Compatible SD cards??

I've just formatted my new 64GB microSD to fat32 with cluster size of 32k and copied the Blackvue folder to it.

Will try it out in the blackvue 500 tomorrow and hope it works.. :)

Thanks Duke!

I will try it when free :)

Hi guys, thanks for the sharing here.

I started using the 64GB yesterday and it is working well so far.. :)

So far !!!!!!!

Yes Hillbilly, so far.. haha.

I understand that there were several users here that have used a 64GB card for one to two years without any problem, some seems to have a shorter lifespan. I hope mine will holds up.

Although I am very new to dash cam and am also not technically savvy, I am very interested in the many possibilities discussed in this forum and I am keen to try some of it myself.

Well, last week I tried formatting a 64 GB micro SDXC using the formatting tool. I did a full format, not a quick format. I think it formatted extFAT32, and the only choice for cluster size was 32. Anyway, I then copied all of my Blackvue files from the original micro SD onto it, and then installed it into my Blackvue. Everything works fine in the Blackvue. But when I take it out of the Blackvue and put it into an Android tablet, or back into my PC, none of them can read the card and they tell me it needs to be formatted. If I put it back into the Blackvue, everything is fine. How can I fix this?

By formatting it properly in FAT32 NOT EXFAT

Which formatting tool did you use SDformatter wont do a 64 Gb card

Then download and install a version of the firmware on the card and put it in the camera

I've been following this thread with interest and decided to post my findings, although my unit is the HD550 on firmware 1.021

I purchased a 64gb card which was already formatted to FAT32 but decided to format it again anyway, it then decided it was a 32gb card so I formatted it with HPUSB disk which doesn't seem to offer a cluster size adjustment, following this the card was a 64gb again. Anyway I got tired formatting it at 2hrs a time and just put it in the unit, the 'initialising SD card' message came, followed by the 'safe driving' message and its been working happily ever since.
So I didn't have to pre-install anything on the card, just freshly format it and away.
Maybe the latest firmware has addressed any previous problems.

I've been following this thread with interest and decided to post my findings, although my unit is the HD550 on firmware 1.021

I purchased a 64gb card which was already formatted to FAT32 but decided to format it again anyway, it then decided it was a 32gb card so I formatted it with HPUSB disk which doesn't seem to offer a cluster size adjustment, following this the card was a 64gb again. Anyway I got tired formatting it at 2hrs a time and just put it in the unit, the 'initialising SD card' message came, followed by the 'safe driving' message and its been working happily ever since.
So I didn't have to pre-install anything on the card, just freshly format it and away.
Maybe the latest firmware has addressed any previous problems.

When you put it in the camera and it initialized it IT FORMATTED IT and it will now be a 32GB card as that's all the camera will recognize when formatting.

I would be extremely surprised if it turns out different because others have done this and that's what has happened

I have no idea how to check if this card is genuine or not, its a Sandisk, I bought it from a supplier I used before and have had no problems with, I would welcome any help as to check its authenticity.

My camera said nothing about formatting the card, it just went through its normal cycle of initialising sd card then safe driving messages. When I pulled the card it shows as 59gb on the pc and having been run for a day in the camera and is only about half full of video. I drive between 9-11 hours per day. If I remove the card at the end of a day, with the 32gb the recording from the start of the day have been written over, but the 64gb card still has recordings from yesterday on it. A lot of the comments on this thread are about the HD500, mine is the HD550.
Maybe its something to do with the latest firmware?

Last edited:
I have no idea how to check if this card is genuine or not, its a Sandisk, I bought it from a supplier I used before and have had no problems with, I would welcome any help as to check its authenticity.

My camera said nothing about formatting the card, it just went through its normal cycle of initialising sd card then safe driving messages. When I pulled the card it shows as 59gb on the pc and having been run for a day in the camera and is only about half full of video. I drive between 9-11 hours per day. If I remove the card at the end of a day, with the 32gb the recording from the start of the day have been written over, but the 64gb card still has recordings from yesterday on it. A lot of the comments on this thread are about the HD500, mine is the HD550.
Maybe its something to do with the latest firmware?

Read what I wrote

If you put a blank card in the camera and it says INITIALISING it is FORMATTING the card prior to loading files on it from inside the camera.
It cant format it to more than 32GB .

That why you have to use something like GUI format and then load the firmware onto the card and put it in the camera. Otherwise the camera will load what it has in it onto the card after it has formatted it.

To test for genuine card use H2testw 1.4 Will take about 3 hours to fully test a 64g card

I did read what you wrote, but the fact remains that I inserted a 64gb card into my camera and it is working perfectly as a 64gb card, surprised or not, this is a fact.

Just as an update to this...... I bought an Integral 64gb memory card, formatted to FAT32 and had the same experience, its working perfectly.
I’ve also run the H2testw 1.4 on both cards, the Integral is perfect but the SanDisk is showing that it may have a dodgy sector but they are both defiantly 64gb cards, and when I pull them from the camera they have 59gb worth of video on them. So as I said before maybe the latest firmware on my unit has been updated to allow bigger cards, I don’t know, what I do know is that my unit works perfectly with 64gb cards.

Last edited:
I successfully formatted a Lexar 64GB micro SDHC10 as FAT32 with 32k cluster size using Mac and it is working fine with my Blackvue. If you are a Mac user the steps below might be useful.
  • Fire up a Terminal
  • Find the IDENTIFIER of your SD card using "diskutil list" in Terminal. It might be, for example, "disk1"
  • Type the following in the Terminal
    sudo newfs_msdos -v BLACKVUE -c 32 -F 32 /dev/disk1
    (take care of case sensitivity, provide your admin password if asked for)
  • If you get a message that the resource is busy, unmount the disk using
    diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1 and try again
Alternately, you could also use the script below.

Copy the following code into a plain text file, for example: sdformat32.sh

#!/bin/sh

# This script is for formatting SD cards of at least 4GB
# It formats them as FAT32 with 32K cluster size
#
# Argument 1: Device inside /dev to be formatted, eg.: disk99
# Argument 2: Volume name for the partition, eg: UNTITLED

if [ $# -ne 2 ]
then
echo Usage: sdformat32 diskname volumename
exit 1
fi

disk=/dev/"$1"
partition=/dev/r"$1"s1
volume=$2

echo This will DESTROY $disk. Are you sure? "(y/n)"
read yn
if [ $yn == 'y' ]
then
echo Partitioning $disk with volume name $volume ...
diskutil partitionDisk $disk 1 MBRFormat MS-DOS $volume 3G

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo Unmounting $disk ...
diskutil unmountDisk $disk

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo Fixing and optimizing partition ...
sudo newfs_msdos -v $volume -c 32 -F 32 $partition

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo Mounting $disk in case you want to write to it ...
echo Do not forget to eject the drive before removing it!
diskutil mountDisk $disk

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo Done
else
echo The disk was formatted but could not be mounted!
exit 6
fi
else
echo Could not reformat the partition!
exit 5
fi
else
echo Could not unmount volume!
exit 4
fi
else
echo Could not partition disk!
exit 3
fi
else
echo Aborting. Nothing done
exit 2
fi
exit 0

Save it in a directory in your PATH, or execute by giving its full path, or change directory to where it's saved and execute, for example:

./sdformat32.sh disk1 BLACKVUE

where disk1 is the SD card disk identifier without the "/dev/" and "BLACKVUE" is the volume label (you could chose your own)

DISCLAIMER: I do not provide any guarantee against data loss (for example, if you provide the wrong disk identifier etc.).
The original source of the script is http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6501603&postcount=13

Last edited:
Does the DR400G (first version) support 64GB SDXC card?
Also, by formatting the 64gb to fat32, does this reduce the capacity?

Unless someone here thinks it's not going to work, I'm looking to purchase a 128GB MicroSD for my DR550GW 2ch

Format will be FAT32 and I'm going to use alexsoll's custom firmware 1.4

The card is PNY (MLC chip), 40MB/read, 20MB/write
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OP2P0ZO

Last edited:
Thanks, he responded on the Russian message board to format as FAT32

My research shows that Transcend and Lexar are the top brands and to avoid anything faster than 300x. If anyone has any experience with PNY microSD's and their blackvue, please let me know. I'm looking to avoid any SD card errors and leave it be

EDIT: 128GB card ordered. I'll test it out and report the results both here and on the Russian board

Last edited:
I have a Samsung 64GB card and it is working fine. The specs from Pittasoft say that 64GB is the maximum, though I'd think 128GB should work. I'll be interested in your findings.

I am happy to report that the 128GB MicroSD has been working perfectly the last few days in my DR550GW

Instructions to setup:
-Format the card as fat32, 32kb cluster size with GUIFormat (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe)
-Insert the SD into the camera to initialize
-For me, timestamp was wrong after the recordings started so I brought the card back to my computer and deleted any files in the "Recordings" folder
-Insert the SD card again to the camera and GPS time will be fixed

I'll continue to monitor the data to ensure there's no issues with the recordings

Info on the card for those interested:
PNY High Performance 128GB High Speed microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 up to 40MB/sec Flash Memory Card
Model#: P-SDUX128U1-GE
Type of SD: MLC chipset
Price Paid: $79.99 (was on sale on Amazon.com)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OP2P0ZO
ZCvnTQi.jpg

Last edited:
Back