Dash cam "rings" 3 times and then....

DeltaLady1946

Reaction score
Country
United States
...it turns itself off! It worked perfectly for 3 1/2 weeks since we purchased it directly from GearBest.com so we can't figure out why it rings 3 times and then shuts off.

It's brand new, purchased mid-Dec., 2015 and we installed it perfectly and use a 128 gig of memory so it will fill up the memory card and then record over it again unless we pull it
and download footage to our computer.

When it rings 3 times, and cuts off, we reboot it, it comes back, but a few mins later - the alarm goes off and it shuts down again and when it reboots the lights don't perform as they are supposed to either. The blue and green are supposed to stay on and the red one is supposed to blink to indicate it's recording.

There is NOTHING about this in the owner's manual, on their website, no email addy, no phone number, so we have to resort to this to get help. That's horrible! If we can't fix this - we wasted all our money for nothing.

Anyone familiar with this? Anyone know what this means? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks, ya'll! :)
1-19-16

Last edited:
It is probably saying that your memory card is either faulty or corrupted. You should format the card and try again.

If possible give the card a test to find out if it is faulty, or a fake card. Test software: http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

Well, I was going to share this with John, tonight, but it's not in English. Can you help me find one in English please? Thanks! :)

We purchased a new 128 gig of memory from Best Buy so it would be a real shock if it were bad. By the way...is this normal for a new, unused dash cam after 3 1/2 weeks of perfect performance? Just seems it should work perfectly from the start or not at all....how odd. :(

Last edited:
My guess is that it is a fake 128GB memory card and only actually contains 8GB of working memory, that test software will show if that is the case or not.

Click on the "Download" button, the software has a button to switch to English language when you run it, it is the best memory card test software available and simple to use.

Thanks, but I just remembered something! We had the memory card tested by the Geek Squad before we purchased it at Best Buy....and....there is nothing on that link that allows me to start the download and then select English.

It's okay....don't worry about it....we know for a fact the card is 128 gigs.

We may just pull the card out, delete all that's on it and then try again!

Will post whatever happens after that on here.....:)

Last edited:
Many thanks, senior! Sure wish someone on here knew about this dash cam alarm so we could figure out what we need to do to fix it. It's depressing. :(

Out of interest, what brand/type of card is it?

You need to format the card, not just delete the files.

Unless you test the card, even though you say it has already been tested, everyone will still suspect the card is at fault, far more likely than the camera being at fault.

.and....there is nothing on that link that allows me to start the download and then select English.
If a German website is actually impossible to use then there are plenty of other places you can download "h2testw" from as it is very popular, however I don't give links to other places as I can't tell which may have added viruses etc. That website is the original source and known to be a valid clean copy.

Out of interest, what brand/type of card is it?
You need to format the card, not just delete the files.
Unless you test the card, even though you say it has already been tested, everyone will still suspect the card is at fault, far more likely than the camera being at fault.

We'd much rather it be the memory card than the dash cam, actually!

All I know is it's a Class 10, 127 gigabyte memory stick and we used it a week before our trip and even took it out of the DC and watched the footage on our desk
top computer monitors...it was amazing and clear!

All was working just fine until the 3 rings (alarm) went off a week ago...and then...well, you know.

I'll return here later on today and will post to you exactly what type of mem stick we are using.....sorry I can't share any more than that
right now...but it's in his records.

Until then...thank you for trying to help us! :)

If a German website is actually impossible to use then there are plenty of other places you can download "h2testw" from as it is very popular, however I don't give links to other places as I can't tell which may have added viruses etc. That website is the original source and known to be a valid clean copy.

Okay....I'll tell JR to do that...but we did have the Computer Geek at BB test it for us to make sure it was working and was 128 gigabytes before we took it home with us. :)

Okay....I'll tell JR to do that...but we did have the Computer Geek at BB test it for us to make sure it was working and was 128 gigabytes before we took it home with us. :)
My knowledge of Computer Geek & BB is no better than your knowledge of German and so I have no faith in their test being valid! If Computer Geek works for BB then surely they have an interest in it passing even if it is faulty?

...it turns itself off! It worked perfectly for 3 1/2 weeks since we purchased it directly from GearBest.com so we can't figure out why it rings 3 times and then shuts off.

It's brand new, purchased mid-Dec., 2015 and we installed it perfectly and use a 128 gig of memory so it will fill up the memory card and then record over it again unless we pull it
and download footage to our computer.

When it rings 3 times, and cuts off, we reboot it, it comes back, but a few mins later - the alarm goes off and it shuts down again and when it reboots the lights don't perform as they are supposed to either. The blue and green are supposed to stay on and the red one is supposed to blink to indicate it's recording.

There is NOTHING about this in the owner's manual, on their website, no email addy, no phone number, so we have to resort to this to get help. That's horrible! If we can't fix this - we wasted all our money for nothing.

Anyone familiar with this? Anyone know what this means? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks, ya'll! :)
1-19-16

Try the Samsung Pro Plus. It is what we use on our devices and what we recommend to our users. However, our dash cam is a little different that the mini 0806.

My knowledge of Computer Geek & BB is no better than your knowledge of German and so I have no faith in their test being valid! If Computer Geek works for BB then surely they have an interest in it passing even if it is faulty?

Guess what, Nigel? You hit the nail on the head! The Geek @ BB either lied to us or he lied to us...lol!
We put the thing in the portal and when it opened...it said 1.87 MEGABYTES! Not even close to the 128 GIGABYTE card.
Back to BB this weekend with receipt & the memory card with baby bytes on it.

I think this time John may want me to wait in the car....I'm really angry now! :(

Thanks for being so helpful, Nigel and btw....John was able to send gearbest.com an online message about it cuz he bought it from them and so he had
a username/password, etc. Now we won't have to bother to even read it....problem solved.

Since you obviously are very wise regarding this stuff....any suggestions as to WHERE we should buy our next 127 gig of mem? We won't hold you to
it in a court of law...but it would be nice to know. Ebay? Amazon?

Have a good one, Nigel and peace out....:)

DeltaLady1946

Although your card may be fake... I doubt it's only got 2meg on it... What you are seeing is what is left free on the card. Seems to me your card isn't looping the video and as there isn't enough enough memory left to open a new mov the cam is locking up. Please just put the card into your PC and exfat format it... Then click on properties to see how much memory it states... Bet you its way more than 2meg! If all looks well put it back in cam but don't use the cam format as it doesn't like many cards over 32gig.

Although your card may be fake... I doubt it's only got 2meg on it... What you are seeing is what is left free on the card. Seems to me your card isn't looping the video and as there isn't enough enough memory left to open a new mov the cam is locking up. Please just put the card into your PC and exfat format it... Then click on properties to see how much memory it states... Bet you its way more than 2meg! If all looks well put it back in cam but don't use the cam format as it doesn't like many cards over 32gig.

Okay...I'll pass this msg on to John and let him do that. We didn't know that we could put it in our card reader (new one) and change it from FAT to EXFAT.
John put it into our new card reader last night and all he saw was that it said 1.68 megabytes. However...anything we can do before driving 25 miles to that
Best Buy is worth the effort!

Will report back here tomorrow after he's had a chance to follow your instructions. thanks so much, Fspiders.
I've got terminal arachnophobia, but thanks just the same!....lol! :)

Until 2moro....bye 4 now!

Here is my take. I have gone through multiple cards which tested and formatted perfectly fine but would not work with the 0806 (i.e., card errors on screen and the infamous three beeps). Its NOT about whether the card is good or not or works with anything else - it either works with the 0806 or it doesn't. Not worth trying IMHO to make it work if you get regular 3 beeps. Now I did use a 8 GB generic card which occasionally 3 beeps or the other infamous constant beep. But then it works again for a while so I have been using it temporarily.

I first went with a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB - now I use it to backup my laptop files. Then I tried a Samsung EVO 64 GB which again immediately 3 beeped.

So I took the recommendations here and purchased a Samsung Pro Plus 64 GB (from a reputable eBay seller for $36US). Came today. I put it in, reformatted it in the 0806 and tried it out. Didn't use it for very long - 2 mins - but it worked fine and no beeps. So I am cautiously optimistic.

So I recommend return or sell everything you have. Don't try to make it work or even understand why not. :) Go with something that works for other here like the Samsung Pro Plus 64 GB.

Back