Dash cam for record interior

wunan90

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy car dvr to record interior..is this mobius C2 camera good for record car interior including at night? My main condition for choosing this dvr is that it must be stealthy and can at least record a decent view of car interior including people face at night..please advise on this..

http://www.lazada.com.my/mobius-new-version-lens-c2-camera-12061826.html

Also, appreciate if you guys could suggest budget dvr for rear view also..preferably stealth and can record a decent video at night (can see car plate no.)..for front view camera i already installed at my car

Welcome to DCT @wunan90 :)
All cams are a compromise of some kind, so you really need to decide what function is most important to you and work from there. Mobius is tiny and not quickly recognized as a camera, but doesn't give the best performance. The new G1W-S gives good low-light performance but is larger and easily recognized as being a camera. Nothing does really well recording car interiors at night, and capturing number plates is variable with any cam. There is no single perfect solution for anyone and never will be so you will need to compromise and just do the best you can from there ;)

Phil

The mobius is a okay camera for recording the inside of a car in the daytime, but just be warned that as soon as the light start to get low when the sun set in the horizon, while it is still plenty of light for human eyes a little camera will start to struggle.

I have a little footage to demo what you can expect.
First the mobius 2 not sure how wide its lens is compared to the mobius with the C2 lens.

Next up is my mobius with the B lens mounted behind the B pillar in my little Suzuki, it normally film the other way but i figured i would turn it for a ride with a pretty girl.
This is also close to sunset and with the camera up high so you can see what to expect in that case.

Bonus footage, the first one captured i think with the discontinued innovv C3

To capture faces other than the driver and the person next to him you will need more light than the 4 LEDs that is on some cameras that do have a rear facing camera.

The Transcend Drive Pro 520 seem like a good camera aside for it having too little IR light for the inside camera at night, but you can fix that with a little IR light for CCTV cameras.
CCTV camera lights are normally 12 volts, just be sure to get one that will spread the light a lot as many are more geared towards a long reach than a wide beam.
You might be able to compensate by aiming IR light source at car toof to get more reflected light in the cabin.
If you go for 940 Nm wavelength on the IR light its so high the human eye can not see it, the lower 840 Nm lights you can see the reddish glow on the light source, but its not something that will blind people, but they can see there is some kind of light there ( most will probably not know what it is and just think its a red light you have in the car )

Welcome to DCT @wunan90 :)
All cams are a compromise of some kind, so you really need to decide what function is most important to you and work from there. Mobius is tiny and not quickly recognized as a camera, but doesn't give the best performance. The new G1W-S gives good low-light performance but is larger and easily recognized as being a camera. Nothing does really well recording car interiors at night, and capturing number plates is variable with any cam. There is no single perfect solution for anyone and never will be so you will need to compromise and just do the best you can from there ;)

Phil

Thanks Phil for your advice :D. I'll filter all the option that u guys shared before deciding on which dashcam to take. For now, I'm more inclined to get the Mobius first as the design is really what I'm looking for to fit in my car. :rolleyes:

@kamkar1 Thanks for sharing your video..your daytime video looks very good & clear.. I will go with the mobius first and test its performance in night time..

wunan90, Selamat Datang.
Price is good for a Mobius C2. Much better than we can buy here or ebay. Not sure how long it'll take to arrive to you since it's not stock in Malaysia. There are some fake ones around. Make sure you get the original or you cannot use Mobius firmware/upgrades or support.

@Bungus Terima Kasih.

I have purchased 1 unit of this item..Usually it will take around a week or 2 if it's from oversea when i purchase from this site.

Will definitely check the authenticity of the product the first thing when i got the item. ;)

Back