COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only assume that they do know, but still in some EU countries you can get more money for doing nothing, than you could ever earn at home, and believe me i do understand people want to make things better for them self.

I want all people to enjoy the same things i enjoy, but what i enjoy now is fought for and paid for by my ancestors generations back,,,,, or really you dont have to go that far back, in the 60ties the Danish welfare state as it is now, well back then we had nothing like now.
So you can argue i think that what Danes enjoy now are accumulated in just the past 5-6 decades
No, here you are wrong, my fellow citizens who work abroad, most of them do hard work, the work that the native citizens do not do.
Times are changing, no country is doing well, no country has the standard of living of yesteryear... we are approaching the end of an era. Climat changing and this pandemic accelerate the problems.
That's why it's better together than separated. My 2 cents.
This Union wasn't thought as a conglomerate of separate countries, but as a single bigger country.

I have seldom heard the language, but i have seen the writing, and that nearly gave me a stroke. :eek:
Do not go to Ireland for good spelling.
Mary is spelled Maire not meaning a female horse a mare.
Shawn is spelled Sean I have seen Shawn.

Why the Irish spell names so differently I do not know.
I asked a Maire how to pronounce her name as I thought it might be Marie with a typo on the name badge. :geek:

Yes many Danes do not want to do those jobs, but the people that come here to do those jobs should get proper Danish wages ASO, i would hate if your people are treated as slaves here, that would make me very angry.
And i am aware it do happen to some degree.
The trade unions are the ones that should make sure no one are dumped on the Danish work market, but sadly the trade unions here have lost all of their validity, at least in my eyes.
My trade union when i walked in there, everyone scuttled like ****roaches in the light of a flashlight. :mad:

When it is converted into English spelling then I can normally read it fine.
I am still waiting for the Courts to convert their documents into the language that is used by the people.
I can not read Court rules and such because they are written to confuse instead of to enlighten.

There is indeed a lingo all of its own in courts or for that matter also in contracts, TBH it is a bit appalling and it make me suspicious of things as they are.
I must insist on simple and strait forward.

I have seldom heard the language, but i have seen the writing, and that nearly gave me a stroke. :eek:
I doubt you will understand anything! Even though I can understand another "celtic" language, I don't understand a word of spoken Irish Gaelic. Although once the spelling is converted into English spelling, I can often understand the meaning of place names since there are a lot of shared words with the Brythonic languages.

Why the Irish spell names so differently I do not know.
Just different spelling rules, which you have to learn, remembering that they have quite a few sounds which simply don't exist in non-celtic languages.

Also remember that Irish Gaelic is far older than English, English goes back a few hundred years, written Gaelic goes back to the 4th century that we know about.

It's called the UK variant because we detected it first, in Kent.

Kent is where we have dingies and boats full of illegal immigrants, from France (EU), who do very little to stop it, arriving almost daily, now in their thousands and disappearing 'underground' - coincidence ?

International law states that these, mostly young men, asylum seekers should claim asylum in the first safe country but they seem to travel freely across the EU to get to the UK.

This is CLASSIC xenophobia! Your conclusion is based on prejudice rather than logic or evidence. The amount of genomic testing merely shows the UK to be ground zero for the B.1.1.7 strain, also known as VUI-202012/01. It was first detected on September 20th in Kent and on September 21st in London.

Evidence suggests that the variant evolved in an immunosuppressed individual over a prolonged period of time within the United Kingdom but this is still being investigated.

New Covid strain: Where is the new variant in the UK and where did it come from?

Coronavirus new variant – genomics researcher answers key questions

uk_variant.jpg

Just yesterday i saw the UK mutation mentioned as "the kent" virus or was it mutation, but thats also the first time a useless Danish paper-pusher / clickbaiter have used that term,,,,,,,, anything to enlarge the confusion and fear i recon.

I have never seen the ' in the names.
Most people in England don't know how to type it, so it only ever gets used in handwriting!

The Irish use the same UK keyboard layout and have no difficulty!

I don't think your USA keyboard has an accent key?
Which would make typing the accents rather time consuming, so easy to understand you ignoring them!
And you probably don't know how to read them anyway?

EU is preparing to invoke Lisbon treaty article 122 and take over the pharma companies.

Intellectual property, data and production.

EU is preparing to invoke Lisbon treaty article 122 and take over the pharma companies.

Intellectual property, data and production.
That will make a few headlines o_O

As divisions over access to the vaccines deepen, a glance back at the bloc’s early vaccine tactics seemed to forecast the current row.

Stephane Bancel, the CEO of US biotech company Moderna, warned that by dragging its feet over purchasing its vaccine, the EU would slow down deliveries — and other nations would jump ahead in the queue.

Speaking to the French outlet AFP in November, he explained: “It is clear that with a delay this is not going to limit the total amount but it is going to slow down delivery.”

He said that in contrast, the US reserved 100 million doses back in August.

Negotiations with Canada were also completed after just two weeks.

The EU did say it wouldn't prevent exports of EU produced vaccine for the COVAX scheme?

A couple of days ago, Germany limited the AZ vaccine to under 65s, yesterday France reduced it to 60, today Italy has reduced it to 55:

Apparently an attempt to reduce demand, and thus reduce the shortages!

Last edited:
The Danish vaccines will save the world, when they are ready in 10 months.

Most people in England don't know how to type it, so it only ever gets used in handwriting!

The Irish use the same UK keyboard layout and have no difficulty!

I don't think your USA keyboard has an accent key?
Which would make typing the accents rather time consuming, so easy to understand you ignoring them!
And you probably don't know how to read them anyway?

This sounds like yet another example of your usual passive aggressive USA trolling, but in any event US keyboards do indeed have an accent key ´. In fact, depending on the OS simply pressing the Alt or Option key will evoke an entire hidden keyboard layer of special characters when needed. Beyond that you can quickly access whole libraries of alternative characters, punctuation, math symbols, etc. Even the one you love to hate is available, Latin! :smuggrin:

I use the special character layout regularly here on DCT. For example, I'll use the £ symbol and ƒ/ stop keys on the alternate keyboard layer. At the moment on this cold January morning here in Vermont it is 1º Fahrenheit outside. Most here don't bother with this though and simply type out the word "degree" instead even though it takes longer to do that.

special_character.jpg

charcters.jpg

You can also access any keyboard layout or language you might want on Windows or Mac. But you already know that don't you Nigel. ;)
keyboards.jpg

latin.jpg

Last edited:
but in any event US keyboards do indeed have an acent key ´.
Is that Apple keyboards only?

On my UK PC keyboard, if I want á it is the same number of key presses as A, effectively a 2nd shift key and very quick to use.
I'll use the £ symbol and ƒ/ stop keys on the alternate keyboard layer.
On the 4 key I have $ on shift and € on accent, all marked on the key, although we don't mark á on the A key, thus nobody knows about it!

Also good for things like ®, but only in some applications!

Is that Apple keyboards only?

On my UK PC keyboard, if I want á it is the same number of key presses as A, effectively a 2nd shift key and very quick to use.

On the 4 key I have $ on shift and € on accent, all marked on the key, although we don't mark á on the A key, thus nobody knows about it!

Also good for things like ®, but only in some applications!

Both Windows and Mac will have very similar capabilities built into the operating systems but they are sometimes accessed somewhat differently. On the Mac, pressing the shift key evokes various symbols and capital letters such as the $ sign, parenthesis, *, &, %, @, etc. but as mentioned above pressing the Option key (same as ALT) evokes an entire keyboard of lesser used alternate characters and symbols including such things as the £ key, ®,©, ™, ∞, Ω, etc.. If you select a different keyboard layout and/or language you'll get a whole other range of alternates. Remember, both operating systems are distributed world wide and they have everything they require built right in. It is simply a matter of selecting what you require in order to have them function the way you want with the keyboard of your choice.

As for having the alternates marked on the key, that is also simply a matter of which keyboard you decided to purchase. Such keyboards are certainly available for Macs. Personally, I don't use an Apple brand keyboard but it has everything one could want on either Windows or Mac. It is a bluetooth keyboard that can instantly access three different computers/devices at the touch of a key. So, for example I can switch between my two computers even if one is running Windows and the other is running MacOS and then switch to typing on an iPad, all from one keyboard. Each device OS will determine what each key press evokes on the particular device. Macs do have the handy feature of a virtual keyboard you can evoke that highlights each key as you type including the alternate keys so you can see everything in real time even if the characters are not printed on the keys of your particular physical keyboard.

On this Windows 10 laptop I am currently using you can hold down left ctrl and left alt to get accented characters: á é

On my main PC I actually have an original Ergodox with no letterings, it can switch layers within the hardware. I can touch type good enough, but I am always forgetting where the special characters are, something I've just never got round to sorting out :ROFLMAO:

As for having the alternates marked on the key, that is also simply a matter of which keyboard you decided to purchase.
Not sure which keyboard I would purchase to get áéúíó marked on the keys, I could try a French one, but then I would have difficulty with it not being QWERTY!

I'll stick with the Welsh UK keyboard, that gives me a shift key for the vowels áéíóúẃý, a pre key for àèìòùẁỳ and äëïöüẅÿ, and combination key for âêîôûŵŷ, and they are all on the obvious keys, trying to print all options on top of the keys would make them not readable!

On this Windows 10 laptop I am currently using you can hold down left ctrl and left alt to get accented characters: á é
Yes, that is the way to do it on a US keyboard, on your keyboard you should be able to use the key the other side of the space bar as a shift, no need for three keys at once.

Not sure which keyboard I would purchase to get áéúíó marked on the keys, I could try a French one, but then I would have difficulty with it not being QWERTY!

I'll stick with the Welsh UK keyboard, that gives me a shift key for the vowels áéíóúẃý, a pre key for àèìòùẁỳ and äëïöüẅÿ, and combination key for âêîôûŵŷ, and they are all on the obvious keys, trying to print all options on top of the keys would make them not readable!

Yes, that is the way to do it on a US keyboard, on your keyboard you should be able to use the key the other side of the space bar as a shift, no need for three keys at once.

As I've already tried to explain, all you really need to do is load the keyboard you want to use (at least on a Mac) and pair it with which language you want to use. So, if I wanted a British - PC keyboard I would select it with "English" or "Irish", or perhaps "Canadian English". It could also be a US International keyboard or Danish or Vietnamese or French or whatever and I could simply load it from my system library. In addition (at least on a Mac) one can also configure how each modifier key functions so you don't need to stick with the defaults. As you can see, you can also select which keyboard you want to use with the customized modifier keys.

modifers.jpg

keyboards.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back