Cloud in the car

M Basta

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Mobius in my daily driver has been running strong for almost 4 years now. I have an A119 in my other car and that's been doing well too. I am awaiting a good dual cam to hit the market then I'll take the Mobius and move it to the rear of the A119. For ip home security, I bought a Dropcam (now Nest) about 5 years ago and it's still running well and a Canary Cam a couple years ago, which is ok.

But my favorite "cams" might be a couple of old phones I had laying around that I'm currently using as home security cams via a free app called Manything. The app is deep and rich and rivals or exceeds my other two dedicated cams in terms of quality and features. It's basically been flawless in the 5 or so months I've been using it as 24/7 security in my house. The app is free, but if you want extended cloud storage, you have to pay, starting at $3/month for two days cloud storage, which is the one I use. The video is then accessible and downloadable from any device or computer through the cloud.

Anyway, I was thinking about taking one of these phones and placing it my car somewhere, not necessarily to capture the front or rear view (I let the dedicated dashcams do that) but more as a roaming supplemental device that can be used in whatever need-be cases, whether for parking or angled for a conversation with a cop, or inside the cabin or taken out of the car for a particular encounter/incident etc. Since I have free tethering on my main phone, I could easily configure it to auto-connect to the cloud whenever I start the car and it finds my phone, or, it can be set to record onto the device itself (which I've wiped clean of all apps and data so it has almost 64gb of space), continuous or motion based, and then auto-upload to the cloud whenever it finds a connection, cell or wifi. It has a preset loop recording process where it deletes the oldest on-board video if the disk is full, though that length is not user definable.

Any thoughts on this or anyone who's tried something similar? Again, not as a main dashcam, but as a "roaming" 1080p+ backup device with robust cloud-based features, essentially for $3/mo and an old phone. Brief video on the app below, which btw, I have nothing to do with or the company. I'm just impressed with their product.

Last edited:
Back