Dash cam design and distribution is horrible ....why?

The people who make the most noise about 'dash cam vigilantes' are often the ones who don't want to be held accountable for the way they drive.

Even when an accident is not my fault, it costs me money, and time.

I don't think you can go anywhere without showing up on a video camera, somewhere, now.

The people who make the most noise about 'dash cam vigilantes' are often the ones who don't want to be held accountable for the way they drive.

Thats my feeling too.

And i dont mind going big brother if its myself that do it, but i do dislike when somthing is pulled down over my ears, like the stuff i experience on the internet like " you watched xx so you might like to watch xxxx too" :mad:
Or what is done now in the name of fighting terror and simmilar stupid excuses.

And if a dashcam can prompt ppl to uphold the traffic code, than thats good cuz leaving up to the moreal of ppl sure as hell dont work.

I think every one in every way should be accountable for what they do, at least for the important stuff.

As you might expect i am a big fan of the three strike law, sure you can screw up, but when you just keep screwing up i really think things should be done about that.
Here we have several pretty thin populated islands, empty those out and send the ppl there that do not want to play ball with the rest of us. then they can make ther own little lawless soociety cuz i dont give a damn.

PS . i do feel lucky that when i was young and really stupid there wasent dashcams or other small camcoders areound, man there would be houres of stupid if those years of my life was taped :rolleyes:
BUT ! they are here now so deal with it dumbasses :p

If Russians can handle dashcam install better then they handle driving itself, well then we just got to have some more ppl hooked up in the western world.

PPL have no problem putting NAVunits and phone/tablet cradles all over ther windscreen, so i am not quite buying into the ppl not beeing able to.
A simple install fron ciggy lighter socket to windscreen is no big deal, anyone should be able to handle that.

I actually laughed out loud at the Russian comment, so, so true! I think a lot of people do not want wires hanging about so they dislike the cig cord idea, then quit at the thought of actually wiring up a cam. I just hardwired my radar detector in a new car, and got ready for hardwiring a new dashcam. Was not the easiest in my new car and I had to bust out a drill to drill a hole for a ground screw for example. No problem and the radar detector is wired great but that 10 minutes of work is literally beyond a lot of people I know sadly.

Another thing I think will help is wireless cameras so people can get video on the phone easier. I work in IT and help people weekly with getting photos off of cameras, off of thumbdrives, sending security video to cops via dropbox, then teaching the cops how to flipping click a link to get it. There are a few departments in my area that do not have email. It amazes me what people do not know at times.

On the other hand I feel like the people I am talking about are the ones I'm worried about filming... They are literally why I got a dashcam! :)

Even when an accident is not my fault, it costs me money, and time.

I don't think you can go anywhere without showing up on a video camera, somewhere, now.
+1

I actually laughed out loud at the Russian comment, so, so true! I think a lot of people do not want wires hanging about so they dislike the cig cord idea, then quit at the thought of actually wiring up a cam. I just hardwired my radar detector in a new car, and got ready for hardwiring a new dashcam. Was not the easiest in my new car and I had to bust out a drill to drill a hole for a ground screw for example. No problem and the radar detector is wired great but that 10 minutes of work is literally beyond a lot of people I know sadly.

Another thing I think will help is wireless cameras so people can get video on the phone easier. I work in IT and help people weekly with getting photos off of cameras, off of thumbdrives, sending security video to cops via dropbox, then teaching the cops how to flipping click a link to get it. There are a few departments in my area that do not have email. It amazes me what people do not know at times.

On the other hand I feel like the people I am talking about are the ones I'm worried about filming... They are literally why I got a dashcam! :)
It seems strange that in the last 30-odd years that I have been driving, technology has come on in leaps and bounds - my first ICE was a push-button radio (am, fm, lw), pull out a button, tune the radio, push button back in to fix that channel, choice of only 6 presets. Under my dash I had an 8 track cassette.
Under the dash, I had miles of cables dangling down. Accessing any one of these provided a decent source of power or ground.
I also had one 12v cigar lighter.

Nowadays, I have 2x 12v cigar lighters (although one is called a power socket) and accessing cables is a half-day's work to unscrew the myriad of screws holding the acres of plastic (which also seems to be interlocked to the piece next to it!

Yet there's also all sorts of technology available for cars - mobile phone needs chaging, satnav needs power, radar detector, reversing cam, dashcam (s) and other stuff that might be deemed essential by some. All require power - and only one power socket.

Strangely, when you dismantle a car's interior, you'll note that there's no end of empty space available behind the plastic facade of the dash. It's all so false. At least cars like the original mini were honest, a shelf with the clock located centrally. Nowadays, the whole thing has been brought out to meet the driver, to cocoon him in plastic & gadgets/switches/knobs/buttons etc & all they give us is a tiny, tiny glovebox!

It's almost as if those who design car interiors are stuck in the past.

All I'll say is that as a potential dash cam buyer, I was/am confounded by an endless number of configurations; clones of each configuration, all offered by scores of mystery makers and vendors at prices that are all over the place. And most are ugly as h*ll. The herd desperately needs thinning and some serious automotive product design input.

This is why I like the SG9665GC, it mounts flush with the windscreen and looks very oem if placed near the rearview mirror cluster. The cable tidy adds to the discreet oem look.

I installed one on Thursday to the Director's Shogun and he forgot it was there straight away. To me that means it's a good install. From the outside you can barely see it and it just looks like part of the car. Only about 2 inches of cable just visible above the camera (couldn't use cable tidy) and the rest is totally invisible.

I think the Street Guardian is only made by one manufacturer.

Back