Choosing a First Dash Cam

Belial88

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but the market seems to change so much, and there's so many good choices it appears.

I drive ~50k miles/yr, so I think I need something a little nicer than the average dash cam for accidents, cool stuff, self insurance, and theft/hit&run stuff. I frequently do many, short trips each day as well, ie multiple ~3 minute drives consecutively for hours on end. I'm a delivery driver, so security is important to me (that and I do lots of quick, short drives). I live in a big city, but do many cross country, interstate, etc drives as well.
  • I'd prefer under $100
  • Auto Start/Off is Important
  • Don't care for GPS (I don't see the need, have smartphone)
  • Don't need ability to transfer between cars, it'll just be in a single car (besides, even $100 isn't so much that I couldn't get a 2nd one)
  • I'm not sure on power sources, but I'm familiar enough with electronics that I would't have a problem making my own battery pack.
  • Theft Protection/Parked Protection is a feature I'd appreciate (ie motion sensor, etc, I see some dash cams have stuff for when car is parked. Is the LED Security light even useful? lol)
  • Overheating is not a concern. First, I live on the East Coast US, ie ~20-100*F/-4-30*C, and secondly I do a lot of computer modding and overclocking. What this means is that I would have no problem ripping a cam open and replacing the heat sinks on it with an improved thermal compound and larger, copper sinks.
  • Audio would be nice for stuff like cop stops, robberies, and road rage.
  • I don't know how useful a video screen would be. It sounds useful for something like playback to a cop on the scene, but I mean you can always email it (ie hey i have it recorded, let me email it, would probably be enough to convince the cop of where fault lies for the moment being). I mean you tell me how useful it would be to me.
  • It seems to me rear camera doesnt really exist at a decent price and isn't better than 2x dash cams, but a wide FOV seems important to me just to get images of thieves, crashes, someone trying to break into my car at night, etc (omg what if I get 2 dashcams and put a cheapo for the rear, in my rear view window? is that a thing?)
  • I dont see why size would matter in a dash cam, but obviously bigger is uglier and blocks view.
  • I use Satellite radio and can only play it via radio transmitter. I'd prefer not to get interference with that.
  • I use my cellphone's GPS constantly. No interference.
In general, I don't mind modding or altering something if it's what it takes to make an okay unit, into an awesome unit for the price. I would even be comfortable replacing electronics if, say, the difference in some unit and one 2x it's cost was a $.50 chip that had to be soldered/replaced.
I know higher price tag is for higher quality, but I'd at least like decent night vision in city lights. I'm considering the K6000 & DVR-207, but I think I might go a step up and consider the GT300w. But there's also the GT550w and GT680w that just came out? Why wouldn't I get that instead? And then there's the LB100.

I hear about some cams, like the DVR-027, having a few lost frames every once in a while? Isn't that like, completely unacceptable? That could be a car crash, why would anyone be okay with that in a dash cam?

Thanks.

Last edited:
GT series or similar NT96650 based cameras offer decent performance in your price range, for the kind of usage you have where you do multiple short trips I wouldn't even bother stopping and starting the cam, I'd have one running all day, that's not the best with cams with batteries inside though which is what you get at these price points, as always if price is a consideration then you have to make some compromises

Within your price range GT- series is the best choice. Overall they perform equally, just design difference and some of them have few extras in the menu ( car name stamp on the videos, etc )
Read threads: GT300W, GT550W, GT680W

yea at the moment I think I'm most considering a GT300w, GT550w, and GT680w. I can't tell what the difference is, seems like no one else can either. I think I saw the GT300w for like $70 too on ali or whatever it's recommended on normally. I mean I'd like it to revert to motion control when I'm out of the car.

What I meant by auto on/off, is that I don't have to power it on, it just starts up with the car right? If I can't do that, I could also just hook up a bunch of AA batteries in series or like put a car-sized battery in my car's battery slot just for the camera and run it 24/7 (i have space, and could make the wires for it).

How exactly does the recording work? Does it record 15min and then just keep recording and delete the previous material? or X minutes based on storage size? I mean I just want to save accidents, incidents, etc, I dont need it all saved.

Finally, thanks for the recommendations, but just curious, are the GT-series so good to be worth it over a much cheap k6000 or something?

edit: It appears to me that the GT300/350/450/550/680 are all the exact same hardware in different housing :X

Last edited:
yea at the moment I think I'm most considering a GT300w, GT550w, and GT680w. I can't tell what the difference is, seems like no one else can either. I think I saw the GT300w for like $70 too on ali or whatever it's recommended on normally. I mean I'd like it to revert to motion control when I'm out of the car.

What I meant by auto on/off, is that I don't have to power it on, it just starts up with the car right? If I can't do that, I could also just hook up a bunch of AA batteries in series or like put a car-sized battery in my car's battery slot just for the camera and run it 24/7 (i have space, and could make the wires for it).

How exactly does the recording work? Does it record 15min and then just keep recording and delete the previous material? or X minutes based on storage size? I mean I just want to save accidents, incidents, etc, I dont need it all saved.

Finally, thanks for the recommendations, but just curious, are the GT-series so good to be worth it over a much cheap k6000 or something?

edit: There is no info in this forum on the 550w or 680w.

They all starts / stop recording upon ACC ( engine ) start / stopp if plugged into the car cigarette lighter.

Yes, for 24/7 you can use any 5V external battery pack from low to high capacity ,but member that maximum microsd memory card of 64gb recording at 1080p / 30fps / 15 Mfps bit-rate will give you about 5 hours 45 min of recording. Changing to 720p will give you about 2h 55min, because at 720p they all record 60 fps, tehre for total data is bigger.

You can chose from menu how long each video clip will be ( 1, 2, 3, 5 min ). All GT- series models have 1 sec video clip overlap, so for sure you dont miss any action between video clips.
All dash cameras has loo-recording, - it's means if memory card is full, it starts overwriting files covering first recorded videos ( if not protected by g-sensor ).

Yes, for sure GT- series are better than K6000. THis series has been proven to be very reliable and in my opinion it's the best choice within 100 usd ( + / - ) price range.

but member that maximum microsd memory card of 64gb recording at 1080p / 30fps / 15 Mfps bit-rate will give you about 5 hours 45 min of recording. Changing to 720p will give you about 2h 55min, because at 720p they all record 60 fps, tehre for total data is bigger.

Does it stop recording or does it start erasing the old stuff? Because that'd be perfectly acceptable given what I'm using it for (i mean im not trying to record every drive... just when things happen).

And how long would a battery last? ie, what is the amperage of a gt dash cam?

You can chose from menu how long each video clip will be ( 1, 2, 3, 5 min ).

I'm confused, I thought you said it would last 5/2 hours? How does it only last 5 minutes?

GT300 is $70 after $2 coupon
GT450 is $99.70AC

Big price gap, wish I could see just how much bigger the gt300w was. id be willing to pay for smaller, but not nearly $30 more. I'll probably go with the gt300, seems smaller than a rear view mirror.

Does it stop recording or does it start erasing the old stuff? Because that'd be perfectly acceptable given what I'm using it for (i mean im not trying to record every drive... just when things happen).

And how long would a battery last? ie, what is the amperage of a gt dash cam?

I'm confused, I thought you said it would last 5/2 hours? How does it only last 5 minutes?

GT300 is $70 after $2 coupon
GT450 is $99.70AC

Big price gap, wish I could see just how much bigger the gt300w was. id be willing to pay for smaller, but not nearly $30 more. I'll probably go with the gt300, seems smaller than a rear view mirror.

1,2,3,5 min, - those are individual video clips. Lets say you record in total 60 min, set each video clip for 5 min lenght, you will get 12 separate video clips by 5 minutes long. Hope now you understand concept how it works ?

The one from Givoe for 70usd is NEUTRAL ls300w (read title there ). It is similar to gt300w, but it records with 12Mbps vs GT- series 15Mbps. I have one in hand and 4gb microsd shoes me 39min recording at 1080p / 30fps. LS300W (gt300W ) shows 32 min on 4gb microsd.

Same neutral gt300w sold by foxoffer under name VF300W:

here is thread, you can see videos and review:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/vf300w-from-foxoffer-pics-videos-box.2176/

gt450w on foxoffer:

Foxoffer gt450w is ruffly 5usd more expensive and VF300W about 3 usd higher in price than Givoe, but don't forget that you paying slightly higher, I would say very unsubstantial price difference for well established after-sales service, which is worth paying few $ more. Givoe also has a good reputation on this forum ( check 0802 mini dash camera thread ), but they are personally are not active here on this forum.
I wish more resellers / vendors would join this forum to communicate with buyers here.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,2,3,5 min, - those are individual video clips. Lets say you record in total 60 min, set each video clip for 5 min lenght, you will get 12 separate video clips by 5 minutes long. Hope now you understand concept how it works ?

Because that doesnt make sense. Why not a single ~5hour clip?

The one from Givoe for 70usd is NEUTRAL ls300w (read title there ). It is similar to gt300w, but it records with 12Mbps vs GT- series 15Mbps. I have one in hand and 4gb microsd shoes me 39min recording at 1080p / 30fps. LS300W (gt300W ) shows 32 min on 4gb microsd.

So it's lower quality video, ie lower birtate. It appears to just be $2 more expensive than the one I picked, which was also a neutral (so I'm assuming same slightly lower bitrate).

Why would I care about after sales service? There's plenty of info online, I know how to read a user manual?

I guess I'll go with the GT450w for ~$105 on aliexpress I linked above (so slightly more quality, smaller).

Because that doesnt make sense. Why not a single ~5hour clip?

So it's lower quality video, ie lower birtate. It appears to just be $2 more expensive than the one I picked, which was also a neutral (so I'm assuming same slightly lower bitrate).

Why would I care about after sales service? There's plenty of info online, I know how to read a user manual?

I guess I'll go with the GT450w for ~$105 on aliexpress I linked above (so slightly more quality, smaller).

Non of the dash cameras can record such a long single video clip, - too much data processing / buffering. Your PC can handle it, - it has many times bigger hardware / components, but from such a small device you can not ask long single recordings.
There are softwares out there that can "glue" all your video clips together.

@ your " ... Why would I care about after sales service? There's plenty of info online, I know how to read a user manual? "
- this is bizarre question / replay I heard for long time.
What will you do when ( if ) dash camera firmware crashes down, or something else get faulty ? , - bin it and buy new ? :)

Because that doesnt make sense. Why not a single ~5hour clip?.

It's about context, with 5 minute clips (and say you have twelve 5 minute clips) then when the memory card is full and the camera starts to re-write, it overwrites the first 5 minute clip leaving you a record of the last 11 clips or the previous 55 minutes. First in, first out. If you have one five hour clip and it's time to start re-using and re-writing over memory, the moment your new clip is started, you lose the last 5 hours of recording. If there is an incident in the first few seconds of the new recording, you have no context in the seconds preceding the event.

You can choose how long the individual recordings are, 1 minute, 3 minutes or 5 minute chunks. 5 minutes seems to be what a lot of people use. You don't have to manage the memory card, just install the camera and forget about it. What you get in the end is a memory card with record of the last X hours of driving. Kind of like an airplane ****pit voice recorder, the pilots don't think about it, the endless tape just records the last 30 minutes of ****pit audio.

What will you do when ( if ) dash camera firmware crashes down, or something else get faulty ? , - bin it and buy new ?

Why would the firmware crash, and what would support have to do with that? I would just go on the forums for a fix, ie revert to an older/fixed firmware. I wouldn't rely on the manufacturer on that. And wouldnt you just get firmware from the OEM, not from the retailer...

Reminds me of those scam-ish stuff where best buy, microcenter, etc tries to sell you extended warranty. Um, no thanks, product already comes with a warranty, why would I purchase one from you? To save me the email I have to send to ask for postage for $3-10 in case I have to mail the thing back?

Are you trying to tell me I shouldn't buy the gt300/450w? Because if theres limited manufacturer support, I'll hear other options. But as I've made clear in the OP, I'm a very DIY guy. If any software issue arose I'd likely address it myself or swap the board with an arduino or something.

And I'd never bin something, even faulty/need repair electronics sell for about 20-40% of new value.

Your reply is most bizzare I've heard for long time.

It's about context, with 5 minute clips (and say you have twelve 5 minute clips) then when the memory card is full and the camera starts to re-write, it overwrites the first 5 minute clip leaving you a record of the last 11 clips or the previous 55 minutes.

wow, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for your great answer.

It appears that all the gts (300, 350, 450, 550, 680) are all the same price essentially, ie $100, so I'll get the 450w from aliexpress that I linked above.

Theres a few I see that are $72, 'neutral' units, which is awesome but they are lower bitrate, which leads me to believe lower quality parts, so I wont get those i think (then again its almost 50% cheaper for just 3mbp/s difference...).

You will not get any help remotely from nobody if you "brick" dash camera, when its need special approach to fix problem, maybe replace some IC, maybe some other stuff that can be done only at factory repair shop.

I am just trying to help you not to do same mistakes I had in the past. Of course we all learn from our own mistakes.

Added:
About aftersales i meant warranty issues.
You may save few $ buying cheaper from "unknown" / "untested" vendor, but when you need more serious help that you will not get from forums, you write to seller, but they avoid your e-mails.
This what I was trying to explain you under aftersales service.

Last edited:
What? Are you telling me I'll get remote help from foxoffer or any retailer? I dont understand what you are saying. Even the best computer part companies dont really give remote help other than BS.

I mean are you telling me that you go and call the company for tech help instead of going on a forum like here? I really doubt that anyone you call for remote help will be anywhere knowledgeable enough to provide any help further than 'Is it plugged in?', 'are you sure you hit the power button', and 'its not wet is it?'?

Anyone with enough technical knowledge about firmware, ICs, etc, isnt going to be answering phones... like come on man.

If you want to tell me to spend more for support, I'm all ears. For example, the Corsair H110 and NZXT x60 closed loop 280mm CPU heatsinks are both the exact same rebrands of the Asetek 280LC sold for $110/$80 respectively, but NZXT is known as the wost and corsair the best support in the industry, meaning if its faulty or breaks they will have your free replacement back to you within 2 weeks with cross shipping, vs 2 months, no cross ship. In my eyes, it was a no brainer to get the corsair version, even if its 100% identical unit, manufactured fromsame plant, even same QC. But I know even if I purposefully broke my h110 2 yeara after the warranty was over, Corsair would give me a free replacement no questions asked, while NZXT would ask questions (and still, would do it).

Even Corsair though, the best computer component company around in terms of service, won't give you a single bit of help in regards to firmware or ICs, and they are based in the US!

Im not going to 'brick' my dash cam, and even if you do brick it, its not irrecoverable these days. Please, dont be so misleadingly dramatic (of course, if I'm wrong, please tell me). I'm not so stupid that I'd brick my phone, or rather, if I was doing any tinkering I'd make sure to know the risks of bricking and be aware of it.. I wouldnt flash a custom firmware without a bit of reading.

If ICs need to be replaced, I can easily do that on my own, and thats a case of physical damage that should be covered under manufacturer warranty. I'm not sure on the warranties on these particular models are, but the retailer is not going to help in such a scenario, foxoffer or aliexpress. Or givoe ( i assume giveo is seller on foxoffer).

I am certain I will make mistakes, and I really dont mean to sound hostile, I truly appreciate your feedback. Im just trying to understand what you mean. Manufacturer warranty&support is awesome, retialer support is only useful to make sure you arent shipped a broken unit.break i transit, ie buyer protection, in which case I think aliexpress has.

Never mind.

I mean nikos, I read a lot of your posts basically verifying that the various gt300/350/450/550/680/etc, was the exact same internals, I really appreciate your input, but your comments on service are not very clear. Why would I care about retailer service, beyond an honest seller and buyer protection which aliexpress has anyways? Anyways, I know most people shy away from a direct, rational discussion on forums so w/e.

i bought a k6000 for a friend's birthday present, it seems to me to be the best 'daily driver' model i think, esp for value, from estore@ebay $38. If I like the dash cam I end up getting, ie gt series, I might buy a cheapo one like a k6000, dvr-007, or mobius as a 2nd rear-view cam.

I hear about some cams, like the DVR-027, having a few lost frames every once in a while?
DVR-207 (a close relative of DVR-027) was one of the 11 dashcams I just tested and I'm surprised it's being recommended at all.

The videoclips are original recordings cut down to 5-7 seconds to limit the filesize. There is a signboard on the building I drive by. If you pause the video player you can compare how clear the text is.

If you don't need to transfer between cars I recommend you get a camera with adhesive pad. Dashcams with suction cups fall down sooner or later. 3 years ago I tested a DOD camera with suction cup. In minus 15°C the rubber/plastic was so "stiff" it wouldn't even fasten to the windscreen.

It wont translate that page, but okay, cool. I see that the ls300ws (seems to me that 'ls' are just gts with weaker processing and do ~12mb/s bitrate instead of 15+ like gt's) are only ~$70 so why get a $60-70 dashcam that is significantly worse in quality. But a $38 k6000 is definitely a great value dash cam from what I've read, though it lacks features (err just motion detect as far as I can tell). Makes for an awesome gift. I'm so buying dash cams, ie k6000s, for everyone as a present for the next 2 years (claplights and tazers/pepper spray makes for great presents too).

If you don't need to transfer between cars I recommend you get a camera with adhesive pad.

i'm really not worried about adhesive pads... I mean I have more glue, velcro, fasteners, and tape than you can imagine due to all the pc modding and DYI i do. I really don't need a camera with a special adhesive pad lol, all it is is some cheap double sided tape (if they're good they'll use 3m 4010, which I already have a ton of).

I think I'm going to throw down and buy that GT450w from aliexpress. Thanks guys for the help. If I want a 2nd cam I'll get a k6000 for my rear window.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1078242691.html

Last edited:
Well I know it's a lot crappier but $38 is hard to beat. Is a $70-100 gt-series really 2x as much quality (well, probably at night)? It just seems to me to be the best 'daily driver' model as most people don't drive around too much at night, and don't need much more than that (especially given that the dvr series is worse?). But like I said, I'm interested in at least some night quality and something a bit better, and can appreciate motion detect, so I personally want a bit more in a main cam.

Anyways, I've found some different pricings. And as I understand it, avoid any GT/LS cams being sold by 'givoe' or that say 'neutral', as they have 12mb/s instead of 15+.

Shadow GT300w $63!!!

Way cheaper, I'm definitely going to get this tonight instead I think.

I also see G1W/G2W, are those same internals as GT? I see them for only $50. There seems to be so many dash cams being released in last 2 months that it's hard to tell exactly what's the best buy...

Last edited:
Back