Choosing a First Dash Cam

Yeah don't worry about the multiple short clips. If you're a windows user, you can view your entire 3 hour group of clips via a free app called RegistratorViewer.
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

You can select the exact segment you want to save as a single .MP4 file as well.

So yeah save RegistratorViewer.exe to the root of your Memory card. When you run it, it will load all clips together into the same timeline.

Last edited:
Well I know it's a lot crappier but $38 is hard to beat. Is a $70-100 gt-series really 2x as much quality (well, probably at night)? It just seems to me to be the best 'daily driver' model as most people don't drive around too much at night, and don't need much more than that (especially given that the dvr series is worse?). But like I said, I'm interested in at least some night quality and something a bit better, and can appreciate motion detect, so I personally want a bit more in a main cam.

Anyways, I've found some different pricings. And as I understand it, avoid any GT/LS cams being sold by 'givoe' or that say 'neutral', as they have 12mb/s instead of 15+.

Shadow GT300w $63!!!

Way cheaper, I'm definitely going to get this tonight instead I think.

I also see G1W/G2W, are those same internals as GT? I see them for only $50. There seems to be so many dash cams being released in last 2 months that it's hard to tell exactly what's the best buy...

This is not GT300W by Shadow. Givoe has misleading title.
Its a vf300w and has no better performance than g1w. I have tested them all.
But of course its your choice.

Okay, going to take the plunge on the GT300 shadow on aliexpress @ $63.

it should be the 15mb/s type, and basically best dash cam ~$100 right? If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know. I see there's a new ambarella type dash cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, going to take the plunge on the GT300 shadow on aliexpress @ $63.

it should be the 15mb/s type, and basically best dash cam ~$100 right? If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know. I see there's a new ambarella type dash cam.

It's not GT300W !!! ... and its not 15Mbps !!!

This is not GT300W by Shadow. Givoe has misleading title.
Its a vf300w and has no better performance than g1w. I have tested them all.
But of course its your choice.

I really appreciate your help niko, your expertise on GT-series dash cams is unmatched, especially your personal experience using so many (why is that anyways? why not try different models instead of the same model rebranded so many times?)

However, sometimes I have difficulty understanding you. I'm really confused when you say 'givoe'. Who is givoe? I saw on foxoffer they were a seller, I'm assuming like an ebay account, ie seller, but there's no 'givoe' on that link. What do you mean it is not a GT300w by shadow? And what difference does it make? Right? I mean, all I want is the same GT300w internals that every other GT/LS cam has, with 15mbs+ bitrate (and not 12).

vf300w... isnt that like the neutrals, where it's just the same, but slightly lower bitrate, ie 12mb? I mean $63 is pretty hard to beat, is 3mbs+ worth paying almost 2x more for?

As for the G1w (which is same as g2w right?), isn't that the same internals as the neutrals? I'm really confused here.

Someone just needs to compile a list/table of all the GT/LS cams and note the differences in size and spec (ie bitrate really).

Thanks for the quick warn that it's not the GT300w, but what exactly is it?

If you don't require/want GPS I'd go for a WDR camera too. I'm not an expert on which GT dashcam is the best bang for the buck. $63 is as good as it gets if it's legit.

Why would I want GPS? GPS is only to make sure like, your teen kids aren't driving it around or where they are driving it around, right? Or worried about valets or mechanics spinning around your camaro.

As for the G1W... why would I get the G1W when you can get the G2W for the same price? What's the difference? What is the G1W exactly? Is it or isn't in the same internals as all other GT cams?

On a side note, what exactly is up with the battery (in order to get motion detect/parking protection) and sd card? Why would I want a larger SD card, I get that a larger card holds more hours but you only need footage of a ~1 minute event (which you make sure to save yourself when it happens or g-sensor saves it) why would you need anything more than the cheapest SD card (it just needs to be class 10, is that it?)?

With all due respect, based on your questions you need to take the time and read this forum a bit more and educate yourself.
That being said, the VF300W will have different FW and probably a 4G glass instead of 6G along with a lower Bitrate.
Differences will be minimal, but it's all built to a price so you will generally get what you pay for. Whether one chooses to pay $63 or $99 for a similar cam is up to you. In the end it's a confusing market with clones of clones!

Why would I want GPS? GPS is only to make sure like, your teen kids aren't driving it around or where they are driving it around, right? Or worried about valets or mechanics spinning around your camaro.

Why would I want a larger SD card, I get that a larger card holds more hours but you only need footage of a ~1 minute event (which you make sure to save yourself when it happens or g-sensor saves it) why would you need anything more than the cheapest SD card (it just needs to be class 10, is that it?)?

I started out with a $60 starter camera to test the concept of a dash cam. I'm ready to buy the next one and it'll have GPS. With the wide angle lens speed appears faster on playback than true speed, it's a similar effect as "objects are closer than they appear" in your right side convex mirror. The GPS is useful, not for location, but because the speed is shown in the video. If you drive buses, it might come in handy that although visually it appears you are driving 45 mph down that narrow residential street, the gps will show 25 mph (I made that up, I don't know what the exact effect of the wide angle lens is). As for location, I figure the places, buildings, bushes, signs, etc in the video will give the location. GPS isn't only for location. I probably won't use it for location, it's the speed record I want.

As for larger SD card, what you are interested in may not be in the last 90 minutes that the card retains. Particularly if you are driving a bus I'd think you'd want your whole shift. If a complaint comes in that at 8AM you are alleged to have run a red light, there's a better chance with a larger SD card that you have video of 8AM from the previous day. You may not know ahead of time what footage you need. The incident may be so insignificant that you don't capture the moment by pressing a button on the camera. My next dash cam will have a 32 GB card.

One option is to buy whatever you can find locally, cheap, as a starter camera. Use it for a few weeks to get a feel for what you are looking for. Video quality won't be the best but it won't be that bad. Then in a few weeks buy what you really need based on the trial. I found my dash cam on the shelf at a local computer store and bought it sight unseen. Fortunately the computer store did their homework and stocked a decent 720p no-name unit.

With all due respect, based on your questions you need to take the time and read this forum a bit more and educate yourself.
That being said, the VF300W will have different FW and probably a 4G glass instead of 6G along with a lower Bitrate.
Differences will be minimal, but it's all built to a price so you will generally get what you pay for. Whether one chooses to pay $63 or $99 for a similar cam is up to you. In the end it's a confusing market with clones of clones!

yea i know the battery/sd card is pretty basic, i figured there'd be a quick link that explains it. I'm really surprised how little compiled data there is on dash cams. And I've already taken a *ton* of time to research into dash cams, having to trawl through hundreds of forum posts is a bit tedious. I mean I understand these are basic questions but jeez, why is something only ~$50 so complicated. I don't think anything besides a car or house/investment takes as much research...

What's the deal with different firmwares? Can't you flash them across eachother? What's the difference between them in firmware? I don't really care much about software, I'm more of a hardware guy. I understand, ease of getting around the OS and uploading to the computer and such, but I don't think I'll be doing that as this is less for travel video and more for accidents, stupid ****, theft protection, etc.

Thanks for the input, so avoid all 'neutral', VF300, givoe, or shadow dash cams.

. If you drive buses, it might come in handy that although visually it appears you are driving 45 mph down that narrow residential street, the gps will show 25 mph (I made that up, I don't know what the exact effect of the wide angle lens is). As for location, I figure the places, buildings, bushes, signs, etc in the video will give the location. GPS isn't only for location. I probably won't use it for location, it's the speed record I want.

I don't get it. To prove you weren't speeding or something when an incident occurs? Because isn't it questionable for courts to accept it, and secondly I speed a little like most drivers, ie 5-10 over. I mean I have a speedometer. I don't drive buses though, it's just for a car.

As for larger SD card, what you are interested in may not be in the last 90 minutes that the card retains. Particularly if you are driving a bus I'd think you'd want your whole shift. If a complaint comes in that at 8AM you are alleged to have run a red light, there's a better chance with a larger SD card that you have video of 8AM from the previous day. You may not know ahead of time what footage you need. The incident may be so insignificant that you don't capture the moment by pressing a button on the camera. My next dash cam will have a 32 GB card.

Oh... okay, so basically not for capturing an incident, but more as an alibi. I'm not worried about complaints about my driving. So... I'll get the smallest sd card possible.

I'm aware that you need a class 10 card like every resource says, what I don't know, is the many class 10 cards that despite being class 10, don't work well, and that certain cards work much better for unknown reasons (just like any NAND), as some people are claiming I don't do any research. I've done tons of hours of research, and this is ridiculous, if you know so much about cams you'd really cut the spam like my post if a guide was compiled that was up to date (I know dashcamman is doing just that, but unfortunately his hasn't quite been updated yet, doesn't discuss where to buy from, and doesn't discuss the millions of clones that each model has).

One option is to buy whatever you can find locally, cheap, as a starter camera. Use it for a few weeks to get a feel for what you are looking for. Video quality won't be the best but it won't be that bad. Then in a few weeks buy what you really need based on the trial. I found my dash cam on the shelf at a local computer store and bought it sight unseen. Fortunately the computer store did their homework and stocked a decent 720p no-name unit.

Eh, it's okay. If I don't like the cam, I can just sell it, i really don't consider that a hassle as I do a lot of ebay selling, craigslist, etc. If it doesn't work out, I can sell it for market value and worst case scenario, have paid a $3 'rental fee' (ie shipping).

Edit: GT350w for $87
I'm PM'ing the seller to see if I can get it in black instead of ugly gold or blue.

Otherwise, I'll go for the aliexpress gt450 $105

Last edited:
I don't get it. To prove you weren't speeding or something when an incident occurs? Because isn't it questionable for courts to accept it, and secondly I speed a little like most drivers, ie 5-10 over. I mean I have a speedometer. I don't drive buses though, it's just for a car.

Sorry, I got the impression you drove various vehicles and the vertical windshield suggested a bus. Anyways a commercial driver might have to answer to their supervisor about a complaint about speeding. While not strong evidence for court it might be sufficient to argue a case with the supervisor.

...I understand these are basic questions but jeez, why is something only ~$50 so complicated. I don't think anything besides a car or house/investment takes as much research...

Good point. For the days, weeks? I've spent researching web cams I could have just bought half a dozen including top end ones and gotten back to work, and still be ahead. I think it's because there are so many choices, so many compromises, and because most are bought from overseas it isn't practical to send the units back if they don't work or return them if not satisfied. For any other $100 purchase, I don't think I agonized so much over a purchase.

What is needed is another list, one that's efficiently short. "Use this list if you just want to buy a decent dash cam in your price range in the next 5 minutes. For $50-$80, buy this one, for $81-$110, buy this one, for $111 to ...., etc. You won't go wrong with these choices".

the problem with that is it's not just price that's a consideration, features also, how it's mounted, powered, performance, accessories etc etc

what you may want in a camera may mean nothing to the next person, even if price isn't an issue there's no one size fits all device unfortunately, I wish sometimes there was then I'd only have to try and make that product, of course the trouble is then that everyone would be trying to make that product, choice is a good things though, you can't be all things to all people

Belial88 said:
Oh... okay, so basically not for capturing an incident, but more as an alibi. I'm not worried about complaints about my driving. So... I'll get the smallest sd card possible.
The cheap cameras will typically write Motion JPEG and can fill up a 4GB card in less than 30 minutes. If the incident knocks you out and the camera keeps running you could risk loosing the evidence.
Belial88 said:
I'm aware that you need a class 10 card like every resource says,
Class 4 or 6 will do for most dashcams.
Belial88 said:
what I don't know, is the many class 10 cards that despite being class 10, don't work well, and that certain cards work much better for unknown reasons (just like any NAND),
The manufacturer of the AMON SIV H7 cameras I sell said incompatibilities were often caused by hostcontroller and SD controller not communicating correctly. He also provided me with a compatibility list, don't have it anymore, but I remember half the list was Transcend cards. With other hostcontrollers the list would probably be different.

^ I think there's a compiled thread on SD cards for GT cams: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....tech-gt300w-sd-card-compatibility.1600/page-4 But it's far from comprehensive.

The cheap cameras will typically write Motion JPEG and can fill up a 4GB card in less than 30 minutes. If the incident knocks you out and the camera keeps running you could risk loosing the evidence.

I believe GT cams have g-sensors so it'll keep the knock-out incident, and a bystander will see the cam or something, or the power will be shut off in such an incident. I'm okay with that, ie 30 min. That said, I see a 32gb gskill for ~$19. I mean I'll shop around (16gb i see are like $13+ so it's not a huge difference in price).

Last edited by a moderator:
i´d say go for a Legit GT300W or so.

it´s a good cam. mine ls300w (brother) been running stable last months whitout complains

the problem with that is it's not just price that's a consideration, features also, how it's mounted, powered, performance, accessories etc etc

Hi Jokiin,
Yeah, I wrote that mostly in jest, there are so many considerations even a "buy this" list likely won't help. The list on the Dash Cam comparison page already presents the best buys in each price ranges yet I kept going back and forth. But as Belial88 says, it's hard to think of another purchase in the $100 range that's taken as long.

Best advice for people who are new to dash cameras world is to take time ( let's say 1-2 weeks ), read every day couple hours going through forum, only after that can get some understanding about all major points that are needed to be consider when buying a dash camera.
Otherwise it will get too messy to start explaining for every newbie from A to Z what is what, why, etc.
There are more answers on this forum than newbie can ask.

The dash cam comparison is an awesome list, but it's not updated. I know he's currently updating it, so threads like this hopefully won't be necessary in about a week. But his list discludes a lot of features like motion sensor and the dimensions which allow for a clearer case by case comparison, and doesn't discuss clones and where to best purchase from.

Best advice for people who are new to dash cameras world is to take time ( let's say 1-2 weeks ), read every day couple hours going through forum, only after that can get some understanding about all major points that are needed to be consider when buying a dash camera.

I've spent more than that, and expecting ~50 hours of research is a little insane, most people don't have that much time. I think I'm pretty informed now on which cam to get, but I'm still having a ton of difficulty understanding which clones to get and which to avoid. As I understand it, avoid any Givoe, Shadow, or 'Neutral' model, but there seems to be a lot of exceptions, made further unclear by a few people posting misinformation (I mean no fault of their own, info is unclear on new releases posted from unclear sources who's video quality and bitrate have been affected by upload site, method, etc).

I've narrowed my choices down to:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1216264434.html
GT350w for $89 shipped

aliexpress gt450 $105
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1241988425.html

But I want to confirm with the GT350w seller that I can get it in black, otherwise I'll go for the 450.

As far as I know the GT350W was never made in black, just gold-ish and blue.

The dash cam comparison is an awesome list, but it's not updated. I know he's currently updating it, so threads like this hopefully won't be necessary in about a week. But his list discludes a lot of features like motion sensor and the dimensions which allow for a clearer case by case comparison, and doesn't discuss clones and where to best purchase from.

I've spent more than that, and expecting ~50 hours of research is a little insane, most people don't have that much time. I think I'm pretty informed now on which cam to get, but I'm still having a ton of difficulty understanding which clones to get and which to avoid. As I understand it, avoid any Givoe, Shadow, or 'Neutral' model, but there seems to be a lot of exceptions, made further unclear by a few people posting misinformation (I mean no fault of their own, info is unclear on new releases posted from unclear sources who's video quality and bitrate have been affected by upload site, method, etc).

I've narrowed my choices down to:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1216264434.html
GT350w for $89 shipped

aliexpress gt450 $105
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1241988425.html

But I want to confirm with the GT350w seller that I can get it in black, otherwise I'll go for the 450.

There is nothing wrong with Givoe, Shadow, Aliexpress etc. They all sell entry level / mid-range / higher class dash cameras. Most important is to understand the rule: "what you pay is what you get".
"neutral" vf300w worth of money. G1W and G2W, also worth what you pay and so on. All those dash cameras are not overpriced, at least GIvoe, Foxoffer, Saddle etc, - they all have dash caemras priced correctly.
Shadow-Tec / Seezeus products have reputation as stron reputation ( price vs quality ). Also TioTech made gt300w as well has a strong reputation history.
I am always encouraging people to add this very little summ of 30 usd ( if someone chosing between 70 usd model and 100 usd ) and get better product, with better video quality and has better user rating history.
To be cheap toward yourself by saving 30usd on choosing cheaper model, - is not worth your nerveus in future, when ( if ) things start going wrong, video not that good, bracket mount get loosen, etc.

I can see you have 100 usd budget and within this price range you picked a gt450w, - is good choice if form factor is OK for you. Other than form-factor, from performance point of view gt450W is similar to TioTech gt300W, dod ls300W and other original shadown tec GT-series. I guess you probably read my overview in gt450W thread, it is interesting that at night in some very rare cases it performed slightly better than original dod ls300w.

Seller FTW you found cheapest gt450w , - is not widely known to this forum.
My advice not to be cheap by 1-2 usd and buy from reputable seller like Saddle or Foxoffer ( last one has strong feedback on this forum ).
If you still chasing for every penny, then write to Foxoffer, show them other seller link and ask if they can match the price, but knowing that they all do business on very low margins, I would not attack them with 1-2 usd question. I know they deserve to be paid more then other cheapest seller advertising same product. For this 1-2 usd you pay more to Foxoffer, you will get confidence. Don't want to say anything bad about FTW seller, - he is unknown and therefore I can not commend how good or bad his service is.

Back