COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SC has some pretty big urban areas- Charleston, Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson, and Columbia. But much of the State otherwise is rural in nature, which doesn't always equal better for the people in a pandemic. Most rural areas have only one town where the more outlying population goes to, so if that town has an outbreak there's more of a chance that all the people around it will be exposed. This happened here where Columbia, a bigger city, saw our first outbreak along with (I think) Hampton County which is largely rural becoming as bad or worse at the same time :( Here in the tiny town I'm currently living in most of the people work and do a lot of shopping in one of the nearby larger cities where the disease has far higher numbers, yet as best I can tell almost nobody in this small town has had it :) But if it does come around to one of the employees in one of our few stores we are all in big trouble here, since we all go to those places for lack of any better alternatives :cautious:

Phil

859 new infected today, #2 wave is crashing upon the Danish shores, with another all time corona record.

859 new infected today,
Our government has found another way to increase the number of infected people, if your illness lasts 3 weeks and you test positive each of those 3 weeks, you now get counted as three infections, even 2 weeks and 1 day can get counted as three infections, and if the fuzzy logic fails, or you decline to give the information required by the fuzzy logic then you can get counted as several infections in the same week :

Figures are now reported as people tested and people testing positive at least once in the reporting week. People tested or testing positive are only counted once over the 7-day reporting period (Thursday to Wednesday), with a positive test being prioritised over a negative test. A person can be counted within more than one 7-day reporting period. If someone was tested more than once in different reporting weeks, they would be included in the count for all reporting weeks they were tested in.
For example, if a person was tested on Thursday and Friday of the same week, they would only be counted once in the reporting week. However, if someone was tested on Tuesday and Friday of the same week, that individual would be counted in 2 reporting periods, as the 2 tests fall into different 7-day reporting periods.
If someone had both a positive and a negative result in the same week, only the positive case would be counted, with the result being counted in pillar associated with the positive result.
When de-duplicating within the reporting period, people have been matched using a fuzzy matching process.
For pillar 1, data is collected by the hospital, and is then enriched using patient records. For pillar 2, this data is collected when people register for a test and is voluntary, which means that people have the option not to provide their information. Note that for age, a person may fall into more than one age group if their age has changed between reporting weeks in which they were tested. The totals provided for people tested and people testing positive in the demographic tables will not always align one age group if their age has changed between reporting weeks in which they were tested.
For pillar 1 testing statistics, reporting refers to activity between:
  • midnight on the first day of reporting and 11:59pm on the last day for England
  • 9am on the first day of reporting and 9am on the last day for Northern Ireland
  • 8am on the first day of reporting and 8am on the last day for Scotland
  • 1pm on the first day of reporting and 1pm on the last day for Wales

It is not just France and UK that have vastly more "positive" tests without vastly more deaths, the whole of Europe=
Ek71KJeXYAAXYnn

BTW i am now forced to wear a mouth diaper when shopping,,,,,,, but first i will have to buy one.

What about Donald Trump's quoted Tweets regarding the COVID-19 crisis do you find childish?
Everything about the current campaign has been childish - from both sides.

Everything about the current campaign has been childish - from both sides.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but I can understand where you are coming from.

So, you really believe Donald J. Trump's Presidential leadership with his handling of the COVID-19 crisis has been praise worthy?

I don't necessarily agree with you, but I can understand where you are coming from.

So, you really believe Donald J. Trump's Presidential leadership with his handling of the COVID-19 crisis has been praise worthy?
I never said, or even implied, that so don't try to put words in my mouth or attribute something to me that's not the case.

Do you really believe that the leadership of any country should be decided on a single issue?

Do you really believe that the leadership of any country should be decided on a single issue?
Actually I do. The single issue should be a person's intelligence, and in that all the electable candidates have failed for a long, long time already :cry:

Phil

I never said, or even implied, that so don't try to put words in my mouth or attribute something to me that's not the case.

The web page I linked to factually states that the Trump administration has had no comprehensive plan to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

It then provides 13 documented direct quotes from Donald Trump about the COVID pandemic in the US wherein he denies the problems exists, says that it will go away, makes numerous demonstrably false statements, blames others, asserts that he takes no responsibility for the situation, admits directly that he wanted to downplay the severity of the crisis, and suggests that injecting household disinfectant might be a solution to treating the disease.

You replied that this was childish.

My comment was directed more at the childishness being demonstrated.

Why do you characterize this as childish?

That should be the decision of individual voters, and different voters may choose a different single issue, although with so many important issues at stake I doubt that many voters will decide on purely a single issue:
  • Leaving the WHO (World Health Organisation),
  • Leaving the Paris Climate Change agreement,
  • Leaving NATO in the next term,
  • Leaving the WTO (World Trade Organisation), or at least ignoring the rules on trade agreements,
  • Unilaterally rewriting the international space agreements
  • Leaving nuclear weapons reduction treaties.
Although the USA media doesn't seem to have been discussing most of these issues in any detail during the election debate!

The web page I linked to factually states that the Trump administration has had no comprehensive plan to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Clearly he has had a pretty consistent plan from the start, you have described it well in the rest of your post!

Well, it really depends on the particular "issue".

As of today nearly 230,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 in the last eight months. Dr. Anthony Fauci has said that another 300,000 to 400,000 may die in the months going forward unless precautions are taken to adequately deal with this "issue". Already, Covid-19 has killed more people in the US than Americans killed in battle during the five most recent wars combined: the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf War. Some calculate the figure using World War I, 9/11 & Vietnam War combined so it depends upon which wars and mass casualty events you'd like to include. If Dr. Fauci is correct we could add the American death toll of WWII to the list above and we are talking months not years like in the wars cited.

It is in times of grave national crisis when citizens look to their leaders for clearheaded solutions, resolve, guidance, empathy, strength, unity and power.

Examples from history include George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi, etc.

COVID-19 has been the "issue" of our time as it is the greatest world crisis in a generation(s) but many world leaders, especially Donald J. Trump have been sorely lacking in these vital qualities.

So yes, leadership, indeed history itself, is often decided over a "single issue".

Last edited:
So yes, leadership, indeed history itself, is often decided over a "single issue".
I would submit that leadership has little to no bearing on the infection rate of Covid but rather it's the abysmal stupidity of the populace that's the issue.

Michigan had some of, if not the most, restrictive Covid containment policies of any state and they were working. Unfortunately the population took issue with the working measures and had them lifted by court order. The infection and fatality rates are now as high or higher than at any time since the pandemic began because the masses have decided they're going to do damn well what they want rather than what they know works.

The problem is not with the head of the dog but with the tail.

I would submit that leadership has little to no bearing on the infection rate of Covid but rather it's the abysmal stupidity of the populace that's the issue.

Michigan had some of, if not the most, restrictive Covid containment policies of any state and they were working. Unfortunately the population took issue with the working measures and had them lifted by court order. The infection and fatality rates are now as high or higher than at any time since the pandemic began because the masses have decided they're going to do damn well what they want rather than what they know works.

The problem is not with the head of the dog but with the tail.

Claiming that leadership has no bearing on managing the COVID pandemic seems a lame, incorrect, cop-out answer. You could make the same claim that leadership has no bearing on the public response to any natural disaster, war or public crisis but it wouldn't be true.

While you do have angry, highly partisan armed extremist militimen invading your Statehouse displaying swastikas and hangman's nooses and now other criminal domestic terrorist fanatics planning to kidnap and possibly murder your Governor because they disagree with her efforts to ameliorate the problem, Michigan is a particularly appalling example of what happens when extreme partisan politics reach the stage where people act out like that and ignore common sense public health measures during a health emergency.

Here in Vermont we've had superb leadership during the pandemic from our Republican Governor and his bipartisan team of public officials and experts. While not everyone is always in agreement we have a tradition here in Vermont of cooperation for the public good during a crisis or natural disaster and people have responded well to clear, calm, measured guidance from our state leaders. Across the political spectrum Governor Scott and his team have received accolades for their mature, open, measured, logical responses to the crisis, their adherence to the scientific facts, their flexibility to adjusting course when new facts and periodic spikes present themselves, their planning and anticipation of futures events, their overall open and supportive guidance to the public and their absolute refusal to allow politics to enter into the equation. Even during a hotly contested election season Governor Phil Scott has declined to campaign, instead claiming to be focusing his efforts on the pandemic response which as he has explained in detail are rather complex. Just today he released the state's plan for distributing a vaccine to the public which is now in place among the various responsible state agencies and ready for whenever a vaccine becomes available along with clear priorities for who will receive the vaccine first. One of his criteria for approval of the public release of a vaccine is that it must be "absolutely free from politics".

People respond well to this kind of leadership and the result has been that our infection rate and death rate is one of the lowest in the nation. Good leadership does make a difference.

We see this to a large degree around the world. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand is a shinning example, as is Angela Merkel of Germany (a scientist) and Tsai Ing-wen, the president of Taiwan, who has presided over one of the most successful efforts in the world at containing the virus.

It is in fact the divisive "leadership" we see from Donald Trump and his ilk that foments the shocking and destructive behaviors we are witnessing in Michigan and elsewhere around the country. When you have a Republican President of the United States encouraging his followers to chant "Lock Her Up" as he has with Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer (as he also did with Hillary Clinton and others) and to vilify her efforts to protect the public during a health emergency because he sees her as a political opponent it leads to the appalling partisan and outright criminal and dangerous behaviors we have witnessed in Michigan. Leadership does indeed matter, especially during an infectious disease crisis and poor leadership is a disservice to American citizens under any circumstances. It doesn't have to be this way.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back