Custom firmware BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

Do I get $100 yet haha

Won't be for a good few hours. As I'm on a 12hr night shift. If you pm me your email soon as I do get home I can mail you or add it to drop box or something.

Rebel, please upload it for everyone to see. I'm also having trouble downgrading from Custom to Stock.

I've still got mine at home. I can copy the contents and send it you if that might help. Currently at work.
This decision of the layman, it will not help.

therippa, make formatting a memory card, insert to the Registrar, turn on, let him work for 1 minute, retrieves the memory card and show what is on the way: BlackVue - Config - version.bin

I wish I could figure out how to go back to Stock Firmware. Installing 2.000E keeps telling me "Error 1 Version differs."

Edit:
I got stock firmware working agian, here are my steps:
1. I formatted the card in exFat and put v2.002 back on the card.
2. Plugged in the Black Vue and waited for it to update, then cry at me to "Check the Memory Card"
3. I held down the WiFi button until the BlackVue told me it would reformat the card.
4. Waited for it to reformat the card and restart.
5. "Black Vue for your safe driving, starting normal recording."

Good Luck.

Last edited:
@Celsian If you formatted the card before it did the update - I would take the card out and double check what you actually have on the card.

The steps to return to stock should be as simple as:
  1. Reformat your card in fat32
  2. Download latest firmware from BV site
  3. Copy all folders to the SD card - including the BV folder itself - this is important!! (So you card will look like this for example: F:/Blackvue/Config) where F is the card, and I used the config folder purely to show it's under the main BV folder.
  4. Insert in camera and switch on.
  5. At this point mine did give me a problem, so I left the card in the camera and cycled the power - it then picked up the firmware and updated.
If your updates are failing, then I would suspect either step 1 or 3 were not done correctly. :)

@Celsian If you formatted the card before it did the update - I would take the card out and double check what you actually have on the card.

The steps to return to stock should be as simple as:
  1. Reformat your card in fat32
  2. Download latest firmware from BV site
  3. Copy all folders to the SD card - including the BV folder itself - this is important!! (So you card will look like this for example: F:/Blackvue/Config) where F is the card, and I used the config folder purely to show it's under the main BV folder.
  4. Insert in camera and switch on.
  5. At this point mine did give me a problem, so I left the card in the camera and cycled the power - it then picked up the firmware and updated.
If your updates are failing, then I would suspect either step 1 or 3 were not done correctly. :)

My steps as noted above work. When I formatted the Card the in Camera it changed the file system to Fat32.

Just did a 10 minute test drive with the 550gw, it's back to the poor night video quality (Stock F/W). Whatever. At least I'm not getting the Custom F/W Stuttering issue anymore. (Which was happening both Day and Night at 12/5)

Edit:
It just occured to me, could formatting the card in exFat cause the stuttering problem with the custom f/w? I'm tempted to put the custom firmware back on and see if Fat32 stops the stuttering. I only started experiencing the stuttering AFTER I converted my card to exFat through the custom f/w web interface... I suppose I'll give the custom f/w another try tomorrow. I'd rather not go back to stock. The quality is just so poor.

Last edited:
No, that won't be the issue with the custom firmware - as that firmware was written to read exfat format (apparently).

Do I get $100 yet haha

Won't be for a good few hours. As I'm on a 12hr night shift. If you pm me your email soon as I do get home I can mail you or add it to drop box or something.

Thanks for sending me that firmware Rebel... it didn't fix it though :(

This decision of the layman, it will not help.

therippa, make formatting a memory card, insert to the Registrar, turn on, let him work for 1 minute, retrieves the memory card and show what is on the way: BlackVue - Config - version.bin

alexsoll, here's what it says...

[firmware]
version = 2.002
model = 550GW
language = English
[software]
version = 2.200
model = 550GW
language = English
[config]
version = 1.040
model = 550GW

Put the sd card in. Boot the camera.
Press and hold the wifi button. Format the card.
Put the original firmware back on the card.
Let it update. See if that works. Let it take a while to update it. And get back to us.

Make sure the cards in fat32.

Put the sd card in. Boot the camera.
Press and hold the wifi button. Format the card.
Put the original firmware back on the card.
Let it update. See if that works. Let it take a while to update it. And get back to us.

Make sure the cards in fat32.

Yeah, the firmware you sent me doesn't have the update images in the system folder, so there's nothing to load. The device just boots up and says "Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording", but I still can't connect over wifi.

Ok.

Down load the stock firmware. Which I'm sure you have already.

Then follow the instructions. Put the card in. Format it using the camera.
Put the stock firmware on.
Update it.
Then see if it's any better. Then if it is update it to latest stock firmware.

Ok.

Down load the stock firmware. Which I'm sure you have already.

Then follow the instructions. Put the card in. Format it using the camera.
Put the stock firmware on.
Update it.
Then see if it's any better. Then if it is update it to latest stock firmware.

Yeah, I keep trying that. It will say "Upgrading the Blackvue, please do not shut off the power", the front security light will blink rapidly, then it will stop, the blue LED will light up, and it won't reboot.

I had this problem.
I had to format the card on the pc to fat32 as it was in exfat.

Not saying this is the same problem as yours but check what file format it is.

If it's exfat. Format it to fat32 n try again.

If it's already fat32. Then try leaving it longer. Again if not. Just keep rebooting it and let it try to update.

Only had it not take the firmware once. Had to do it twice.

My steps as noted above work. When I formatted the Card the in Camera it changed the file system to Fat32.

Just did a 10 minute test drive with the 550gw, it's back to the poor night video quality (Stock F/W). Whatever. At least I'm not getting the Custom F/W Stuttering issue anymore. (Which was happening both Day and Night at 12/5)

Edit:
It just occured to me, could formatting the card in exFat cause the stuttering problem with the custom f/w? I'm tempted to put the custom firmware back on and see if Fat32 stops the stuttering. I only started experiencing the stuttering AFTER I converted my card to exFat through the custom f/w web interface... I suppose I'll give the custom f/w another try tomorrow. I'd rather not go back to stock. The quality is just so poor.
I noticed the dash cam takes ages to load up on custom firmware when formatted to fat32. It also depends on what speed memory card you have. How fast can it write.

But both me and snake have the exact same micro sd card.

I'm sure the custom firmware needs work to iron out the stuttering in the video.
Both our cards should be able to do 30 F and 10 R with no stuttering issues.

As our cards are 45mb write.

I had this problem.
I had to format the card on the pc to fat32 as it was in exfat.

Not saying this is the same problem as yours but check what file format it is.

If it's exfat. Format it to fat32 n try again.

If it's already fat32. Then try leaving it longer. Again if not. Just keep rebooting it and let it try to update.

Only had it not take the firmware once. Had to do it twice.

This thing is killing me. I've never had so many problems with a piece of hardware. I even tried a different SD card, and the thing still won't reboot after loading the firmware.

These are my settings for my Dash Cam. I don't get any stuttering. Any higher and I do.

Attachments

• Dashcam settinga.png
    Dashcam settinga.png
    192 KB · Views: 25
This thing is killing me. I've never had so many problems with a piece of hardware. I even tried a different SD card, and the thing still won't reboot after loading the firmware.
What file format is it?

FAT32. Previous versions of the firmware will "load" in the sense that the upgrade process finishes and reboots, but the version number reported in version.bin is always 2.002

Ok so we can't get to stock firmware. And wifi won't connect.

I just had mine on. And wouldn't connect to wifi at all. Had to make my phone forget my home Internet. So it didn't connect to it automatically.

Turn the wifi off via the button. Wait 5. And turn it back on. It then connected.

Back