What is the most reliable dash cam?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
Last edited by a moderator:
as much as we wish it were otherwise no camera is without failures, we do everything we can to eliminate faulty product ending up with customers but some will still slip through, the nature of electronics unfortunately, if we do get someone with a problem product though we do everything we can to sort things out as painlessly as possible

So far, the Street Guardian appears to be highly reliable but the fact is that it has not been on the market long enough to know the long term durability.
By comparison, the Mobius has been on the market much longer and therefore has a more proven long term track record based on the many reports from users.
Member @russ331 has had two super-capacitor powered Mobius cams in regular service that he provides periodic health reports on. I believe his oldest has been going 1 year and 10 months without any issues, although he could better confirm his experience. My experience with Mobius (also with capacitor) has been quite similar as well, with the cameras in long term use in both sub-zero temps and high heat.

Most every the other cameras I've owned over the last 5 years have eventually developed one problem or another over time, either mechanical or electronic but the Shadow GT300W was a real workhorse and excellent performer for a 100 or so dollar camera until it eventually gave up the ghost after about a year and a half of full time use.

@RavenManic, why start this thread, especially in the 0806 forum? It seems a duplicate of the one you launched yesterday that you linked to above? The two should be merged perhaps.

Last edited:
Jokiin, I really like the form factor of the Street Guardian. Quite frankly, I haven't seen this model before, aside from your avatar. Quite frankly, I was very impressed by the video review and the product reviews on amazon.com. Should I decide that I want to exchange my mini 0806 for a Street Guardian, can I still use the same 5V, 2.1 amp Scosche power adapter I setup for my 0806?

Thanks Dashmellow. I'll have to do some further research on the Mobius. BTW, can that also use the same power adapter I mentioned above?

the problem for a lot of these cameras is they bring them to market and then try and work out how to make them cheaper so the first version and more recent versions aren't always comparable

Should I decide that I want to exchange my mini 0806 for a Street Guardian, can I still use the same 5V, 2.1 amp Scosche power adapter I setup for my 0806?

will run off one of those no problem, ours is Mini USB rather than Micro SUB though

Hmmm. Okay, so I would need to swap out the USB cables. I don't want to sound fickle, but all of the 0806 problems indicated in this forum are really making me nervous. However, I did purchase a 3-year SquareTrade warranty so perhaps I should stick with the 0806 and hope for the best. I live in an area with a relatively mild climate so I don't think I'll need to worry about any temperature failures. I am very impressed with the Street Guardian though. :)

The 0806 is an excellent camera if it works properly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say. Or you could install a Street Guardian up front and move the 0806 to the rear.

The 0806 is an excellent camera if it works properly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say. Or you could install a Street Guardian up front and move the 0806 to the rear.

Actually, I'm still within SpyTec's return window. :)

will run off one of those no problem, ours is Mini USB rather than Micro SUB though

Quite frankly I do appreciate your and Pier28's involvement in this forum, which I'm sure is comforting to your customers. I'm assuming you're the manufacturer and Pier28 is one of your distributors. Is that correct?

BTW, who is the Mini 0806 guy. Does he or she participate in this forum?

Actually, I'm still within SpyTec's return window. :)

It seems that you are really still shopping for a camera. Although you "can" return the camera to Spytec, somehow I don't think their policy was ever intended so that buyers can return a used camera to them after they find something they like better elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't try to take advantage of a well known, reliable vendor like that, but that's just me I guess.

It seems that you are really still shopping for a camera. Although you "can" return the camera to Spytec, somehow I don't think their policy was ever intended so that buyers can return a used camera to them after they find something they like better elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't try to take advantage of a well known, reliable vendor like that, but that's just me I guess.

No, I'm not still shopping for a camera and I have no intentions of taking advantage of SpyTec. My first 0806 didn't work properly, so SpyTec sent me a replacement—which I haven't installed yet. It's brand new, unopened, and still in the box. I was going to install it this weekend, but something came up so I'll likely do it next weekend. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm preparing for the worst. If this replacement has an issue I don't think I can with good conscious stick with this brand. Plus, every time I send a dash cam back I'm out the cost of the postage so I too am taking a hit, albeit small.

Last edited:
No, I'm not still shopping for a camera and I have no intentions of taking advantage of SpyTec. My first 0806 didn't work properly, so SpyTec sent me a replacement—which I haven't installed yet. It's brand new, unopened, and still in the box. I was going to install it this weekend, but something came up so I'll likely do it next weekend. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm preparing for the worst. If this replacement has an issue I don't think I can with good conscious stick with this brand. Plus, every time I send a dash cam back I'm out the cost of the postage so I too am taking a hit, albeit small.

I see, well if it's unopened that's a different story then. I was one of the beta testers of the pre-production samples of 0806 and really like it and am even responsible for a couple of its features. A lot of thought and effort went into creating that camera and it's a shame that so far there have been so many problems in production. I hope they get it sorted out.

Well I have my fingers crossed, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with my purchase if I knew the manufacturer and it's distributor were actively involved in this forum, like jokiin and Pier28. That says a lot–to me. I think SpyTec stops by occasionally, but I don't see any involvement from the manufacturer of the mini 0806. By the way, is he or she on this forum, and if so what is their handle?

There is no one single mini factory, there are many actually with varied quality control. (And varied components as time goes on) Pier28 was initially interested in the mini 0806 as well but we passed. We would rather sell quality over quantity.

There is no one single mini factory, there are many actually with varied quality control. (And varied components as time goes on) Pier28 was initially interested in the mini 0806 as well but we passed. We would rather sell quality over quantity.

I really wish you wouldn't have told me that. My mini 0806 confidence level just went down a few points. :)

And, that probably explains the huge variance in quality.

I really wish you wouldn't have told me that. My mini 0806 confidence level just went down a few points. :)

And, that probably explains the huge variance in quality.
My mini 0806 has been in use since last October and is still working fine, if you have a good one then keep it, not many people end up sending 2 back but if you do have to then it would be reasonable to try something else next time. There have been a few bugs fixed in the firmware since I got mine but the actual hardware hasn't been an issue and it does record a very good image.

Back