Dash and body cam that is backed up in real time in a cloud? Most secure free cloud?

Kip42

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to have a dash and body cam run to wifi and get backed up in real time on a secure cloud? This would avoid evidence destruction.

Welcome to the forum Kip.
Theoretically yes no problem, in real life it is hard.

A camera generate about 100 MB every minute it is recording ( thats just a single 1080p camera ) so that is 6GB you have to upload every hour.
Now this is not particular hard to do on a decent cable or fiber connection, but dropping in and out of 4G ( or 5G maybe ) is where it begin to get hard.
Now where i live in little old Flat Denmark, where we have a handful of nation wide ( all nation not just big cities ) 4G networks, and even with me having access to 2 of them via the roaming arrangement my provider have with one of the other companies.
Well some times i am out of 4G, or at least on a weak connection to 4G, and so maintaining speeds like that will get hard to do.
We will also be getting 3-4 nationwide 5G networks in the next 5 years or so, then things might be different.

It is true something outside could potentially nullify your footage, but in real life probably not going to happen.
I had a break in my car in January, the guy did vandalize 1 camera system, but did not touch the 2 other systems beside it, and he / she also did not steal the 2 spare 128 GB memory cards in my console, in total if the thief had been smart he could have walked away with 2 X 256 GB memory cards + 4 X 128 GB.
In day to day use, no one hardly notice dashcams, hell i almost had to literally point the then 4 cameras on my windscreen out to the cop when i filmed a crash, all cuz he couldn't be bothered to lean forward more and see the 4 cameras on top / center of my windscreen, and then i dident even have a mirror in the car as one camera i was testing had the mirror obstruct its cabin view.
Once he leaned over more, he was like Ooooooo, and he also was a hour later when i came to the station with the footage, not least the one from myside camera as the driver did a runner but not before modeling in front of my side camera,,,,,, and he was one of the usual suspects so well known.

Really the best option ATM at least as far as i feel is to get a camera like the SG9663DR, This is a system that have its 2 camera remote from the main unit, which you can then hide somewhere safe in the car,,,,, you could even lock it into something, though then you would not be able to access it VIA wifi to do changes ASO.

But just hidden it would take quite a while of follow the wires to get to the main unit with the memory card.

In general with a camera placed with stealth in mind, few in the western world would notice it, and many who do will just think it is yet another sensor of some kind.

The cloud cameras that are out now ( Blackvue and Thinkware in general ) well they do not send all the footage to the cloud, that will cost on data on the SIM card, and it will also cost on the cloud service.
With 6 GB/h 4 hours of driving is 24 GB so it add up fast.

I am personally staying clear of the connected cameras, just like i in general stay clear of my phone, and also wifi,,,, well i am not a fan of it so only use it if i really - really have to,
A cellphone jammer would essentially make sure nothing get uploaded from your camera, if someone was targeting you and was serious about it, so in that case cloud is not useful.

Last edited:
I have a camera on each side of the car, with two in the front. So five cameras in total at 1.15GB per minute. Frightening stuff!

Personally I think secondary cameras have a redundancy value more worthwhile than cloud (or network as it was originally called decades ago).

Is it possible to have a dash and body cam run to wifi and get backed up in real time on a secure cloud? This would avoid evidence destruction.

Realistically, no. Theoretically, yes. You'd need a fast enough and reliable mobile internet source. Then you would need devices capable of "station mode". Connecting to an internet connected device that then either connects to the cloud or allows for incoming connections.

I have no idea if any Body Cam Makers offer cloud supported services. Far as Dash Cams, most offer real time viewing and event based cloud. The alternative here is streaming the live feed and having it record to to another device using a program such as VLC to stream.

Again, this all sounds far easier in writing and in practicality is not easy to implement.

iOnce he leaned over more, he was like Ooooooo, and he also was a hour later when i came to the station with the footage, not least the one from myside camera as the driver did a runner but not before modeling in front of my side camera,,,,,, and he was one of the usual suspects so well known.

He just left McDonalds and didn't understand "Drive-Thru" didn't literally translate to cut into the middle of traffic.

Back