Continue to record for a few more minutes after switching off engine

Momoko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my Mobius camera installed for about 5 months now and it's pretty decent apart from a few minor things. I'm using the supercapacitor and set it to record as soon as the car's ignition is switched to and turns off immediately as soon as I switch off the car. This arrangement is fine except that if I was to be in involved in an accident, I would still want to capture the next few minutes of video where I would no doubt be talking to the other driver in front of the car. For obvious legal and safety reasons, I would have to switch off the engine after an accident especially if it was a serious one, this will of course, immediately turn off the Mobius.

The question is, does anyone have a solution to my proposal? I would probably to have to use some sort of timer relay circuit but would like to see if the community has any tried and tested solutions to keep the camera powered for several more minutes after the car is switched off.

Why not have it running 24/7?
I do that and it works flawlessly.

Well the solution comes built in to the Mobius from the factory, it's called the battery. It will record for another hour by just turning it on, you could even carry the Mobius discreetly with with you and record, something not possible with a cell phone.

This of course is just my opinion. I understand in some places, heat is a concern, to me there is no reason to remove the battery and swap it for Super Caps. I lived in a hot climate and have had the battery installed without issues, I'm just careful most times to remove the cam in hot sunny parking spots.

How do you have it wired in? What you want is power when the ignition is in the ACC or RUN/ON positions. This way if you want to record when you are just outside the car you could just move the key to the ACC position; engine will be off and the power will still be going to the cam. Any thing more than this will take some fancy wiring :)

I wouldn't worry about capturing, what is said after the accident, the way i see it is, if you have your cams setup properly, everything that can be said about the accident, would of been captured by the cam..

I have my camera powered from two sources - one is ignition-switched and the other comes from the battery (through a battery protector). I have a switch in my dash that switches between "engine run" and "always on".

I used to have a circuit I made myself that would keep the cameras running for 30 seconds after the engine switched off but that didn't help in accident situations where you could be talking to the other driver/police/witnesses for up to an hour.

I also have a body cam charging in my center console that I can grab, clip onto my shirt and hit record.

I wouldn't worry about capturing, what is said after the accident, the way i see it is, if you have your cams setup properly, everything that can be said about the accident, would of been captured by the cam..

I will go one step further and say I'd be more worried about what YOU say that what they say. In my recent accident I'm convinced the guy had a voice recorder going as he was talking to me at the end, trying to get me to confess to something that would match his story. "Come on, admit it you were ...."

I will go one step further and say I'd be more worried about what YOU say that what they say. In my recent accident I'm convinced the guy had a voice recorder going as he was talking to me at the end, trying to get me to confess to something that would match his story. "Come on, admit it you were ...."

"recent accident"

Sounds like you have "accidents" often, me i try to avoid them, been driving since i was 16, i am 52 now, never had an accident. ..

Been driving for 25 years. Had 6. Only one was blamed on me - I swerved to avoid a car that ran a stop sign and hit the car next to me - the stop sign runner didn't stop, so I was left to pay for the damages.

I've had three lane-changers hit me, rear-ended at a red light and was hit by a drunk driver who crossed the median.

Been driving for 25 years. Had 6. Only one was blamed on me - I swerved to avoid a car that ran a stop sign and hit the car next to me - the stop sign runner didn't stop, so I was left to pay for the damages.

I've had three lane-changers hit me, rear-ended at a red light and was hit by a drunk driver who crossed the median.

Driving 36 years, "0", accidents, key to success, defensive driving

I don't disagree. The lane changers could have been avoided by spending less time next to them. Although, I have concluded that there's basically no way that defensive driving will stop you getting rear-ended at a red light. Nor having a drunk driver cross the median. The lane changers could have been avoided by spending less time next to them.

Thanks for the messages.

The Mobius is wired into the electric windows circuit which only becomes live when the key is in position 2, which is what the key returns to after ignition. If I turn the key to position 1, to switch off the engine, the Mobius would not receive power hence it's not an option to turn the key back. I do not want to run the camera for 24/7 as I do not consider it necessary and I would not go into that length just for the sake of wanting to continue to record for a short while when the engine is switched off.

From your replies, I guess I'll have to conclude that there isn't a simple way of achieving this.

Great Device, however you'll not be supplying 12v, only 5v eg. How will it be affected?

Back