Crashed

Shane Morton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was heading towards a friends house (well, it's a girl so..., we all know we can't just be friends right?). Some of those roads are posted as 55 mph and alot of us do drive around 70 mph on these roads and even pass state troopers. The only real way to get pulled over if you doing 70 mph+ and sadly the old couples in the white car failed to yield of the small suv truck that was driven by some young teenagers. I honestly don't see how he not seen coming and started crossing over. After the accident, first thing I checked is to make sure everyone was stopping and checked the lady first because she was having trouble breathing from all the dust from the air bags and had chest pain. The lady's man was doing alright and got out. Couple of the teens were out crying and shocked. Everyone was ok.

White car is lucky they got hit the way they did by that big Mercedes. Those things are tanks, and if it had hit them in the door, it would be a very different story.

That gut exiting his car and taking on high VIS vest, that's pretty damn casual if you ask me :D

Have you submitted the clip to the police? They may frown upon it being uploaded online so soon (depending on the rules)

Looks like the car driver may have timed it for the SUV to be able to go behind him without slowing, but when the SUV driver saw the car start to pull out he changed lanes to pass in front of the car which wasn't possible by the time he got there.

Another case of the Americans using the steering first and only using the brakes when it is too late. Brakes first gives you far more time to think!

I disagree Nigel. Steering while your foot is still on the throttle keeps the vehicle way more stable than braking or even just lifting off the throttle - even if the vehicle has ABS. So that's what they teach on both race driving classes as well as defensive driving classes.

Another possibility (which I've personally experienced) is that the Mercedes may have hit the horn and expected the white car to realize his mistake and stop.

Then there's the chance that the white car just didn't even look at all, and the Merc simply had nowhere to go, even if he had stood on the brakes.

This is a example where a long range lens would have been really good to have, sure you can see what go on back there but nuances might be hard to capture at that distance with a regular camera.

I have been known to use throttle lift to throw car into a more funny driving position :D you got to be careful with that move. at least with older cars without fun destroying features.

As seen so often in Russian crashes, you can just see from a mile away what is going to happen next, and then you sit there looking at the screen for seconds where nothing happen,,,,, and then BAM !
And then you tell yourself, both probably been hard at work liking pictures of cupcakes.

I disagree Nigel. Steering while your foot is still on the throttle keeps the vehicle way more stable than braking or even just lifting off the throttle - even if the vehicle has ABS. So that's what they teach on both race driving classes as well as defensive driving classes.

Another possibility (which I've personally experienced) is that the Mercedes may have hit the horn and expected the white car to realize his mistake and stop.

Then there's the chance that the white car just didn't even look at all, and the Merc simply had nowhere to go, even if he had stood on the brakes.
I was assuming a front or all wheel drive vehicle, maybe incorrectly...

Easy to forget these thing when you drive a car that you can floor the brake in the middle of a corner with stability unaffected!

People instinctively think "Stop!" when the correct thought is "Avoid!" :( More often than not you can steer clear without braking but you lose most of your steering option once you unbalance the car by braking hard. The time to brake is when you see a possible situation developing so that you'll have more time and space to deal with it, and you brake smoothly then so your car remains stable :) Once possibilities become realities you're past the point where braking should be done and now it's time to "avoid" by steering while keeping your vehicle stable. That also keeps the blind stupid idiot behind you from crashing into your rear end which is a very likely outcome if you brake hard ;) Awareness, thinking, and then avoidance in that order and remember- braking doesn't automatically mean avoidance :cool:

Phil

I was assuming a front or all wheel drive vehicle, maybe incorrectly...

Easy to forget these thing when you drive a car that you can floor the brake in the middle of a corner with stability unaffected!

what do you drive that defies the laws of physics? not trying to brag, but i've driven a LOT of different kinds of cars at track speeds and in any of them (whether it's a modded boxster, m3, corvette, mini cooper or awd beast like an STI or Evo), if you jam on the brakes in a hard turn (more than 90 degrees steering input) you will be going in pretty much a straight line. even with ABS and traction control you won't be steering very much. abs/tc might help keep the tail in check, but not every time.

YES, ABS is a godsend to the unwashed masses who have no clue about basic car control because it does let you still have some (very limited) steering input under full braking, and it gets closer to threshhold braking in most situations (esp wet/icy).

but full braking in the middle of a curve in the road is not the same as full braking while also severely swerving to avoid a crash.

^^ This isn't the track. :)

It's a little unusual to see a MB like that driven by 'teens'.
I'm curious about the speed of the MB. (Not that it puts total fault on them, the white car misjudged multiple things, including what the white pickup was going to do or if they could clear it.)

We drive in auto pilot mode.
We only brake for the vehicles in front, not for those coming from the sides. ;)

I just spent another pleasant(?) half hour watching mostly Russian car crash vids :whistle: And in almost every crash shown, those who crashed were hard on the brakes when they crashed when most of the time there were better options clearly available even when considered from that drivers POV. Not every time, just most of them ;) And quite frequently the crashes were caused by someone braking when that was the worst choice available to them :eek: Braking alone can be the best way to avoid trouble but it usually isn't and it should never be an automatic response though with most drivers it is. It is simply an option- a tool you can use- but don't count on the brakes saving your behind because they usually won't :cool:

Phil

We drive in auto pilot mode.
We only brake for the vehicles in front, not for those coming from the sides. ;)

I am the exception, for the only time I'm on 'auto-pilot' is when I'm on a freeway with nobody near me or when I'm stopped at a signal for more than a few seconds (and with the latter I'm still watching what's going on around me) :) You're in command of a lethal weapon when you're driving so treat it that way at all times- not just some of the time the way most people do ;)

Phil

That gut exiting his car and taking on high VIS vest, that's pretty damn casual if you ask me :D
"Not all superheroes wear a cape." ;)

I'm not certain, but I think the SUV was in the offside lane from the moment it appeared. If so it didn't have any good options available.
Even if the SUV was in the nearside lane, it was a terrible choice to pull out in front of them.

^^ This isn't the track. :)

It's a little unusual to see a MB like that driven by 'teens'.

no, it's not the track. but when you make extreme maneuvers like that, it might as well be.

as for it being driven by teens - maybe it was mom or dad's car and they were on their way to a dance or something. last night was homecoming dance for a high school near here so we saw plenty of kids driving cars much nicer than they deserved, while being all dressed up. :p

Back