COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK data is just in and the AZ jab is also preventing people infecting others.

Hopefully we are on our way.

I'm glad we in the UK broke away from the EU or we would be unable to vaccinate as well.

The UK data is just in and the AZ jab is also preventing people infecting others.

Hopefully we are on our way.

I'm glad we in the UK broke away from the EU or we would be unable to vaccinate as well.
On our way? You bet......
Also, the Pfizer jab is being administered in the UK after emergency approval earlier than the AZ Jab. I do not see the French or VdL saying we approved that one too early. My wife and I had ours on Saturday and have the certificate giving the latest date we should have the second vaccination. We are 78 years old. As a matter of interest, some people in our village have had the AZ jab whilst many others have had the Pfizer.

That is good news, and may be partly why our new cases have dropped 70% over the last month.

Interesting that Israel, which is ahead of us on vaccinations at 60 doses per 100 people, has only seen a very small drop in infections that might have been expected anyway, they are 100% Pfizer vaccine as part of a trial, nothing seems to be published on the Pfizer vaccine actually preventing transmission.

Vaccines v the Covidiots who refuse to lockdown

That is good news, and may be partly why our new cases have dropped 70% over the last month.

Interesting that Israel, which is ahead of us on vaccinations at 60 doses per 100 people, has only seen a very small drop in infections that might have been expected anyway, they are 100% Pfizer vaccine as part of a trial, nothing seems to be published on the Pfizer vaccine actually preventing transmission.

Always amusing Nigel how you constantly speak in terms of who is "winning" and "losing" and who is "ahead"and who is "behind" while always putting a happy talk, boastful spin on what is actually happening in the UK. The fact is that the UK has been in rather dire straights for some time now, with overwhelmed hospitals and among the highest mortality rates in the westernized world! For the time being your mortality rates are still in the process of accelerating! In fact your case fatality rate is 65% higher than even the US and the deaths per 100,000 exceeds the US as well. It is at the top of the list. I suppose by these metrics you could argue that the UK is "winning". :rolleyes:

mortality.jpg

Our problem in the UK is that we have a lot of people who just don't understand what lockdown means. Every week we see mass parties being broken up by Police.

We also have a certain section of society who are refusing or going to refuse the vaccination. They believe anonymous WhatsApp posts over doctors clinical advice.

I have 2 friends who have family members who work in hospitals and they both have said the same that vaccines are being wasted because nurses and healthcare assistants, from the same section of society, are not turning up because of the same false beliefs even though they must have seen what Covid patients are going through.

And, before it's mentioned, we have seen a series of very late Gov decisions.

Our problem in the UK is that we have a lot of people who just don't understand what lockdown means. Every week we see mass parties being broken up by Police.

We also have a certain section of society who are refusing or going to refuse the vaccination. They believe anonymous WhatsApp posts over doctors clinical advice.

I have 2 friends who have family members who work in hospitals and they both have said the same that vaccines are being wasted because nurses and healthcare assistants, from the same section of society, are not turning up because of the same false beliefs even though they must have seen what Covid patients are going through.

And, before it's mentioned, we have seen a series of very late Gov decisions.

Unfortunately, we have more or less the same here. :(

The fact is that the UK has been in rather dire straights for some time now, with overwhelmed hospitals and among the highest mortality rates in the westernized world! For the time being your mortality rates are still in the process of accelerating!
Not correct!

For England, compared to 7 days ago:
Deaths are down 14%,
Hospital admissions down 23%,
Hospital patients down 12%,
Positive tests down 30%.

And that is a steady trend, not accelerating either positively or negatively!

Only increasing value is the number of tests being done, which never seems to stop increasing.

Not correct!

For England, compared to 7 days ago:
Deaths are down 14%,
Hospital admissions down 23%,
Hospital patients down 12%,
Positive tests down 30%.

And that is a steady trend, not accelerating either positively or negatively!

Only increasing value is the number of tests being done, which never seems to stop increasing.
Glad for the last seven days but that short term window conveniently ignores the entire trend! You can keep spinning everything six ways to Sunday Nigel, but your situation is not good and has not been for quite some time.

My God, first you claimed the pandemic was "over"in the UK last August, then you claimed the huge spike in cases was merely due to "false positives" rather the long predicted second pandemic wave, then you claimed that the huge number of COVID deaths was somehow "fine" because it was allegedly within some arbitrary "excess death" range. All the while you ignore the devastation to families, your economy, your health care system, to your schools, to your society - the entire thing basically. Even here now, you ignore the devastating death rates in your country in an attempt at a counter narrative. The UK has lost 109,335 souls within the last year as of today! Considering the size of your country and your population, that's insane! Who do you think you are fooling? Perhaps just yourself, but surely nobody who has been following along.

Last edited:
Glad for the last seven days but that short term window conveniently ignores the entire trend!
Compared to 4 weeks ago, infections are down 68% and hospital admissions down 19%, but that takes us back the other side of the January peak, so it doesn't make sense to go back further when looking for trends showing vaccine effect since the AZ vaccine was not in use back then!

We always have a peak in January, it does seem higher this year, but the data is not all in yet.

Look like things peaked in late December here, since then we have dropped off substantially and around 10 or so municipalities are reporting number well below the government limit for concern.
But 10 or so still kick the bucket every day, and now 5 cases of the south African mutation have been detected here.

The small kids go back to school on Monday.

The graph of new daily infected look like this.
new daily.jpg

and now 5 cases of the south African mutation have been detected here.
With your current rate of spread, you don't need to worry about them, you are still heading rapidly towards zero new infections/day.

Yeah.
I just hope my bank open soon, thats all i need.
Okay and some milder weather as i / we have to climb the roof at my friends place as two of his CCTV cameras need a factory reset as passwords for them have been lost, and someone who should not have messed with his NVR.
They need to learn fast before i loose my patience,,,,,, dont muck about if Brian are not there.

Compared to 4 weeks ago, infections are down 68% and hospital admissions down 19%, but that takes us back the other side of the January peak, so it doesn't make sense to go back further when looking for trends showing vaccine effect since the AZ vaccine was not in use back then!

We always have a peak in January, it does seem higher this year, but the data is not all in yet.

Still ignoring all the UK deaths, I see - 9,052 within the last seven days alone! Total since a year ago is actually 112,660, not 109,335.

These rationalizations are pathetic, Nigel. "We always have a peak in January". - 112,660 deaths to date! Are you kidding me!

Last edited:
The top end 'they' reckon is that infection to death is about 5 weeks so the current plateau is people who got infected over Xmas. It should come down noticeably in the next week or 2.

I'll resist commenting about my theory about Xmas mixing. Although we should have been told to lockdown fully, even Xmas day.

Another issue the UK has is that we are the most populated per sq mile than all other EU countries.

The UK is the same size as Alabama. Alabama population is 5 million, UK is 67 million ! Being crammed in doesn't help.

I'll resist commenting about my theory about Xmas mixing. Although we should have been told to lockdown fully, even Xmas day.
There is not much evidence to support that, it would have put a big spike in the other viruses:
1612379484629.png

Zero hospitalisations after 3 weeks of the first dose was the important figure.
After 2nd dose at 3 months, 82.4% prevention of infection and spread.

Zero hospitalisations after 3 weeks of the first dose was the important figure.
After 2nd dose at 3 months, 82.4% prevention of infection and spread.
Further to the above, a trial is underway to examine the mixing of two currently used vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back