recommended dash cam for reading license plates

Detectorguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A229
Hi I am new to this forum and would like to know what kind of dash cam you would recommend for clear pictures of plates as well as a parking mode ?

Welcome to the forum Detectorguy.

Any camera are about as good as the next one, not really anyone that jump out as something special as they more or less are all build with the same hardware, not least image sensors.
Right now the most popular sensors are IMX 291 for the 1080p cameras, and the IMX 335 for 1440p / 2k sensors.

Still there are tonnes of brands you should stay clear off as you probably see very little to no support, both in regard to firmware's for the camera but also just regular customer support and care.
Many of the little names are just made, and then pushed out the door and will never get any update.

Plate capture, just about any camera can do in fair weather / lighting, at dusk or in the evening and no camera will capture a plate unless it or you drive past at a pace no larger than walking pace.
as you might have noticed in some dashcam crash videos, people call out the plate of the offender, and this is actually a very good habit to get into, CUZ even in the daytime mid day mid summer, if you drive on a little road and go into shade with trees ling the road, light levels are already so low a plate capture could be a issue.

To be able to do parking mode, you need to get a hard wire kit for that specific brand / model, here you most often find the low voltage cut off in the form of a slider switch, most often enabling 11.8 - 12.0 - 12.2 - 12.4 Volts, you should not use below 12.2 if you have a regular lead/acid battery in the car.

Also know you need to drive and charge what you have used while parked, so you can not do parking guard for 23 hours every day and only drive 30 minutes, ends got to meet here to even things out.
Lowering cut off voltage even more just risk to really dig into the lifetime of your battery.

If possible, and not least if you are in a 1 plate state, and that plate are on the back of cars, well then you need a 2 channel system as your rear camera will be the only chance to get a plate capture on oncoming cars.
Though in 10 years of dashcamming pretty much all of my action have been captured on the front camera, it alone also 100 % log your driving, and so can fend off outrageous claims against you.
But it is nice to get everything on tape, i missed my own rear ending due to a rear camera on a too long and too cheap USB cable, even if it was not needed, it would still have been a cool recording.

Hi I am new to this forum and would like to know what kind of dash cam you would recommend for clear pictures of plates as well as a parking mode ?

@kamkar made some excellent points. Since you are in Sacramento, heat will be a factor for you. Because of that, you might stay away from 4k dashcams as they run much hotter than 1080 and 1440 (2k) dashcams. When a dashcam shuts down because of heat, it can take quite a while to start back up again.

If budget is not a problem, you might consider Blackvue or Thinkware dashcams. They are supposed to have the best parking modes and "cloud service features" if you happen to want that.

If budget is a factor, you might consider Viofo... no cloud service and lackluster customer support from the Company, but you can always get lots of support for Viofo dash cams here on this forum.

Whatever you decide on, good luck!

My first car cam was a Dod Ls470w+ when they came out. Great camera but after I had it for a while they power cord started falling out of the camera. Then I could not find a place to fix it:(
So here I am without a good camera today.

Blackvue isn't known for their video quality.
If that is really your main goal, then you should only consider Street Guardian SG9667DC2K or Viofo A139.

The only reliable parking mode is low bitrate mode, and pretty much almost any of the major cameras does that.

First of all, Viofo customer support is not very good...

And as @kamkar mentioned, all dashcams will be about the same for viewing plates... In almost all cases, unless the car is directly in front of you or behind you, you probably will not get a clear plate reading. I believe he may have mentioned reading plate numbers out loud if you see someone driving crazy, just in case.

He's an active thread on the Viofo a139 which you may have seen already... read through that to get a flavor for what Viofo offers their customers...

As I said before, Thinkware and Blackvue are considered to be among the best for parking mode. They'll even alert you to exactly when there was an incident, unlike Viofo.

If your budget won't allow you to go for Thinkware or Blackvue, then yes, go for something like Viofo... But be prepared to go through lots of frustrations while using your dashcam... Good luck.

Last edited:
The only reliable parking mode is low bitrate mode, and pretty much almost any of the major cameras does that.
Really?

Viofo was the first with Low Bitrate Parking Mode, and I haven't been seeing the others implement it, although Blackvue and Thinkware both use fairly low bitrate while driving, hence not getting great video quality while moving!

If your budget won't allow you to go for Thinkware or Blackvue, then yes, go for something like Viofo... But be prepared to go through lots of frustrations while using your dashcam... Good luck.
I don't think that is correct, all companies have a few failures, I don't think Viofo stands out as worse, and looking at the "frustrations" we see in threads on this forum, most of them come from Viofo releasing prototype firmware containing new features, such as the new HDR feature that you have linked to - it is still being developed, doesn't appear in the specifications, and you don't need to use prototype firmware if you don't want to get frustrated!

Blackvue isn't known for their video quality.
If that is really your main goal, then you should only consider Street Guardian SG9667DC2K or Viofo A139.
The Viofo A139 is a very nice dashcam, really only missing cloud functionality, which most people don't use anyway!

I would add the new Viofo A229 to the list of cameras with decent heat resistant parking mode, but maybe that is still a bit too new, with not enough testing to be sure of its high heat capability.

SG use low bitrate too, i used that from day #1 receiving the SG9663DR over a year ago, it is my preferred parking guard mode but i like to have G-sensor on too.

First of all, Viofo customer support is not very good...

And as @kamkar mentioned, all dashcams will be about the same for viewing plates... In almost all cases, unless the car is directly in front of you or behind you, you probably will not get a clear plate reading. I believe he may have mentioned reading plate numbers out loud if you see someone driving crazy, just in case.

He's an active thread on the Viofo a139 which you may have seen already... read through that to get a flavor for what Viofo offers their customers...

This is not the case from the comparisons that I have seen.
When it comes to dashcams, image quality and reliability is #1. While customer service is also very important, it is slightly lower on the pecking order for me at least. I certainly won't sacrifice image quality and reliability for it. There are other companies that don't sacrifice image quality and also provide great customer service.
I've already seen that thread you linked and probably even participated in it. Some of these things happen because Viofo is at the forefront of pushing the envelope. I don't really see anything out of the ordinary.
As I said before, Thinkware and Blackvue are considered to be among the best for parking mode. They'll even alert you to exactly when there was an incident, unlike Viofo.

Best for parking mode in what sense? Because they have have voice alert? Even the voice alert is unreliable because you still need to subtract from you slamming your door on the way out. Because they have a million parking mode features, even though there is only one parking mode feature that has been shown to be 100% reliable?
Buffered parking mode, radar, and other "marketed" things are unreliable and things can be missed. How reliable these features are in capturing door dings from someone parked next to you at the grocery store or someone unloading their shopping cart in their car and therefore hitting your car is very questionable and depends on the strength/intensity of such action.
Low bitrate parking mode is the only parking mode feature that is 100% sure to record evidence in any scenario.
Voice alerts for parking isn't that important. I need the camera to record parking 100% of the time when I park regardless of conditions and not miss anything. No if, and, or buts.

The biggest thing Blackvue is known for is their cloud feature, I'll give you that. If that is the most important feature, then it wins over all other dashcams in that category.

Last edited:
Really?

Viofo was the first with Low Bitrate Parking Mode, and I haven't been seeing the others implement it, although Blackvue and Thinkware both use fairly low bitrate while driving, hence not getting great video quality while moving!
Street Guardian has always had it on their dashcams the past 2-3 years or more as far as I'm aware? I was not really making an argument for who had it first.
My point is that buffered parking mode, radar, and other "marketed" things are not 100% reliable and things can be missed. One should only care that a dashcam includes low bitrate parking mode in it's options and not the fact that it has a million other parking options of dubious or questionable value.

This is also the point I'm trying to make in my original reply. I think we both agree that Blackvue video quality is not where it should be compared to the competition.
The Viofo A139 is a very nice dashcam, really only missing cloud functionality, which most people don't use anyway!

I would add the new Viofo A229 to the list of cameras with decent heat resistant parking mode, but maybe that is still a bit too new, with not enough testing to be sure of its high heat capability.
The only cloud feature I need is for the video to automatically upload to either my Google Drive or a NAS when connected to my home WiFi. Being able to access "cloud" on the go via a BlackVue/Thinkware app or server is overrated for me as I'm not interested in a monthly subscription. I already have my storage that I pay/paid for.

A229 seems to be undergoing beta testing among testers and probably won't see a full release until 3 months or so from now?

There are indeed some pitfalls with all dashcams, or things you want to do or expect from such a devise.

Parking guard wise the one i prefer is the low bitrate + G-sensor on meanwhile, this mean "violent" events will get locked, but the low bitrate are just as regular footage so will get deleted, so i feel going this route for sure you can not go small on your memory card size, but as i only use parking guard for 1 hour on the timer then a 256 GB memory card work fine, even if a a few days later notice something i might want to go back in time and investigate where that might have happened.

As it is now most cameras aside for the smart ones do not give any form of notifications, and even if they do and you have false events, then for a while getting back to your car to get told there are 28 parking guard events and you can find nothing wrong with your car, well you might turn off notifications ,or just disregard the notification.

I am requesting even more sensitive G-sensor for when parked, to be able to pick up smaller events, maybe little door dings on the parking lot, but keying vandalism the G-sensor will probably never be able to detect.

Current 4K cameras make up for nice daytime footage, and as it is 4K you can digitally zoom in a little in the hunt of a plate, but as these have smaller pixels on the sensor they are a little worse at night, though i do not feel they are useless, they will still 100 % log your driving, and that will still go a long way in regard to claims against you.
And they still see stuff in general too, just dont get your hopes too high in regard to little details, at least when you are moving at any car like speed.

I am getting a 4K system "soon" and i am very much looking forward to that, well knowing i will not get my dashcam perspective disrupted in any way.

Getting as good image quality as i can are still #1 here too - next on my list is a form factor that will allow for a stealthy install in my car, but here i am fortunate most will do that, in other cars this is a challenge.
Next up is the abillety to get hassle free support / warranty, so i am not going dime-saving shopping in some far way country for my dashcams or memory cards.

Welcome to DCT @Detectorguy :)

Not sure about parking mode, but the A119V3 is a well-developed camera with good factory FW along with several modified ones for tweaking the vid quality to suit different conditions. The A139 comes in 2 and 3 channel versions and is another good choice. I have used the A139 3 channel in heats like you get with no problems at all. Street Guardian cams handle heat well. The A229 and A119 Mini are new and in testing still; my thoughts are that they will be most excellent cams if you care to wait for them. The A119V3 may be going out of production soon but it's still one of the top cams for reliability and video quality and while newer cams might have more potential, none outperform it by much margin (if at all) and then not in every aspect. It's aleays been a good value and still is.

On customer service it's always subjective and those with a bad experience will be more vocal than those with good experiences. In reading these forums as well as info found elsewhere I'd rate Viofo's after-sales support as being good or better. I've seen horror stories about Thinkware and Blackvue where I would have expected better than the owner got from them, especially considering their high price. Many dashcam manufacturers offer little to no support, leaving it up to the seller to deal with and many of them do nothing. You'll be OK with Viofo.

Parking modes can vary; gone are the old days when you had only Blackvue offering a usable motion-detect and everyone else using g-sernsor, the performance of which varied wildly. Most of us here now use low-bitrate as it is not going to miss anything and the vid quality is usually sufficient, but I and others have had some good experiences using motion detect and g-sensor with some cams. Same as with anything, don't presume and don't blindly believe manufacturer or advertising claims- ask here and you'll get answers back by experience.

Phil

I i might have to say, with most brands or at least many, i feel like the makers dont have much interest in pulling out the last bit of performance in this regard, even if modders often prove that there are a lot to be gained.
This is a bit sad as all the brand have to do is talk to / work a little with modders and implement their findings in the factory firmware, which i dont think is that hard to do.

So some brands / some models you can find a firmware from a modder that make your camera perform much better, but it is still not something i would go dashcam shopping based upon, just a fact worth mentioning.

The Viofo A139 is...really only missing cloud functionality, which most [users] don't use anyway!
The above argument begs the question "Why is it that most [users] don't use cloud functionality?" I would proffer it is not because most users don't want it (as the argument appears to imply), but because they can't afford it. But build a Viofo A139 with cloud functionality at an affordable price to the average user and including some sort of incentive for the ongoing carrier charge (e.g., Similar to SiriusXM's first 6 months free) and I can see the majority of Voifo A139 users switching to cloud functionality. In summary, you get what you pay for.

Being able to access "cloud" on the go via a BlackVue/Thinkware app or server is overrated for me as I'm not interested in a monthly subscription. I already have my storage that I pay/paid for.
If the concern is the $10 monthly T-Mobile cell charge, then the argument above should had said that because it only complained about BlackVue/Thinkware's monthly subscription, and BlackVue's base monthly subscription doesn't cost a penny.

The big problem with Cloud storge is cost. Some want everything and will pay for it, some are happy with less, and some just want the crash-protection veracity of video while they're driving and don't need Cloud.. Someone will make cams to fill all the needs, but those without need aren't going to want to pay high prices for cam features they do not use.

There are good cam choices for everyone, but every cam will be a compromise since by their nature dashcams are limited. Know what you want most then get the cam which gives you the most of that.

Phil

The above argument begs the question "Why is it that most [users] don't use cloud functionality?" I would proffer it is not because most users don't want it (as the argument appears to imply), but because they can't afford it. But build a Viofo A139 with cloud functionality at an affordable price to the average user and including some sort of incentive for the ongoing carrier charge (e.g., Similar to SiriusXM's first 6 months free) and I can see the majority of Voifo A139 users switching to cloud functionality. In summary, you get what you pay for.
Not sure how you can conclude that price is the major issue.

How do you know that Viofo can make an A139 with cloud functionality without any compromises?
A Viofo A139 with cloud functionality would likely have lower video quality and lower bitrate than the current A139.
Not everyone here is willing to sacrifice visual image quality for cloud features.

Funny that you should mention SiriusXM...I bought my car slightly more than a year ago and did not use it at all despite it being free for 6 months!
SiriusXM has gone the way of the dinosaur for anyone that has Android Auto or CarPlay.

Your idea that "because something is more expensive, therefore it is better" is laughable.
The visual image quality on BlackVue dashcams are lower than Viofo or Street Guardian.
In the case of visual image quality, you don't get what you pay for when it comes to BlackVue!

Let me guess...So you also think that because BlackVue is selling a 256GB microSD card for $184, it is also the best microSD card on the market right? :rolleyes:
You get what you pay for right?

If the concern is the $10 monthly T-Mobile cell charge, then the argument above should had said that because it only complained about BlackVue/Thinkware's monthly subscription, and BlackVue's base monthly subscription doesn't cost a penny.
Again, you're assuming that this monthly price is the "major" concern without thinking about other things like visual image quality. Try to keep up and stop trying to divert.
I wouldn't take their cloud even for free if I have to sacrifice visual image quality for it.

Of course everyone would like cloud functionality, if it didn't involve any cost or effort or other drawbacks.

Why do people buy dashcams? For most it is an extension to their insurance. Having video of an accident you were involved in makes insurance claims much easier, and sometimes will prove it was not your fault when otherwise you would have had to take some of the blame. But that video is stored on your memory card, so there is no need for the cloud, in this case the cloud would only be useful if it was easier to access with no additional drawbacks.

There is currently always a drawback to the cloud functionality; currently Blackvue and Thinkware store video in the cloud in SD resolution; it is terrible quality compared to what is on the memory card, and insufficient resolution to read plates or recognise faces. Although it may, on some cameras, be possible to download original quality video via the cloud, this is always very slow.

So when does the cloud video come in useful?
  1. When your memory card gets stolen.
  2. When you need access to your video remotely.
No. 1 doesn't really help, because if the memory card gets stolen, it probably requires an insurance claim to cover the theft, and although a cloud video may show the theft in progress, you still need to make the insurance claim. The only advantage is to the police and insurance company who may manage to recover the stolen items or recover the costs from the thieves. It is of no benefit to yourself. OK, if the thief only steals the memory card then that is not worth an insurance claim, so if you can recover it from the thief yourself then you may benefit, but this benefit isn't going to cover the cost of the dashcam, and in any case, on this forum we see very few thefts of memory cards, dashcams containing memory cards, or cars containing dashcams.

No. 2, I'm not convinced you ever need remote access. Some people like to have remote access to check their car is OK, but I think the excitement of that functionality very quickly wears off and people stop using it. Personally, if my car was damaged in a carpark, and I had a choice of knowing immediately, or enjoying the rest of my day before finding out and having to deal with the problem, I would prefer the latter! The only exception is possibly when parked in a works carpark where I could drop everything I'm doing and rush outside to see what just impacted my vehicle. That would allow me to be very angry with the person who had just accidentally tapped my vehicle while getting into theirs, rather than having to deal with the issue in a civilised way later, assuming that I made it outside in time, before they had left the scene, and assuming that they weren't going to apologize anyway, and of course you couldn't stop them leaving the scene until you had actually checked the damage; being very angry before looking at the damage, when they had gently tapped plastic against plastic with no actual damage would not be good!

Using foreseeable technology, we are never going to be able to store 4K front + 2K rear + FHD internal, left & right, in the cloud. Memory cards are always going to store better quality video, and currently they store considerably better quality video, so the usefulness of the cloud is very limited, to very unusual circumstances.

There are a few other uses for the cloud that some people may be interested in, such as tracking the vehicle location, remembering where you have parked, live monitoring of driving standards, maybe of the kids (although I don't think kids should be driving), using your vehicle for remote video surveillance, but there are not many people buying dashcams for any of these purposes, and most of these are done better by other devices. My watch always remembers where I parked, and I can ask it to guide me there without even touching it.

So I think the main use for cloud functionality is to deal with USA cops, who seem to have a reputation for stealing video evidence stored on memory cards. Outside of the USA this isn't an issue.

So what is it that you think most users would use cloud functionality for, if it was available?

If there is something really useful that it can do then cost is not an issue.
More of an issue is the effort required to set it up, but I think that can be solved, if there is something really useful that it can do for most people.

The only thing I really need from "cloud" is for a dashcam to be connected to my Google Drive/Google account and auto-upload video at original maximum quality without having to resort to removing the memory card.
Similar to how any video/photo on your smartphone is automatically uploaded to Google Photos, Google Drive, iCloud, etc...at original quality without having to connect your phone to your computer.
I'm still waiting for a dashcam to offer this feature without any compromise in video image quality.

There is no way that BlackVue (or any other dashcam manufacturer as a matter of fact) will be able to compete with Google or Microsoft in offering cloud storage. Ever.
  • Remote live view: Meh...It gets old fast. I felt the same way when Viofo enabled "station mode" on the A139...Meh. It's a novelty feature that has questionable usefulness. It's like checking the camera in your house to see what your dog is currently doing. How many times a day are you really going to be doing this, and for how long each time? Why would I want to stare at nothingness?
  • BlackVue remote live view/cloud playback is low-resolution (480p)...So you still need to get the entire original 4K/2K/1080P footage from the memory card somehow which should be via WiFi(preferred) or LTE. My home gigabit fiber plan is faster than any paying $10/month from any carrier LTE plan with zero data limits.
  • Instant notifications? Meh. The person that hit your car would have pulled off long before you get to the scene after receiving the notification. I don't see how it would make any difference in practice of knowing instantly vs when you get to your car later.
  • GPS: I can already track my car for free using it's smartphone app to see it's location if I wanted. If an entry level car from Mazda has this feature, then you know that Toyota, Honda, and other car makers should also have this feature. This is not a high-end "Tesla" exclusive feature. If you have an old car that is 6 years old or more that does not have a smart app, even having this GPS tracking feature is questionable. How much is an Apple Airtag? $29. Remembering where you parked? That's what Google Maps is for and I've been using this feature for almost a decade.
That's a summary of BlackVue's cloud plans.

Last edited:
Back