Compatible SD cards??

rockyrr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR500GW-HD
I want to buy a micro 32GB SD card for my DR500GW-HD dash cam. Exactly what type of SD card should I be looking for that works with my cam, and where is a good place to buy one?

I ask this because I've found that there are differences and not all will function properly with all devices (photo cams, video cams, etc.).

Thanks,
Rocky

Class 10 would be fine.
Running also Sandisc Ultra 32GB and switching to Ultra 64GB soon.

linni said:
Class 10 would be fine.
Running also Sandisc Ultra 32GB and switching to Ultra 64GB soon.
I dont think BV can support up to 64GB. According from the user manual, it show max 32GB. Please correct me if i am wrong :D

BTW, i am using samsung class 10 32GB. So far so good, but when i take out the card from my BV, it is very hot. I am wondering how long can the card last?

Memory cards are deemed consumable items. I would expect to get a year out of them. But you may have some for years and have no problems. I just wouldn't be too shocked if one went bad and you had to replace.

jokiin said:
are SDXC cards supported?
Dscheng said:
I dont think BV can support up to 64GB. According from the user manual, it show max 32GB. Please correct me if i am wrong :D

By default, SDXC cards are not supported. Blackvue recognizes FAT filesystem but not exFAT, the SDXC cards use.
So you need to reformat memory card. Microsoft is sure, that this kind of action is impossible. But it`s not.
All you need is a simple program like this:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Har ... Tool.shtml
Just do not forget to set the cluster size to 32kb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, folks, thanks for all the helpful feedback. I was surprised to learn that SD cards are considered "consumables".

Silly question:
I have the new DR500 Blackvue with 16GB factory micro card.
If I will replace it with 32 GB and format it inside the camera will I have to download card content? If yes where I can download? Mine is english version.
thanks

Simple, just plug in your new microSD into your cam. Press and hold on WIFI button for 10 sec. It will auto format your new card.

I think what happens is once you insert a formatted SD card in your camera and then supply power (12V) it then automatically loads the software onto your card.

Upgraded to 64GB memory card, so far so good.

If you format the SD card by using the camera, it will also add all the factory files to the disk.

linni said:
Upgraded to 64GB memory card, so far so good.

Interesting, and I'm excited to hear this. Has the recorder totally filled the disk? Have you tried formatting the card in the camera and then checking to see on your computer if the card was formatted to it's full (or nearly) capacity?

I hope it does work and if so, I'll upgrade also.

Thanks for taking the jump on this.

I formatted it in computer. First from exFAT to NTFS in Windows and then to FAT32 with Guiformat tool:
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D
At some stage it showed up like a 32GB card but no worry, Guiformat did the job.
Also be ready to use proper hardware - I used A-Data Expresscard cardreader.
And use the cluster size 32 kB (32768 B).

It shows free space something 59+ GB so I don`t see any reason Blackvue would behave differently than computer. Will give a look after a week - I usually drive only about 2 hours a day and it takes some time to fill the card.

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to your follow-up to see if the BV uses the full disk.

linni said:
I formatted it in computer. First from exFAT to NTFS in Windows and then to FAT32 with Guiformat tool:
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D
At some stage it showed up like a 32GB card but no worry, Guiformat did the job.
Also be ready to use proper hardware - I used A-Data Expresscard cardreader.
And use the cluster size 32 kB (32768 B).

It shows free space something 59+ GB so I don`t see any reason Blackvue would behave differently than computer. Will give a look after a week - I usually drive only about 2 hours a day and it takes some time to fill the card.
So does it really work on 64GB? Because 64GB class 10 microSD card is not cheap.

64 gb work without problems
Only need to format the device that supports this type of card
Do not format the DVR

Mio said:
64 gb work without problems
Only need to format the device that supports this type of card
Do not format the DVR

Glad to hear the 64GB worked.

To clarify your last post, are you saying to format the SD card using the computer and do not format it using the DVR?

64GB formatted FAT32 with 12KB clusters will work just fine. The main limitation is 4GB max file size, but I doubt any video clip can approach that maximum single file size at even 3 minute clips at an insane bitrate.

Back