Concerns about heat issues with the BlackVue DR900S-2CH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
none
I ordered a BlackVue DR900S-2CH yesterday from thedashcamstore.com after research and looking at the review from Vortex Radar on YouTube.

Now, I am suffering from buyer's remorse after seeing that people are having heat issues with it in parking mode.

I had been considering the Street Guardian SG9663DC, Vico-Opia2 or (Vico- OPia1) , and the VIOFO A119S, but after seeing the Vortex Radar's YouTube video, I looked more closely at the BlackVue DR900S-2CH, and based upon it's excellent daytime video quality, I purchased it from thedashcamstore.com. Thedashcamstore.com had a July to 4th 10% off promotion.

Now I'm wandering if I made a mistake and will end up with a dash cam that cannot be used in parking mode during the daytime in the summer here in Virginia.

Knowing that this is a newer dash cam, do you guys think that this is an issue that can be worked out with firmware upgrades?

Thanks.

That's interesting because I've come from a opia2 with all the additional accessories and decided to get the DR900S-2CH.

I live in Australia, but I've not been able to test the temperature tolerance because it's winter here. I think firmware can only change the temperature cut off point or thermal protection. I'd say to reduce the temperature it would need a hardware modification, but I might be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm also really disappointed in the 900s shutting down due to heat. I even had mine replaced hoping it was just my unit but the replacement is also shutting down due to it's heat tolerance (or lack thereof). I've had the replacement shut down even when inside the car running with the air conditioning going (outside temp was 94F). I bought this cam specifically for the parking mode real time notifications.

In my personal experience and reading up on it, Blackvue have always had a problem with overheating. I suspect that part of the problem might be because they feed it with 12V and as the rear cam supply is 5V and I suspect the main cam runs at 5V as well. This means that the 12-5V converter is in the camera itself which in itself will generate unnecessary heat. Perhaps they should have done as some other cams dio and have the 12V to 5V converter external to the cam itself.

One of the problem with overheating is definitely the wrong micro sd

the problem of overheating and freezes at times disappeared with this samsung pro endurance card

Last edited:
Reactions: RLS
I live in Florida and it gets plenty hot, (and humid) here. I have never had my DR900S shut down even during the hottest days. The other day I was parked outside when the temperature reached 97 degrees but the camera was still running even after 10 hours of sitting under the sun. I did have my windows opened slightly to vent some of the heat from the interior of the car.

I live in Florida and it gets plenty hot, (and humid) here. I have never had my DR900S shut down even during the hottest days. The other day I was parked outside when the temperature reached 97 degrees but the camera was still running even after 10 hours of sitting under the sun. I did have my windows opened slightly to vent some of the heat from the interior of the car.
What sdcard do you use?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I use the BlackVue sd card.

Is the camera in direct sun when it overheats?

Yes, it is in an open parking lot.

What sd card are you using?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ugh... So am I. The 128gb. Wonder if my camera is just a lemon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Where did you purchase your camera from?

When our summer arrives, it will hit 43 degrees centigrade - that will be my test!

hmm, it makes a little sense that if you are using a high performance U3 card, it might cause extra heat. I'll buy a Samsung Endurance and test it out

Back