Dash cam for a commercial vehicle

John4520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
None
I am looking for a dash cam for a Ford Tansit van. I need a front camera and a camera for the rear window would be a plus. These are some of my requirements / wish list:
1. Constant recording. I want to be able to retrieve video of other drivers or police stops. Of course I want accidents also.
2. Small and discrete - a camera that I can hide behind the mirror. I need to avoid a big visible camera that says “Steal Me”.
3. The longest video recordings possible
4. Recording at night while the vehicle is parked - I want to capture break ins
5. If there is a camera for the rear window the cable has to reach the back of the van
Thanks in advance for your input.

How long is your transit van?
What is your budget?

How long is your transit van?
What is your budget?
The van is 12 foot, 10 inches from the back window to the windshield. I did not include any distance for dropping down to behind the mirror or dropping down to the back window. - this would add a couple more feet depending on the mounting location.
My budget is open right now.

Just to clarify, the rear camera will be mounted inside van, right?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Check out if 2ch Street Guardian SG9663DC PRO + SGDCHW (parking hardwiring kit) suits your needs?

Not on the market yet, but the K2S will easily run that length and more :)

Phil

Check out if 2ch Street Guardian SG9663DC PRO + SGDCHW (parking hardwiring kit) suits your needs?
Another question for you. This camera records to memory constantly - correct? I friend told me the dash cams are on but only record video to the memory card when they detect an accident. I want the ability to review video if there was an incident that did not involve an accident. For example, the vehicle is pulled over by the police for running a red light at lunch time. When the vehicle returns to the office at 5 PM, I want to go back and review the video to see if the driver ran the red light. Assume I would put the 400 Gb card in the slot.

Thanks, John

your friend probably misunderstood how things work, the cameras record constantly, if an G-Sensor event (accident) happens it will move files to a read only directory so that they don't get overwritten, you can also manually save events like this

Another question for you. This camera records to memory constantly - correct? I friend told me the dash cams are on but only record video to the memory card when they detect an accident. I want the ability to review video if there was an incident that did not involve an accident. For example, the vehicle is pulled over by the police for running a red light at lunch time. When the vehicle returns to the office at 5 PM, I want to go back and review the video to see if the driver ran the red light. Assume I would put the 400 Gb card in the slot.

Thanks, John
Latest tests by @Street Guardian USA shows 58h of constant recording on 512GB memory card (front camera) at highest 18Mbps before it starts to overwright.

In real world let's say if you drive few hours per day then this memory card will last about 1 week (+/-) week (incl. parking mode recording) before it starts overwriting.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

your friend probably misunderstood how things work, the cameras record constantly, if an G-Sensor event (accident) happens it will move files to a read only directory so that they don't get overwritten, you can also manually save events like this
Thanks Again - I will purchase this dash cam!

Back