Dash cam for license plate reading from far away?

Thanks!

It doesn't seem like much has changed since then. I have stock standard headlights and can rarely get a read on a plate at night - at least not without having ample video of driving behind them and possibly hitting a bump in a well lit area. It still seems tricky for most folks, both with and without reflective plates.

reflective plates are great for speed cameras, red light cameras etc, terrible for dashcams though

I own a collectible old license plates store (web) and I have a hard time believing that technology would enable accurate license plate reading. For example, in Florida alone, there are 125 different types of specialty license plates. In Texas, they use a bar code on the plate that would seem to be easily covered by a license plate frame. You can see the bar code on Texas license plates here http://shoplicenseplates.com to see what I am talking about. But there is also the situation where people can run Year of Manufacture license plates on their car. One State, Illinois, did not stipulate that the 1969 Illinois license plate that you would put on your 1969 Camero needs to be from Illinois. So, you could put a 1969 Missouri license plate on the car. Illinois gives you "antique vehicle" license plates that you carry with you in the car but they don't require that you tell them what type of plate you would use, let alone the number of the license plate. So the systems are easily not flaw proof !

Reactions: Mtz
Let's not forget the silly people who bought vanity plates with something like 8888BB8 or 0O00OOO because at distance, most people can't really tell those apart. Many camera also has a hard time with clear images of those if it's far or if it's a cheap POS.

Reactions: Mtz
Back