive. I've fixed a couple waterlogged radios and hand Mic's as noted above. They can be bad from new by too-humid storage or shipping. There's only a few commonly used component values with these so there's a good chance that whatever you've got will work. as long as you can get it in there. They also like solid mounting, a dab or two of hot glue is perfect for that. Case rattles can be shimmed with tape and mount rattles with tape, foam, rubber, or cardboard as needed. Easy fix if you can solder electronics at all.

Phil

My hearing is horridly bad, but other than some rattles it sounged decent to me.
Your hearing must really be horribly bad if you can't hear how distorted the audio is in the 2nd and 3rd clips. :p:D

Back